What do I need BESIDES a bike?

cormac!

Jan 19, 2008
Hi,

I've always enjoyed the odd cycle (on a cheap mountain bike), and recently decided to fork out and get a road bike and take it up as a hobby/sport. I am spending 1000e on a good road bike (Lapierre with Richie/Shimano components) - what I'd like to know is:

What equipment besides a good road bike do you guys find are "must haves" or even just very useful?

What I can think of is SPD or Look pedals and pair of Look/SPD runners. Water bottle and holder, pump, and some sort of puncture repair kit.

What else? What "tools" are handy? How do you carry your extra equipment with you? What sort of clothing do you think one needs?

Any other ideas? Any quality brand names or anything I should for?

Note: I am not planning on riding competitevely, so I'm not too worried about weight yet.

cormac! said:
Hi,

What equipment besides a good road bike do you guys find are "must haves" or even just very useful?

What I can think of is SPD or Look pedals and pair of Look/SPD runners. Water bottle and holder, pump, and some sort of puncture repair kit.
What else? What "tools" are handy? How do you carry your extra equipment with you? What sort of clothing do you think one needs?
Note: I am not planning on riding competitevely, so I'm not too worried about weight yet.

Cleats, shoes: your preference
A must: Riding shorts, riding glasses
cycling gloves, helmet
Tools: i carry a multi-tool and CO2 cartridges, patch kit, tire levers and a cell phone in a small saddle bag.

cormac! said:
Hi,

I've always enjoyed the odd cycle (on a cheap mountain bike), and recently decided to fork out and get a road bike and take it up as a hobby/sport. I am spending 1000e on a good road bike (Lapierre with Richie/Shimano components) - what I'd like to know is:

Good bike shorts, cycling shoes(fit like any other shoe), clipless pedals(SPD are fine and dandy), pump, tube, patch kit, tire levers(all but the pump into a behind the seat bag), bottle cages, water bottles and.......if I want to inflame the helmet war wagers, a helmet(may help, will never hurt).

My list of "must haves" are as follows. I tend to stay away from the pedal issues as I prefer toe straps and clips to clipless.

Definitely a helmet and gloves. You can wait on the other apparel for awhile unless you start to get a lot of chafing on you backside and inner thighs. If this occurs, then get the other apparel as well.

A spare tube, tire levers, and a pump or CO2 Inflator are all the tools that you will need to start, as well as the knowledge of how to use them.

Some sort of hydration system, i.e. a Camelback or water bottles and bottle cages.

Some things like a computer make riding more interesting but will not stop you from riding if you don't have it.

As you ride and get more into the sport, you will come up with your own list of "must haves". As for quality items, let your LBS be your guide until you gain enough experience to make your own decisions. Just beware of the LBS's that try to upsell you on every choice that you make. There are a small number of shops that try to make as much money off of a single visit that a customer makes rather than building trust, repeat business, and customer loyalty.

Everything kdelong listed, plus cash and a cell phone. I carry mine in a ziplock bag. I'll probably start a flame war if I suggest a compact .45. ;)

a cowbell!
Cowbell,%20Needs%20More.gif
:D

fleshbroiler said:
Everything kdelong listed, plus cash and a cell phone. I carry mine in a ziplock bag. I'll probably start a flame war if I suggest a compact .45. ;)
Cash and a cell phone , and ID in a ziplock bag are good ideas. I also prefer the 9mm Uzi with a couple of extra clips. They fit perfectly in the rear pockets of my jerseys:D .

stevecycles said:
A kickstand? I haven't had a kickstand on a bike since I was 11.
Yeah, I know you can lean your bike on something. But it's much easier to just lower a kickstand. It's how I store my bike in the garage.

Hi fellas. I've been away for a while but it's good to see you all still alive and kick'n. kdelong has got all bases covered with this one. A little handlebar basket with plastic flower are about the only thing missing. I don't know if you are into the bike mechanic or not but when I built up my bike I got myself the ParkTools Big Blue Book of Bike Mechanics. I personally found it invaluable and not only saved me heaps by doing it myself but also gave me a bit of satisfaction. Maybe not for everyone but for me it was a bit of a buzz.

a jersey would be my first 'splurge' item... half zip, 3 rear pockets, keeps you cool and keeps your stuff within reach at all times.

all's'miles

curby

A HELMET MIRROR. You want to be safe don't you?:) Then you need to be able to see that big truck or whatever bearing down on you and to be able to get out of its way before.....:eek: