what digital camera are you using?

> (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
> > RE/
> >> but the 800 doesn't have the optical zoom at all. That's the one feature I would really like
> >> to have
> >
> > Why optical zoom? To see the subject better? Other than that, everything I've heard so far
> > suggests that you get better quality by just re-sizing/zooming later on in the graphics editor.
> > -----------------------
> > PeteCresswell
>
> I found the zoom on the Nikon really sucks for things like getting shots
of
> my son when he's playing soccer or on teh stage with the school band. A digital zoom seems to be
> very limited; an optical zoom is much more clear. I've seen how the optical looks when looking on
> other's cameras, far superior. Doen side by side comparisons at the last band concert. Of
course
> I"m not a camera geek so I am sure someone will either clarify or flame me for getting it wrong
> soon enough.
>
> Penny

No you're right as far as digital/optical zoom goes. Though it's been replaced with a model with
higher res and less zoom but I have a Olympus Ultra Zoom C-700. It has a 10x optical zoom (I don't
even use the digital zoom) with a fairly bright fast lens which captures action shots very well even
at a distance. It also has a Quicktime movie mode with sound. It's a bit of a chunk to carry along
on rides however and I'm a little scairt to fall on a $475 camera.

Here's a sample shot http://www.pbase.com/image/2736714 Note this was reduced 50% before uploading.
I was standing a fair distance from the jump too.

Mike

| No you're right as far as digital/optical zoom goes. Though it's been replaced with a model with
| higher res and less zoom but I have a Olympus Ultra Zoom C-700. It has a 10x optical zoom (I don't
| even use the digital zoom) with a fairly bright fast lens which captures action shots very well
| even at a distance. It also has a Quicktime movie mode with sound. It's a bit of a chunk to carry
| along on rides however

*****.

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/PeteonMilagrosa.jpg (note pack angle as I
forgot to strap it down for that part of the descent)

The rewards of getting some great pictures outweigh (pun intended) the sore back that comes after
doing a long tech ride with a camera body, two lenses, flash, extra batteries, etc.

For the single speed mafia:

Rigid SS, Vans, surf shorts, skate helmet and out-riding the stormtroopers on 8" bikes.

http://www.paradigmhosting.net/azsf/a1.jpg

http://www.paradigmhosting.net/azsf/a2.jpg

--
Pete "aforementioned camera geek" Fagerlin

Save Fruita trails! http://www.petefagerlin.com/bookcliffs.htm

: I think my trusty Nikon coolpix 800 that's been to the Yukon and back may have died. I bet the
: "system error" repair might run $150+ at that rate
: might as well start shopping as the technology has improved anyway.
:
: I don't know, would *you* fix or replace. I need it for work. ;-)
:
: penny
:
:

Olympus D510. Doesn't have all the features but it takes good shots and is light weight (which is
why I decided on it... for backpacking and mtb'ing). Along with a backpacking, collapsible tripod
it's all I need in a camera. Well... at least until I can afford one of those $1000+ dealies.

--

FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com

--

"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I think my trusty Nikon coolpix 800 that's been to the Yukon and back may have died. I bet the
> "system error" repair might run $150+ at that rate I might as well start shopping as the
> technology has improved anyway.
>
> I don't know, would *you* fix or replace. I need it for work. ;-)
>
> penny

Been using a Minolta Diimage X a little bitty camera that is super flat and fits great in my back
pocket so it's easy to pull out in a hurry. It's only 2 megapixels but I don't know that you
really need a higher resolution camera for trail photos. Sometimes it would be nice to have a
higher zoom though.

-- Dennis

> > I was using my Nikon 990 until a couple months ago when I did some ad-hoc research on it - by
> > experimentally determining that it will definately not continue to function normally after a
> > six-foot drop to concrete.
>
> The Nikon does have a nice macro but the 800 doesn't have the optical zoom at all. That's the one
> feature I would really like to have. The flash is not great either, but that hasn't been a
> problem. Oh, well... I've got to go though the steps of getting the estimate anyway.
>
> penny

Well, you shouldn't really use the flash. In fact, it's evil. Here's an example of what you can get
without it (all these taken with the
990):

http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/****/headtubesareimportant.jpg

IMO, much more interesting. Especially since I didn't know the guy.

You mention macro... Here's an example of that. (this pic is 1.3MB)

http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/****/eye.jpg

Again, avoid the flash!

http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/****/desat.jpg

The 990 is even workable as a studio cam (this pic is one of me):

http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/****/smallscary.jpg

Phil, Squid-in-Training

Phil wrote:

> You mention macro... Here's an example of that. (this pic is 1.3MB)
>
> http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/****/eye.jpg

That one's excellent!

Greg

Phil wrote:

> Well, you shouldn't really use the flash. In fact, it's evil. Here's an example of what you can
> get without it (all these taken with the
> 990):
>
> http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/****/headtubesareimportant.jpg

Cool... how'd you do that?

