What do Eurotards think about the United States dominating the Tour Le France

The Magnificent ******* <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Cycling is one of the most popular sports in Europe, second to only
> soccer. Ok, and maybe third behind darts in the UK.

Darts would be an ideal sport for citizens of the most clinically
obese nation in the world, the USA.

> So what do people in Europe think about the United States dominating the
> Tour Le France?

I think if you have to cut your nuts off to do it, like Armstrong did,
it ain't worth it.

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 17:32:38 -0500, The Magnificent *******
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 22:18:37 GMT, in alt.tv.sopranos, H. Morgan rubs the
>lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again. It does this
>whenever it's told -
>

>> On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 11:02:53 -0500, The Magnificent *******
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 03:42:21 GMT, in alt.tv.sopranos, H. Morgan rubs the
>> >lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again. It does this
>> >whenever it's told -

>> >You seem very angry, H. Morgan.
>> >

>> Not angry, but I have to laugh when I watch any US news. Your nation
>> is terrified of everything (thanks to the idiot you have running you).
>> Which, of course, is the purpose of terrorism.

>You find terrorism funny?
>
>You're a sick person.

No, I find your country funny currently (and sick).

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 22:29:31 -0500, The Magnificent *******
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 22:20:17 -0500, in alt.tv.sopranos, Tim McNamara
>rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again. It does
>this whenever it's told -
>

>> The Magnificent ******* <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>> > On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 22:44:52 -0700, in alt.tv.sopranos, Juice rubs
>> > the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again. It does
>> > this whenever it's told -

>> > Who gives a flying "F" about sailing? It's not even really a sport,
>> > is it?

>> More of a sport than golf or driving a car in circles for three hours.

>But Americans are the best at golf and autoracing.
>
>So what's your point?

Since when is Michael Schumacher American?

Werehatrack wrote:

> The OP appears to epitomize the kind of cretin that has caused the US
> untold grief over the years by mindlessly bashing people elsewhere
> without ever stopping to think about the fact that they live on the
> same planet...but that's at least in part a political discussion, and
> if there's one thig that I'm well and truly fed up with, it's
> politics.

A good troll should be subtle. The OP is clearly a beginner.

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 11:16:54 -0500, MR SMARTYPANTS
<[email protected]> added the following words, followed by my
wisdom:

>I all boils down to the rampant homosexuality in the Euro culture.
>If they would stop popping the poopers they would procreate and expand
>the gene pool. Tis would give them a better chance of fieling a winner
>every now and then. It would also help if they were to bath more
>frequently. Then they might be more attracted to the opposite sex!

Is that you, George Bush?
--
"The most important thing is for us to find Osama bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him."
- The Chimp 13-Sep-01 (the same day he was flying bin Laden's relatives out of the country)

"I don't know where he is. I have no idea and I really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority."
- The Chimp 13-Mar-02 (less than six months later)

Doofer wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 18:08:23 -0400, "sanjian" <[email protected]>
> wrote:

>>> So what do you propose? A limit based on size of population for the
>>> number of athletes a nation may send to the Olympics?

>> I suggest you don't draw conclusions the facts don't warrent.

> I seem to be the only person actually posting facts. Perhaps you'd
> care to join this exclusive club.

My arguments are that your facts don't support your conclusion. Here, then,
are my facts:

- 2+2=4
- A body accelerates towards the earth at approximately 9.8 m/sec^2 when
near the earth.
- A circle is the set of all points in a plane, that are a given distance
from a specific point.

All are true, and all are just as relevent as your fact.

> The charge was levelled that the US has better sportsmen simply
> because the greatest cyclist the World has ever known in from the US.
>
> I disproved this argument by showing that in a European population
> sample more or less equal to the US's population, there were nearly
> double the number of medal winners.
>
> My proof was questioned on the basis that the European team would be
> bigger than the US team.
>
> I countered this attempt at a disproof by arguing that the best
> sportsmen would always be selected, and that there is no limit on a
> team size anyway.

When you're dealing with athletics at that level, "the best" isn't often all
that meaningful. Yes, there are better bets (in distance running, I would
put my money on Adam Felcher, Aaron Culpepper, and Mab Mflaskie over other
US runners, but that doesn't mean that Alex Shelley won't outrun them in any
given race), but "upsets" aren't really all that uncommon or upsetting.
Hell, there are people on the top ranks now, who weren't even on the horizon
two years ago.

Considering what separates atheletes at that level, if you spam, you will
take more. The US is forced to leave behind many very serious contenders,
because of the size of our team. If we decided that the US was going to
send a team from every state, you would hear alot of complaining from
Europe.

