what digital camera are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Penny S.

I think my trusty Nikon coolpix 800 that's been to the Yukon and back may have died. I bet the
"system error" repair might run $150+ at that rate I might as well start shopping as the technology
has improved anyway.

I don't know, would *you* fix or replace. I need it for work. ;-)

penny

"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I think my trusty Nikon coolpix 800 that's been to the Yukon and back may have died. I bet the
> "system error" repair might run $150+ at that rate
I
> might as well start shopping as the technology has improved anyway.
>
> I don't know, would *you* fix or replace. I need it for work. ;-)
>
> penny
>
>

Canon S300 Digital Elph. Great friggin camera. Small enough to fit in a pocket, takes fantastic
pictures & mpgs, just kinda expensive...

Put in a 128 MB card and forget about it.

Lance

Penny S. wrote:
> I think my trusty Nikon coolpix 800 that's been to the Yukon and back may have died. I bet the
> "system error" repair might run $150+ at that rate I might as well start shopping as the
> technology has improved anyway.
>
>
> penny
>
>
sony dsc95

Penny S. wrote:
> "system error" repair might run $150+ at that rate I might as well start shopping as the
>
>

I'm waiting for the Olympus C-750 in May.

Greg

--
"Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late, the battles we fought were long and hard,
just not to be consumed by rock n' roll..." - The Mekons

| I think my trusty Nikon coolpix 800 that's been to the Yukon and back may have died. I bet the
| "system error" repair might run $150+ at that rate I might as well start shopping as the
| technology has improved anyway.
|
| I don't know, would *you* fix or replace. I need it for work. ;-)

Nikon 995 or D1x.

If you want/need something that is normal pack size and also accepts a full size flash, without a
flash bracket (like the 995), the Canonn G3 is a great choice.

--
Pete Fagerlin

Save Fruita trails! http://www.petefagerlin.com/bookcliffs.htm

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>
>
> penny
>
>
>
those are to big imo.. I like the sony dsc u20 for size, but it doesn't have an optical zoom. I
still love my cannon el..ph for size and how tuff it is. I have come off some hard drops and seen
the whole display turn to this grid like thing from being slammed so hard and that **** still
kept working. I have it rigged on my handlebars it's fun to take little mpegs.. Next purchase is
a mind DV.

-comb

I
>
>
> penny
>
>
Olympic C2020-old but great...

-Bob

I
>

I'm going holidying in Japan for a month and I'm looking at either the: Canon G3 Canon S45 Nikon
Coolpix 4500 Fuji Finepix 602Z (what is the diff. between the 602Z and the 602ZPRO?)

I guess it depends how hard you ride and how well you can protect them as to what you would carry on
a trail. None of the above would be taken on a trail ride unless I could protect them really well. I
have a HP Photosmart C500 2.1 megapixel camera which I would take to harsh locations because it is
solid and more importantly - didn't cost me a cent :) The cameras above are not pro level, but they
are certainly not average happy snap cameras either - something in between. Fine for taking quick
snaps but allow me to get all creative when I feel like it. I'm also taking a video camera to Japan,
so video capture on the camera is not an issue. I can get you more details on these if you want,
otherwise check out: www.dpreview.com - it's awesome for all things digicam.

HTH hip

Bob wrote:
> "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> I think my trusty Nikon coolpix 800 that's been to the Yukon and back may have died. I bet the
>> "system error" repair might run $150+ at that rate I might as well start shopping as the
>> technology has improved anyway.
>>
>> I don't know, would *you* fix or replace. I need it for work. ;-)
>>
>> penny
>>
>>
> Olympic C2020-old but great...
>
> -Bob
heh, that was the other one I was looking at when I was camera shopping!

I did find out the hubby dropped it while he was up in the attic taking photos in preparation for
our summer re-roofing project...rrrr...

penny

Penny S. wrote:
>

For $150, I'd get a new camera. I'm using an Olympus Camedia but wouldn't recommend it because it
just eats batteries.

I have friends who are impressed with Nikon's. Maybe best to stick with them (?)

--
http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
I
>
>
> penny
>
>

Sony Cybershot DSC-S30

It's not fancy but get's the job done.

RE/
>I think my trusty Nikon coolpix 800 that's been to the Yukon and back may have died. I bet the
>"system error" repair might run $150+ at that rate I might as well start shopping as the technology
>has improved anyway.
>
>I don't know, would *you* fix or replace. I need it for work. ;-)

I was using my Nikon 990 until a couple months ago when I did some ad-hoc research on it - by
experimentally determining that it will definately not continue to function normally after a
six-foot drop to concrete.

I always wanted a smaller camera, so I bought a Minolta Dimage Xi. 3.2mp, 4x zoom, and it really
does fit in the pocket. The pictures are noticibly inferior to the 990's, but still good enough.
Useful to me because I'll always have it handy and any pic is better than no pic.

