what digital camera are you using?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Penny S., Mar 21, 2003.

  1. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    I think my trusty Nikon coolpix 800 that's been to the Yukon and back may have died. I bet the
    "system error" repair might run $150+ at that rate I might as well start shopping as the technology
    has improved anyway.

    I don't know, would *you* fix or replace. I need it for work. ;-)

    penny

    Tags:

  2. L Hays

    L Hays Guest

    > I think my trusty Nikon coolpix 800 that's been to the Yukon and back may have died. I bet the
    > "system error" repair might run $150+ at that rate
    > might as well start shopping as the technology has improved anyway.
    >
    > I don't know, would *you* fix or replace. I need it for work. ;-)
    >
    > penny

    Canon S300 Digital Elph. Great friggin camera. Small enough to fit in a pocket, takes fantastic
    pictures & mpgs, just kinda expensive...

    Put in a 128 MB card and forget about it.

    Lance

  3. Penny S. wrote:
    > I think my trusty Nikon coolpix 800 that's been to the Yukon and back may have died. I bet the
    > "system error" repair might run $150+ at that rate I might as well start shopping as the
    > technology has improved anyway.
    >
    > I don't know, would *you* fix or replace. I need it for work. ;-)
    >
    > penny

    sony dsc95

  4. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Penny S. wrote:
    > I think my trusty Nikon coolpix 800 that's been to the Yukon and back may have died. I bet the
    > "system error" repair might run $150+ at that rate I might as well start shopping as the
    > technology has improved anyway.
    >
    > I don't know, would *you* fix or replace. I need it for work. ;-)

    I'm waiting for the Olympus C-750 in May.

    Greg

  5. "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | I think my trusty Nikon coolpix 800 that's been to the Yukon and back may have died. I bet the
    | "system error" repair might run $150+ at that rate I might as well start shopping as the
    | technology has improved anyway.
    |
    | I don't know, would *you* fix or replace. I need it for work. ;-)

    Nikon 995 or D1x.

    If you want/need something that is normal pack size and also accepts a full size flash, without a
    flash bracket (like the 995), the Canonn G3 is a great choice.

    --
    Pete Fagerlin

    Save Fruita trails! http://www.petefagerlin.com/bookcliffs.htm

  6. Combfilter

    Combfilter Guest

    > I think my trusty Nikon coolpix 800 that's been to the Yukon and back may have died. I bet the
    > "system error" repair might run $150+ at that rate I might as well start shopping as the
    > technology has improved anyway.
    >
    > I don't know, would *you* fix or replace. I need it for work. ;-)
    >
    > penny

    those are to big imo.. I like the sony dsc u20 for size, but it doesn't have an optical zoom. I
    still love my cannon el..ph for size and how tuff it is. I have come off some hard drops and seen
    the whole display turn to this grid like thing from being slammed so hard and that shit still
    kept working. I have it rigged on my handlebars it's fun to take little mpegs.. Next purchase is
    a mind DV.

    -comb

  7. Bob

    Bob Guest

    > I think my trusty Nikon coolpix 800 that's been to the Yukon and back may have died. I bet the
    > "system error" repair might run $150+ at that rate
    > might as well start shopping as the technology has improved anyway.
    >
    > I don't know, would *you* fix or replace. I need it for work. ;-)
    >
    > penny

    Olympic C2020-old but great...

    -Bob

  8. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    > I think my trusty Nikon coolpix 800 that's been to the Yukon and back may have died. I bet the
    > "system error" repair might run $150+ at that rate
    > might as well start shopping as the technology has improved anyway.
    >
    > I don't know, would *you* fix or replace. I need it for work. ;-)

    I'm going holidying in Japan for a month and I'm looking at either the: Canon G3 Canon S45 Nikon
    Coolpix 4500 Fuji Finepix 602Z (what is the diff. between the 602Z and the 602ZPRO?)