> Where are my conclusions, drawn from the facts wrong?

Your facts are right. You just analyzed them wrong.

> Alteratively you could agree that you've lost the argument, and that
> way you get to have the final say.

I now extend that same offer to you.

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> Werehatrack wrote:
>
>> The OP appears to epitomize the kind of cretin that has caused the US
>> untold grief over the years by mindlessly bashing people elsewhere
>> without ever stopping to think about the fact that they live on the
>> same planet...but that's at least in part a political discussion, and
>> if there's one thig that I'm well and truly fed up with, it's
>> politics.
>>

> A good troll should be subtle. The OP is clearly a beginner.

Quite right, gentlemen.

But we'll be nice to the OP this time 'round, so he thinks that it's
worth his while to hone his trollcraft a bit more . . . and when he
regurgutates his next, refined work of art, we'll fire up our machines
and . . .

.. . . ignore him <LOL>.

/Robert, living in and enjoying Sweden (a subsidiary of Eurotardia)
p.s. As far as Lance's reception this side of the pond is concerned,
many of us over here are impressed by him being one of the few Americans
who have taken the trouble to learn enough of a European language, to
give credible and informative interviews to French and Belgian media.
More U.S. athletes should follow his example.

sanjian wrote:
> Doofer wrote:

>>>I suggest you don't draw conclusions the facts don't warrent.

>>I seem to be the only person actually posting facts. Perhaps you'd
>>care to join this exclusive club.

> My arguments are that your facts don't support your conclusion. Here, then,
> are my facts:
>
> - 2+2=4

got a proof for that?

> - A body accelerates towards the earth at approximately 9.8 m/sec^2 when
> near the earth.

not always true

> - A circle is the set of all points in a plane, that are a given distance
> from a specific point.

not always true

> All are true, and all are just as relevent as your fact.

<cough>

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 22:35:17 -0500, in alt.tv.sopranos, Tim McNamara
rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again. It does
this whenever it's told -

> The Magnificent ******* <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 09:42:33 +0100, in alt.tv.sopranos, A.Lee rubs
> > the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again. It does
> > this whenever it's told -

> >> Err, the US isnt dominating anything, Armstrong is.

> > Err, Armstrong rides for the US POSTAL TEAM.

> Yes. And half or more of his teammates aren't American- without whome
> Armstrong coul dnot have won the Tour. It's not an American team,
> dude.

> >> Wrong.The list has been shown in another post.

> > The list was incorrect. But even if it was correct, 2 of the top 3
> > riders of the past 15 - 20 years are American.

> The list is correct. And easily verified. Your "two of the top three
> riders" comment merely shows your ignorance about the sport.

Are you arguing that Armstrong and LeMond are not two of the top three
Tour Le France riders of the past 15 - 20 years?

Indurain would be the 3rd, he's pretty much on par with LeMond.

> Indurain was never "convicted" of using performance enhancing drugs.
> He did test positive for an inhaler (salbutamol) for asthma once,
> which is a banned substance if not being used for treating a medical
> condition.
>
> >> Wrong.Pantani and Riis were both alleged to have taken drugs, but
> >> neither was proven.

> Just as Armstrong has been alleged to have taken performance enhancing
> drugs, and also Lemond.
>
> > No a couple of them were actually caught. Didn't Pantani commit
> > suicide over it?

> Pantani OD'd on cocaine, IIRC, following several years of psychiatric
> problems.
>
> >> Just like the USA's Marion Jones is being accused now in athletics,
> >> as well as a multitude of other track athletes, the majority of
> >> whom are from the USA.

> > Those accusations are racist and baseless.

> Because it's an American being accused? Are you stupid enough to
> think that Americans don't dope? Or perhaps you think
> African-Americans don't dope.
>
> The U.S. is the single largest market for legal and illegal drugs in
> the world. It's part of our culture. Why did Jones's husband miss
> the last Summer Olympics?

What does her husband have to do with whether or not she used illegal
substances? Do you think everyone who has a spouse that uses drugs, is
therefore a drug user?

What kind of logic is that?

> > Any cyclist who wins any spring or autumn classic would *gladly*
> > give up that title to win the Tour Le France. You don't seem to
> > know much about cycling.

> The Tour de France is actually the one cyclists dream of winning. And
> would "any" of those riders give up a Classic to win the Tour? many
> would, since the Tour is indeed the most disproportionately important
> race in pro cycling. Personally, I prefer the Classics to the Tour
> but that's just a matter of taste. The Tour is garish and tacky,
> which is probably why Americans like it. France and the U.S. have a
> lot in common (ooh, I've just insulted both of them).

