What did your first bike mean to you?

::dom::

Feb 28, 2004
I'm talking about your first two wheeler. Not the fixed wheel trike you cycled rounf the front room.

Your first proper bike? The christmas or birthday present you had probably identified well before "that special day" and nagged, conspired, schemed and cajoled your parents until the unrelenting "buy me a bike" paid off. Or you may have saved up all you hard earned pocket or paper round money to get. Maybe it was an old rusting frame with flat tyres and brakes that either didn't work or were seized against the rim so you had to peddle twice as hard to keep up with the rest.

For me it meant independence... I could go anywhere... I was free! I was gone... from dawn to dusk (on non school days) my parents didn't see me... And on rainy days I was pulling the bike apart and putting it back together or building a new on from scrap yard parts.

What was your first bike and what did mean to you?

::dom:: said:
I'm talking about your first two wheeler. Not the fixed wheel trike you cycled rounf the front room.

Your first proper bike? The christmas or birthday present you had probably identified well before "that special day" and nagged, conspired, schemed and cajoled your parents until the unrelenting "buy me a bike" paid off. Or you may have saved up all you hard earned pocket or paper round money to get. Maybe it was an old rusting frame with flat tyres and brakes that either didn't work or were seized against the rim so you had to peddle twice as hard to keep up with the rest.

For me it meant independence... I could go anywhere... I was free! I was gone... from dawn to dusk (on non school days) my parents didn't see me... And on rainy days I was pulling the bike apart and putting it back together or building a new on from scrap yard parts.

What was your first bike and what did mean to you?
Hmm... I still remember my first proper bike, it wasn't that long ago actually, being 17 now. Got my first Bike at around 4-5 i was one of those 'early bloomers' which could ride a two wheel bike at the age of 3
tongue.gif
Anywho. Dad got me one of those really old BMX bikes, we took off all the rust, painted it Jet Black and woah, was she a ride. single speed, pedal breaks, used to wear the hell out of the back wheels by skidding. 5years down the track, my first bike got stolen from my backyard. ****ers
mad.gif

Abit out of topic, so what did my first bike mean? speed. i love speed, speed and adrenaline. Could actually get away from home when i made a hole in the walls playing ball inside the house or after breaking a window.
biggrin.gif

I remember my first bike, it was a boy's bike (I was a tomboy), it was called thunderbike (notice how I started naming my bikes from the start). It was black and red and I can remember the noise the training wheels used to make. I was always into biking, I went through wal-mart bikes like they were toothpicks. All of my friends had one bike the entire time and I must have had 6 bikes from 10-14.

my first proper bike..the one that i have now...is now up and running smoothly. although i have to get use to changing the rear sprocket only....

1 way looking at it...it was a long dream overdue...lol...before i got this bike from someone second hand, i rode rental bike only...the closest i rode before to my own was a spolit MTB with the left/right shiffter damaged and spolit...one of my friends took it out for a ride and he fell...

janiejones said:

Hehe. Yeah, same. If we're talking very first it was a solid steel, bright yellow one-speed (you pedaled backwards to brake) banana seat bike. :D I remember the days out in the street on it with my father teaching me to ride it without training wheels as if it was just yesterday. It of course meant mobility and independence too, and that was important, but the time with my father meant infinitely more.

still remember the 1st one -- used, fenders all stickered up like luggage, an old cruiser-style that started w/ training wheels and just sorta faded away w/o....

now, the first REAL one -- a schwinn stingray, bobbed fender, squared-off slick on the back, banana seat; it took me from waiting on mom for trips & being too far away to walk, to FREE TO ROAM. it was the first step in freedom and independence that eventually led me to a) a weeklong bike trip where i set a personal best speed record; b) phase 1 of my commuter lifestyle, riding to my 1st job; c) reuniting w/ my dad, who was separated from me by my mom's vindictiveness; and d) to my passion in life now, riding at every oportunity!

For me it meant the wind in my hair, unimaginable big air off of massive jumps (3-6 inches in the air feels like flying to a 5 yr old), dozens and dozens of skinned knees and skinned elbows, SPEED SPEED SPEED, and then . . . MORE SPEED!!!

My first bike was a 5th birthday gift and I've been a bike freak ever since.

I still remeber my first bike. Of course, I'm only 13, so it wasn't that long ago:D . I got my first bike because my aunt backed up over my trike, and smushed it into a pancake:( . The my dad said i could get a "big boy bike". I was esctatic. It was a green little thing, with training wheels made by the company bobcat. The good ol days.