    I guess it depends how hard you ride and how well you can protect them as to what you would carry on
    a trail. None of the above would be taken on a trail ride unless I could protect them really well. I
    have a HP Photosmart C500 2.1 megapixel camera which I would take to harsh locations because it is
    solid and more importantly - didn't cost me a cent :) The cameras above are not pro level, but they
    are certainly not average happy snap cameras either - something in between. Fine for taking quick
    snaps but allow me to get all creative when I feel like it. I'm also taking a video camera to Japan,
    so video capture on the camera is not an issue. I can get you more details on these if you want,
    otherwise check out: www.dpreview.com - it's awesome for all things digicam.

    HTH hip

  9. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Bob wrote:
    >> I think my trusty Nikon coolpix 800 that's been to the Yukon and back may have died. I bet the
    >> "system error" repair might run $150+ at that rate I might as well start shopping as the
    >> technology has improved anyway.
    >>
    >> I don't know, would *you* fix or replace. I need it for work. ;-)
    >>
    >> penny
    >>

    > Olympic C2020-old but great...
    >
    > -Bob
    heh, that was the other one I was looking at when I was camera shopping!

    I did find out the hubby dropped it while he was up in the attic taking photos in preparation for
    our summer re-roofing project...rrrr...

    penny

  10. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Penny S. wrote:
    > I think my trusty Nikon coolpix 800 that's been to the Yukon and back may have died. I bet the
    > "system error" repair might run $150+ at that rate I might as well start shopping as the
    > technology has improved anyway.
    >
    > I don't know, would *you* fix or replace. I need it for work. ;-)

    For $150, I'd get a new camera. I'm using an Olympus Camedia but wouldn't recommend it because it
    just eats batteries.

    I have friends who are impressed with Nikon's. Maybe best to stick with them (?)

  11. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    --
    http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I think my trusty Nikon coolpix 800 that's been to the Yukon and back may have died. I bet the
    > "system error" repair might run $150+ at that rate
    > might as well start shopping as the technology has improved anyway.
    >
    > I don't know, would *you* fix or replace. I need it for work. ;-)
    >
    > penny

    Sony Cybershot DSC-S30

    It's not fancy but get's the job done.

  12. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >I think my trusty Nikon coolpix 800 that's been to the Yukon and back may have died. I bet the
    >"system error" repair might run $150+ at that rate I might as well start shopping as the technology
    >has improved anyway.
    >
    >I don't know, would *you* fix or replace. I need it for work. ;-)

    I was using my Nikon 990 until a couple months ago when I did some ad-hoc research on it - by
    experimentally determining that it will definately not continue to function normally after a
    six-foot drop to concrete.

    I always wanted a smaller camera, so I bought a Minolta Dimage Xi. 3.2mp, 4x zoom, and it really
    does fit in the pocket. The pictures are noticibly inferior to the 990's, but still good enough.
    Useful to me because I'll always have it handy and any pic is better than no pic.

    But I'm still paying $240 to have the 990 fixed. It's OS, IMHO, is the pits - but it does macro and
    I've gotten used to the picture quality. I also like the split/pivoting body for shots where the
    camera has to be held low.
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  13. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 18:11:32 -0800, Penny S. wrote:

    > I don't know, would *you* fix or replace. I need it for work. ;-)

    Typically, I'll find out how much it costs to fix something before I'll decide to replace it. I'm
    not even sure people fix digital cameras, though. With the cost of labor, it might just be
    disposable.

    I have a Canon A40. Takes nice pictures and you've seen the videos. I thought about going more
    upscale, but that'd probably just mean I'd be more hesitant to take it places. I like the fact that
    it uses AA batteries, so if my rechargeables run out I can just buy some.