Penny

"Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| > > I was using my Nikon 990 until a couple months ago when I did some ad-hoc research on it - by
| > > experimentally determining that it will definately not continue to function normally after a
| > > six-foot drop to concrete.
| >
| > The Nikon does have a nice macro but the 800 doesn't have the optical zoom at all. That's the
| > one feature I would really like to have. The flash is not great either, but that hasn't been a
| > problem. Oh, well... I've got to go though the steps of getting the estimate anyway.
| >
| > penny
|
| Well, you shouldn't really use the flash. In fact, it's evil. Here's an example of what you can
| get without it (all these taken with the
| 990):
|
| http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/****/headtubesareimportant.jpg
|
| IMO, much more interesting. Especially since I didn't know the guy.

I disagree.

Using flash, and slow shutter speeds, and panning, you can get much better shots than no flash at
all, especially in the forest.

For instance, this shot would not have worked without flash due to the available light:

http://home.pacbell.net/psf0/bc02/duncandrop.jpg

| Again, avoid the flash!
|
| http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/****/desat.jpg

Of course that would be an unneccessary place for flash, especially given the reflective nature of
autos. Panning always imparts a feeling of speed if the background is blurred sufficiently.

http://home.pacbell.net/psf0/tomdee.jpg

Flash also comes in handy when you need fill flash to illuminate important features that will be
in shadow:

http://www.paradigmhosting.net/azsf/ja2.jpg

Since photography is painting with light, flash will always have its place.

--
Pete Fagerlin

Save Fruita trails! http://www.petefagerlin.com/bookcliffs.htm

news:<%[email protected]>...
> > I think my trusty Nikon coolpix 800 that's been to the Yukon and back may have died. I bet the
> > "system error" repair might run $150+ at that rate
> > might as well start shopping as the technology has improved anyway.
> >
> > I don't know, would *you* fix or replace. I need it for work. ;-)
>
> I'm going holidying in Japan for a month and I'm looking at either the: Canon G3 Canon S45 Nikon
> Coolpix 4500 Fuji Finepix 602Z (what is the diff. between the 602Z and the 602ZPRO?)

> The cameras above are not pro level, but they are certainly not average happy snap cameras either
> - something in between. Fine for taking quick snaps but allow me to get all creative when I feel
> like it.
>
> HTH hip

i have 4500, and one thing it most definitely doesn't have is the ability to take quick snaps. it
takes 'forever' (more than 1 sec) from the time i press the shutter release button and until the
picture is taken, and some time more until it is stored. i tried filming people and animals, and
unless it was posing for me, i couldn't do that. nikon recommends prefocusing (half pressing the
button), but this means planning your photo well in advance. simply put, i don't use my camera.

ittay

"P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> | >
> | > The Nikon does have a nice macro but the 800 doesn't have the optical zoom at all. That's the
> | > one feature I would really like to have. The flash is not great either, but that hasn't been a
> | > problem. Oh, well... I've got to go though the steps of getting the estimate anyway.
> | >
> | > penny
> |
> | Well, you shouldn't really use the flash. In fact, it's evil. Here's an example of what you can
> | get without it (all these taken with the
> | 990):
> |
> | http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/****/headtubesareimportant.jpg
> |
> | IMO, much more interesting. Especially since I didn't know the guy.
>
> I disagree.
>
> Using flash, and slow shutter speeds, and panning, you can get much better shots than no flash at
> all, especially in the forest.

Yes - for those conditions, you'd have to resort to flash. My main gripe is with the artificiality
of flash photos. I guess you could say I'm more of a minimalist when it comes to these things.

> Flash also comes in handy when you need fill flash to illuminate important features that will be
> in shadow:
>
> http://www.paradigmhosting.net/azsf/ja2.jpg
>
> Since photography is painting with light, flash will always have its place.

I was speaking mainly in reference to people who don't know any better than to use the flash
exclusively, when it's really not necessary. Oftentimes it's simply lack of experience. Not using
the flash promotes smoother panning and IMO, better technique. When it comes down to our styles,
they're somewhat different.

I guess I'm just an available light person.

Phil, Squid-in-Training

"Ittay Freiman" <[email protected]> wrote in message

| i have 4500, and one thing it most definitely doesn't have is the ability to take quick snaps. it
| takes 'forever' (more than 1 sec) from the time i press the shutter release button and until the
| picture is taken, and some time more until it is stored. i tried filming people and animals, and
| unless it was posing for me, i couldn't do that. nikon recommends prefocusing (half pressing the
| button), but this means planning your photo well in advance. simply put, i don't use my camera.

Prefocusing works just fine, for people:

http://www.petefagerlin.com/images/bc/shore/k_wd_stump.jpg

and animals:

http://www.petefagerlin.com/africa/africa/leopard/images/DSCN4806.jpg

Practice, practice, practice.

