what digital camera are you using?

G.T. <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
> > RE/
> >
> >>but the 800 doesn't have the optical zoom at all. That's the one feature I would really like
> >>to have
> >

> > Why optical zoom? To see the subject better? Other than that, everything I've heard so far
> > suggests that you get
better
> > quality by just re-sizing/zooming later on in the graphics editor.
>
> Depends on what you're zooming in on. If it's wildlife or a rider at some distance then zooming in
> digitally looks like ****.

Shaun aRe

In article <[email protected]>, BB <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 10:13:26 -0800, Penny S. wrote:
>
> > I found the zoom on the Nikon really sucks for things like getting shots of my son when he's
> > playing soccer or on teh stage with the school band. A digital zoom seems to be very limited; an
> > optical zoom is much more clear.
>
> I agree, but there's another "option", if you want to call it that - if you have a high enough
> multipixel camera, you can often just cut pieces out of it (after its been exported to the
> computer) and still have plenty of resolution (especially for web pics). I believe that's what he
> was talking about.

However, to maintain the resolution of even 2x optical zoom you'd have to quadruple the megapixels.
Conversely, a camera with double the megapixel capacity will only allow you to crop & edit the
equivalent of
1.4x magnification before resolution starts to degrade.

Not to mention that you're filling up your memory stick quickly with unnecessary image pixels that
will be cropped out. It's generally more efficient to rely on optical zoom and reduce the image
resolution to what your final medium will be, especially for web- and e-mail pictures.

Van

--
Van Bagnol / v a n at wco dot com / c r l at bagnol dot com ...enjoys - Theatre / Windsurfing /
Skydiving / Mountain Biking ...feels - "Parang lumalakad ako sa loob ng paniginip" ...thinks - "An