What do I need to do to fully used up all 10 gears?

jackchoo

Mar 6, 2006
Hi,

I've been having problems lately with my 10sp rear. When I engage the front derailer for the smaller wheel and the read to the smallest gear on the cassette, i get 2 problems:

1) the chains seems to be intermittently hitting the front derailer.

2) I feel like the rear gear is 'skipping a chain link' once in a while.

Anything I can do to adjust this? :confused:

I'm using 10spd Ultegra Groupo (STI Flightdeck). Thanks!

jackchoo said:
Hi,

I've been having problems lately with my 10sp rear. When I engage the front derailer for the smaller wheel and the read to the smallest gear on the cassette, i get 2 problems:

Using the large-large and especially the small-small gear combinations are almost always a no-no.

The chain-line on most frames results in extreme angles that result in poor performance and excessive wear on the chain and drivetrain components. This isn't exclusive to 10-speed drivetrains or any particular components.

jackchoo said:
Hi,

Just like Supergrill said, you shouldn't use this gear combination. Most people also wouldn't use the gear one higher of small chain ring second smallest cog. They're called "cross over gears" which means you can find the same gear ratio by having the large chain ring and a larger cog which aligns much nicer.

Postie and Super are right. On the 10 speed I stay away for these two combinations.

39 big ring and 12,13,14 in the back.

52 big ring and 21,23,25.

These no, no's are called cross chaining, they wear you're crank rings and cassette prematurley, not to mention the chain too.

If you feel the need to ride 39 and 12-14 you shoud go to 52 and say 16-17 or there abouts, but you will find an almost comparable gearing that you're looking for.

By the skipping sound, it sounds like you've been riding these combinations and you've already done some damage to your cassette, chain and possibly big rings. You should have a shop check these out. good luck!

jackchoo said:
Hi,

You don't have 20 distinct gears. There is a fair amount of overlap between 53 combos and 39 combos.

Sounds like he has compact cranks, they have less overlapping gears and tend to use more of the rear cassette for any given chainring.

jackchoo said:
Hi,

As a matter of easy reference and in the terminology you used...

... use small wheel from middle gear up to the biggest gear in cassette
... use big wheel from middle gear up to the smallest gear in cassette

See attached