But I'm still paying $240 to have the 990 fixed. It's OS, IMHO, is the pits - but it does macro and
I've gotten used to the picture quality. I also like the split/pivoting body for shots where the
camera has to be held low.
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 18:11:32 -0800, Penny S. wrote:

Typically, I'll find out how much it costs to fix something before I'll decide to replace it. I'm
not even sure people fix digital cameras, though. With the cost of labor, it might just be
disposable.

I have a Canon A40. Takes nice pictures and you've seen the videos. I thought about going more
upscale, but that'd probably just mean I'd be more hesitant to take it places. I like the fact that
it uses AA batteries, so if my rechargeables run out I can just buy some.

--
-BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
> RE/
>> I think my trusty Nikon coolpix 800 that's been to the Yukon and back may have died. I bet the
>> "system error" repair might run $150+ at that rate I might as well start shopping as the
>> technology has improved anyway.
>>
>> I don't know, would *you* fix or replace. I need it for work. ;-)
>
> I was using my Nikon 990 until a couple months ago when I did some ad-hoc research on it - by
> experimentally determining that it will definately not continue to function normally after a
> six-foot drop to concrete.
>
> I always wanted a smaller camera, so I bought a Minolta Dimage Xi.
> 3.2mp, 4x zoom, and it really does fit in the pocket. The pictures are noticibly inferior to the
> 990's, but still good enough. Useful to me because I'll always have it handy and any pic is
> better than no pic.
>
> But I'm still paying $240 to have the 990 fixed. It's OS, IMHO, is the pits - but it does macro
> and I've gotten used to the picture quality. I also like the split/pivoting body for shots where
> the camera has to be held low.
> -----------------------
> PeteCresswell

The Nikon does have a nice macro but the 800 doesn't have the optical zoom at all. That's the one
feature I would really like to have. The flash is not great either, but that hasn't been a problem.
Oh, well... I've got to go though the steps of getting the estimate anyway.

penny

RE/
>but the 800 doesn't have the optical zoom at all. That's the one feature I would really
>like to have

Why optical zoom? To see the subject better? Other than that, everything I've heard so far suggests
that you get better quality by just re-sizing/zooming later on in the graphics editor.
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
> RE/
>> but the 800 doesn't have the optical zoom at all. That's the one feature I would really like
>> to have
>
> Why optical zoom? To see the subject better? Other than that, everything I've heard so far
> suggests that you get better quality by just re-sizing/zooming later on in the graphics editor.
> -----------------------
> PeteCresswell

I found the zoom on the Nikon really sucks for things like getting shots of my son when he's playing
soccer or on teh stage with the school band. A digital zoom seems to be very limited; an optical
zoom is much more clear. I've seen how the optical looks when looking on other's cameras, far
superior. Doen side by side comparisons at the last band concert. Of course I"m not a camera geek so
I am sure someone will either clarify or flame me for getting it wrong soon enough.

Penny

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
> RE/
>
>>but the 800 doesn't have the optical zoom at all. That's the one feature I would really
>>like to have
>
>
> Why optical zoom? To see the subject better? Other than that, everything I've heard so far
> suggests that you get better quality by just re-sizing/zooming later on in the graphics editor.

Depends on what you're zooming in on. If it's wildlife or a rider at some distance then zooming in
digitally looks like ****.

Greg

--
"Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late, the battles we fought were long and hard,
just not to be consumed by rock n' roll..." - The Mekons

On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 10:13:26 -0800, Penny S. wrote:

> I found the zoom on the Nikon really sucks for things like getting shots of my son when he's
> playing soccer or on teh stage with the school band. A digital zoom seems to be very limited; an
> optical zoom is much more clear.

I agree, but there's another "option", if you want to call it that - if you have a high enough
multipixel camera, you can often just cut pieces out of it (after its been exported to the
computer) and still have plenty of resolution (especially for web pics). I believe that's what he
was talking about.

--
-BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

G.T. wrote:
> (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
>> RE/
>>
>>> but the 800 doesn't have the optical zoom at all. That's the one feature I would really like
>>> to have
>>
>>
>> Why optical zoom? To see the subject better? Other than that, everything I've heard so far
>> suggests that you get better quality by just re-sizing/zooming later on in the graphics editor.
>
> Depends on what you're zooming in on. If it's wildlife or a rider at some distance then zooming in
> digitally looks like ****.
>
> Greg

That's exactly what I am talking about.

penny

RE/
>I found the zoom on the Nikon really sucks for things like getting shots of my son when he's
>playing soccer or on teh stage with the school band. A digital zoom seems to be very limited; an
>optical zoom is much more clear. I've seen how the optical looks when looking on other's cameras,
>far superior

Sorry - I got the terms reversed. I was responding as if it were digital zoom.

RCI strikes again...
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

Status
Not open for further replies.