  14. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
    > RE/
    >> I think my trusty Nikon coolpix 800 that's been to the Yukon and back may have died. I bet the
    >> "system error" repair might run $150+ at that rate I might as well start shopping as the
    >> technology has improved anyway.
    >>
    >> I don't know, would *you* fix or replace. I need it for work. ;-)
    >
    > I was using my Nikon 990 until a couple months ago when I did some ad-hoc research on it - by
    > experimentally determining that it will definately not continue to function normally after a
    > six-foot drop to concrete.
    >
    > I always wanted a smaller camera, so I bought a Minolta Dimage Xi.
    > 3.2mp, 4x zoom, and it really does fit in the pocket. The pictures are noticibly inferior to the
    > 990's, but still good enough. Useful to me because I'll always have it handy and any pic is
    > better than no pic.
    >
    > But I'm still paying $240 to have the 990 fixed. It's OS, IMHO, is the pits - but it does macro
    > and I've gotten used to the picture quality. I also like the split/pivoting body for shots where
    > the camera has to be held low.
    > -----------------------
    > PeteCresswell

    The Nikon does have a nice macro but the 800 doesn't have the optical zoom at all. That's the one
    feature I would really like to have. The flash is not great either, but that hasn't been a problem.
    Oh, well... I've got to go though the steps of getting the estimate anyway.

    penny

  15. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >but the 800 doesn't have the optical zoom at all. That's the one feature I would really
    >like to have

    Why optical zoom? To see the subject better? Other than that, everything I've heard so far suggests
    that you get better quality by just re-sizing/zooming later on in the graphics editor.
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  16. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
    > RE/
    >> but the 800 doesn't have the optical zoom at all. That's the one feature I would really like
    >> to have
    >
    > Why optical zoom? To see the subject better? Other than that, everything I've heard so far
    > suggests that you get better quality by just re-sizing/zooming later on in the graphics editor.
    > -----------------------
    > PeteCresswell

    I found the zoom on the Nikon really sucks for things like getting shots of my son when he's playing
    soccer or on teh stage with the school band. A digital zoom seems to be very limited; an optical
    zoom is much more clear. I've seen how the optical looks when looking on other's cameras, far
    superior. Doen side by side comparisons at the last band concert. Of course I"m not a camera geek so
    I am sure someone will either clarify or flame me for getting it wrong soon enough.

    Penny

  17. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
    > RE/
    >
    >>but the 800 doesn't have the optical zoom at all. That's the one feature I would really
    >>like to have
    >

    > Why optical zoom? To see the subject better? Other than that, everything I've heard so far
    > suggests that you get better quality by just re-sizing/zooming later on in the graphics editor.

    Depends on what you're zooming in on. If it's wildlife or a rider at some distance then zooming in
    digitally looks like crap.

    Greg

  18. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 10:13:26 -0800, Penny S. wrote:

    > I found the zoom on the Nikon really sucks for things like getting shots of my son when he's
    > playing soccer or on teh stage with the school band. A digital zoom seems to be very limited; an
    > optical zoom is much more clear.

    I agree, but there's another "option", if you want to call it that - if you have a high enough
    multipixel camera, you can often just cut pieces out of it (after its been exported to the
    computer) and still have plenty of resolution (especially for web pics). I believe that's what he
    was talking about.

  19. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    G.T. wrote:
    > (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
    >> RE/
    >>
    >>> but the 800 doesn't have the optical zoom at all. That's the one feature I would really like
    >>> to have
    >>

    >> Why optical zoom? To see the subject better? Other than that, everything I've heard so far
    >> suggests that you get better quality by just re-sizing/zooming later on in the graphics editor.
    >
    > Depends on what you're zooming in on. If it's wildlife or a rider at some distance then zooming in
    > digitally looks like crap.
    >
    > Greg

    That's exactly what I am talking about.

    penny

  20. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >I found the zoom on the Nikon really sucks for things like getting shots of my son when he's
    >playing soccer or on teh stage with the school band. A digital zoom seems to be very limited; an
    >optical zoom is much more clear. I've seen how the optical looks when looking on other's cameras,
    >far superior

    Sorry - I got the terms reversed. I was responding as if it were digital zoom.

    RCI strikes again...
    PeteCresswell