So you do agree that any cyclist would give up a classic title in
exchange for a Tour title....and no one cares if you think it's
"garish" or "tacky". It's one of the oldest, most respected and most
famous sporting events in the world.

--
Magnificent ******* Productions 2004 ©

http://www.magnificentbastardproductions.com

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 22:36:43 -0500, in alt.tv.sopranos, Tim McNamara
rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again. It does
this whenever it's told -

> The Magnificent ******* <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 22:20:11 GMT, in alt.tv.sopranos, H. Morgan rubs
> > the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again. It does
> > this whenever it's told -

> >> Which, next year, wont be called US anything, as they will have a
> >> new sponsor.

> > But he'll still be from the United States.

> Along with less than half of his team. Or his coach.

How do you know that less than half of his team will be from the US?

--
Magnificent ******* Productions 2004 ©

http://www.magnificentbastardproductions.com

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 22:39:32 -0500, in alt.tv.sopranos, Tim McNamara
rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again. It does
this whenever it's told -

> Doofer <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > The charge was levelled that the US has better sportsmen simply
> > because the greatest cyclist the World has ever known in from the
> > US.

> ROTFL! The greatest cyclist the world has ever known was from
> Belgium.

Eddie Merckx is not the greatest cyclist of all time.

--
Magnificent ******* Productions 2004 ©

http://www.magnificentbastardproductions.com

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 22:42:22 -0500, in alt.tv.sopranos, Tim McNamara
rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again. It does
this whenever it's told -

> >> www.tourlefrance.com
> >>
> >> I rest my case.

> You are a case, you don't have a case. Although rest might be good
> for you.
>
> > U been *****-slapped

> Nah. He hasn't even gotten close yet. That's what happens when
> you're swinging with your eyes shut like the pansy girly-man he is.
> The self-proclaimed MB is basically unarmed when it comes to a battle
> of wits.

Pansy girly-man? Yesterday you called me twinkletoes.

Tim, I think you're a blatant homophobe. Why else would you call names
like that?

--

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 17:07:49 -0500, The Magnificent *******
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 22:42:22 -0500, in alt.tv.sopranos, Tim McNamara
>rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again. It does
>this whenever it's told -

>> You are a case, you don't have a case. Although rest might be good
>> for you.
>>
>> > U been *****-slapped

>> Nah. He hasn't even gotten close yet. That's what happens when
>> you're swinging with your eyes shut like the pansy girly-man he is.
>> The self-proclaimed MB is basically unarmed when it comes to a battle
>> of wits.

>Pansy girly-man? Yesterday you called me twinkletoes.
>
>Tim, I think you're a blatant homophobe. Why else would you call names
>like that?

I think you're just a sissy bedwetter.

Poor ******* must not get out much.

> Since when is Michael Schumacher American?

He hasn't paid attention to anything outside of NASCAR apparently.

"The Magnificent *******" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 22:42:22 -0500, in alt.tv.sopranos, Tim McNamara
> rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again. It does
> this whenever it's told -

> > You are a case, you don't have a case. Although rest might be good
> > for you.
> >
> > > U been *****-slapped

> > Nah. He hasn't even gotten close yet. That's what happens when
> > you're swinging with your eyes shut like the pansy girly-man he is.
> > The self-proclaimed MB is basically unarmed when it comes to a battle
> > of wits.

> Pansy girly-man? Yesterday you called me twinkletoes.
>
> Tim, I think you're a blatant homophobe. Why else would you call names
> like that?

He's expressing himself - why in the world would you deny him that right?

Woodrow

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 17:27:21 -0500, in alt.tv.sopranos, Tim McNamara
rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again. It does
this whenever it's told -

> H. Morgan <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 22:29:31 -0500, The Magnificent *******
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>
> >>But Americans are the best at golf and autoracing.
> >>
> >>So what's your point?

> Poor ******* must not get out much.
>
> > Since when is Michael Schumacher American?

> He hasn't paid attention to anything outside of NASCAR apparently.

AJ Foyt in his prime could beat any Neckcar or F1 driver.

--
Magnificent ******* Productions 2004 ©

http://www.magnificentbastardproductions.com

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 22:21:28 GMT, in alt.tv.sopranos, H. Morgan rubs the
lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again. It does this
whenever it's told -

> On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 17:07:49 -0500, The Magnificent *******
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 22:42:22 -0500, in alt.tv.sopranos, Tim McNamara
> >rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again. It does
> >this whenever it's told -

> >> You are a case, you don't have a case. Although rest might be good
> >> for you.