--
Pete Fagerlin

P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:
> "Ittay Freiman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>> i have 4500, and one thing it most definitely doesn't have is the ability to take quick snaps. it
>> takes 'forever' (more than 1 sec) from the time i press the shutter release button and until the
>> picture is taken, and some time more until it is stored. i tried filming people and animals, and
>> unless it was posing for me, i couldn't do that. nikon recommends prefocusing (half pressing the
>> button), but this means planning your photo well in advance. simply put, i don't use my camera.
>
> Prefocusing works just fine, for people:
>
> http://www.petefagerlin.com/images/bc/shore/k_wd_stump.jpg
>
> and animals:
>
> http://www.petefagerlin.com/africa/africa/leopard/images/DSCN4806.jpg
>
> Practice, practice, practice.

Pete.. if you ever want to add a how-to still section to your site, I'd love read what you
have to offer.

penny

Penny S. wrote:
> P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:
>
>>"Ittay Freiman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>

>>>i have 4500, and one thing it most definitely doesn't have is the ability to take quick snaps. it
>>>takes 'forever' (more than 1 sec) from the time i press the shutter release button and until the
>>>picture is taken, and some time more until it is stored. i tried filming people and animals, and
>>>unless it was posing for me, i couldn't do that. nikon recommends prefocusing (half pressing the
>>>button), but this means planning your photo well in advance. simply put, i don't use my camera.
>>
>>Prefocusing works just fine, for people:
>>
>>http://www.petefagerlin.com/images/bc/shore/k_wd_stump.jpg
>>
>>and animals:
>>
>>http://www.petefagerlin.com/africa/africa/leopard/images/DSCN4806.jpg
>>
>>Practice, practice, practice.
>

> Pete.. if you ever want to add a how-to still section to your site, I'd love read what you have
> to offer.
>
> penny

Would be very intriguing. Taking still shots (albeit not as well or as artistic as yours) with an
SLR isn't too bad, since there's essentially no lag time between trigger and shutter, and you can
prefocus really easily. However, I'm still working out how to do it well with my digital, so taking
shots with a digital camera specifically would be great.

Jon Bond

"P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> | No you're right as far as digital/optical zoom goes. Though it's been replaced with a model with
> | higher res and less zoom but I have a Olympus Ultra Zoom C-700. It has a 10x optical zoom (I
> | don't even use the
digital
> | zoom) with a fairly bright fast lens which captures action shots very
well
> | even at a distance. It also has a Quicktime movie mode with sound.
It's a
> | bit of a chunk to carry along on rides however
>
> *****.

Hehehe...

> http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/PeteonMilagrosa.jpg
(note pack angle
> as I forgot to strap it down for that part of the descent)
>
> The rewards of getting some great pictures outweigh (pun intended) the
sore back that
> comes after doing a long tech ride with a camera body, two lenses, flash,
extra batteries,
> etc.

It's not so much the weight, as the size and the potential for damage (the way I ride!). I'll have
to invest in a HAWG to carry it with padding. I have a smaller / cheaper Olympus Camedia 500
something that fits in Camelbaks Comm Pocket.

> For the single speed mafia:
>
> Rigid SS, Vans, surf shorts, skate helmet and out-riding the stormtroopers
on 8" bikes.

> http://www.paradigmhosting.net/azsf/a1.jpg
>
> http://www.paradigmhosting.net/azsf/a2.jpg

I have lot's of admiration for style and skill esp. when combined!

On another photography related note...be careful standing in front of a photographer after he's
picked his spot.

http://www.pbase.com/image/14628960

Mike - or your **** will be all over the internet. ;^)

"(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> RE/
> >but the 800 doesn't have the optical zoom at all. That's the one feature I would really like
> >to have
>
> Why optical zoom? To see the subject better?

You get a better resolution with the optical zoom. A digital zoom is just like looking closer
at your computer monitor. Sure things look bigger, but you begin to see the dots that make up
the picture.

> Other than that, everything I've heard so far suggests that you get better quality by just
> re-sizing/zooming later on in the graphics editor.

I don't know where you would have heard that. By using a good optical zoom you can get the 'best
picture' quality to begin with. After that any zooming, be it in the camera with a digital zoom or
outside the camera on the computer, begins to degrade that initial quality. BTW, 're-sizing' in a
graphics editor is another whole different kettle of fish. Resizing has it's own set of implications
for quality.
--
Westie

Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I think my trusty Nikon coolpix 800 that's been to the Yukon and back may have died. I bet the
> "system error" repair might run $150+ at that rate
> might as well start shopping as the technology has improved anyway.
>
> I don't know, would *you* fix or replace. I need it for work. ;-)

Fix it, replace it, send old one to me.

Shaun aRe - HTH, HAND!