What do i need to install Look KEO Pedals?

jwroubaix

Jun 6, 2007
I'm going to be installing Look KEO Sprint pedals tomorrow on my Specialized Roubaix. What tools will need? I don't have anything but an allen wrench. What else will I need? Do I need to grease the pedals before I install them. Is some special type of grease. Thanks

Yeah, that's all you need is an allen wrench (can't remember if it's an 8 or a 10 mm). I usually put grease on the threads, something like Phil's waterproof, or Dura-Ace grease. And contrary to popular myth, they don't need to be uber-tight - I tighten them to approximately .5 "grunt"s :D

Most (but, not all) pedals can be installed with a 6mm Allen Wrench.

I'm 98% sure they use an 8mm hex tool. The only reason I can see for doing this is that taking out more cro-mo from the spindle means they can brag about them being lighter. Silly.

always grease pedal threads, coz they are one of the most common parts to seize if corrosion gets in there

What sort of grease should I use? All I have is what I lube my chain with. I think it's called pro gold? Is this okay.

jwroubaix said:
What sort of grease should I use? All I have is what I lube my chain with. I think it's called pro gold? Is this okay.
Better off with any cheap lithium based grease that you get from the hardware/auto store.

Prolink is great for chains, not so great for greasing stuff.

n

nerdag said:
Better off with any cheap lithium based grease that you get from the hardware/auto store.

Prolink is great for chains, not so great for greasing stuff.

n
What he said....

And yes, an 8mm hex wrench is what you want.

jwroubaix said:
I'm going to be installing Look KEO Sprint pedals tomorrow on my Specialized Roubaix. What tools will need? I don't have anything but an allen wrench. What else will I need? Do I need to grease the pedals before I install them. Is some special type of grease. Thanks
Wow, I just had some sort of freaky "deja vu all over again" moment because I installed Look Keo Sprints on my Specialized Roubaix about a month ago. I screwed the pedal on with my finger (I sort of wedged my finger in there) because it required a huge hex which I did not have.

jojoma said:
Wow, I just had some sort of freaky "deja vu all over again" moment because I installed Look Keo Sprints on my Specialized Roubaix about a month ago. I screwed the pedal on with my finger (I sort of wedged my finger in there) because it required a huge hex which I did not have.

You need these.