> >> Nah. He hasn't even gotten close yet. That's what happens when
> >> you're swinging with your eyes shut like the pansy girly-man he is.
> >> The self-proclaimed MB is basically unarmed when it comes to a battle
> >> of wits.

> >Pansy girly-man? Yesterday you called me twinkletoes.
> >
> >Tim, I think you're a blatant homophobe. Why else would you call names
> >like that?

> I think you're just a sissy bedwetter.

I see that you're a homophobe too.

--
Magnificent ******* Productions 2004 ©

http://www.magnificentbastardproductions.com

Doofer <[email protected]> writes:

> On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 22:39:32 -0500, Tim McNamara
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Doofer <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>>> The charge was levelled that the US has better sportsmen simply
>>> because the greatest cyclist the World has ever known in from the
>>> US.

>>ROTFL! The greatest cyclist the world has ever known was from
>>Belgium.

> I'd be happy to argue that the Great Belgium's place on the podium
> has been relegated to second place following Armstrong's win
> yesterday.
>
> However, it is a value argument, so we can both be right.

It's not a value argument to the extent that Merckx's palmares dwarf
those of almost any other rider in the history of the sport for both
quality of wins and quantity. Hinault is probably the closest rider
to Merckx, followed perhaps by Coppi. I would put Kelly ahead of
Armstrong as well, since he won a much greater variety of races even
though he never placed better than 4th in the Tour de France.

Don't get me wrong, I think Armstrong is a great rider even if his
personality is a bit annoying. But his palmares are a bit limited
when you look beyond the Tour de France. He's won some minor stange
races in preparation for the Tour, and won the World Championship road
race quite brilliantly in 1993- a truly impressive feat in epic
conditions ("epic" meaning "the weather really sucked" in this
context). He won Fleche Wallone and of course he contended for
Liege-Bastogne-Liege and Amstel Gold several times each.

Merckx, on the other hand, won every major classic except one. He won
the World Road Championships 3 times, Milan-San Remo 7 times, Tour of
Flanders twice, Paris-Roubaix 3 times, Tour of Lombardy twice. He won
the Tour de France 4 times in a row, once winning all the jerseys not
just the Yellow Jersey, skipped a year and won it the next. He won
the Giro d'Italia 5 times and the Tour of Spain once. And that's just
scratching the surface. Between 1969 and 1973, he won an amazing 38%
of the races he entered! He raced up to 150 days a year (Armstrong
probably races less than 60), way more than just about any modern pro
since Sean Kelly.

However, the comparison is a little unfair. Bike racing has changed-
with much bigger salaries (thanks in large part to Lemond). The
division between Classics riders and Tour riders is much greater than
it was, and Tour contenders do not ride the Spring or Fall Classics
with any intent to win. The nature of the sport has changed, and
trying to compare Merckx and Armstrong is like trying to compare
modern-day Major Leaguers with the men who played in the "dead ball"
era. The conditions are different and that makes true comparison
difficult.

If we limit the discussion to just the Tour de France, then yes,
Armstrong is the best. You can't argue with results. Merckx took
more stage wins and spent more time in the Yellow Jersey than Lance,
but he didn't win 6 overall. Armstrong strikes me as a combination
of Merckx and Antequil. He has the former's panache and unswerving
team loyalty, and the latter's meticulous preparation and strategy.

The Magnificent ******* <[email protected]> writes:

> On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 22:39:32 -0500, in alt.tv.sopranos, Tim McNamara
> rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again. It
> does this whenever it's told -
>

>> Doofer <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>> > The charge was levelled that the US has better sportsmen simply
>> > because the greatest cyclist the World has ever known in from the
>> > US.

>> ROTFL! The greatest cyclist the world has ever known was from
>> Belgium.

> Eddie Merckx is not the greatest cyclist of all time.

Thanks for demonstrating beyond the shadow of a doubt that you don't
know what you're talking about. It simplifies things for the future.

The Magnificent ******* <[email protected]> writes:

> On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 22:42:22 -0500, in alt.tv.sopranos, Tim McNamara
> rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again. It
> does this whenever it's told -

>> You are a case, you don't have a case. Although rest might be good
>> for you.
>>
>> > U been *****-slapped

>> Nah. He hasn't even gotten close yet. That's what happens when
>> you're swinging with your eyes shut like the pansy girly-man he is.
>> The self-proclaimed MB is basically unarmed when it comes to a
>> battle of wits.

> Pansy girly-man? Yesterday you called me twinkletoes.
>
> Tim, I think you're a blatant homophobe. Why else would you call
> names like that?

Nice try, but no joy for you. I don't care if you're gay or not.