What do I need to start road biking?

afk94

May 13, 2013
So I just bought my first road bike, a trek 1.2. Now I'm trying to figure out what else I need besides the bike. A helmet is a given as well as a water bottle cage. I've heard from some friends that I should buy a kit to keep with me in case I get a flat tire. Anyone know where I could get one of those?

cycling shoes, depending on your pedals, i didn't got into lycra (apparel material like in cycling shorts) and cycling jerseys straight away, but once you start using the correct apparel there is no way back because they are so more useful and confortable than normal all-purposes sport clothing, and your friends are right, flats do happen, so try to follow a tutorial on how to change your inner tubes and/or apply a patch, i would also add a rain jacket of light material that you can fold easily and carry with you when the weather looks bad, and full fingers gloves for bad weather also,

I wouldn't ride much farther than around the block without what I needed to deal with a flat. A set of tire levers (about $5 USD for 3 Park levers), a spare tube, patch kit for the rare double flat if you only carry one spare tube, and either a mini-pump, or CO2 inflators. I carry both a pump and CO2 because it's important to partially inflate a new tube, to install it properly inside the tire. If your tubes have Presta valves, you can also blow into the tube to give it some shape.

It's important to practice changing a tube at home, before the need to do it on the road arises--which it will. See if your LBS has an old trashed rim and worn tire lying around the shop that they're going to throw out, for practice. But, it's also important to learn how to remove and replace a wheel, especially when closing the QR levers.

Unless you live south of the Equator, you won't need full fingered gloves for a few months, yet. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

"Anyone know where I could get one of those?"

A local bike shop or any of the internet/mail order houses such as Nasbar or Performance.

Shoes, cleats, shorts, gloves and a jersey. Build up a collection of cycling clothing as you progress.

Bottles and cages. A pair, most likely.

You will also need, or want, cycling friends. You will learn cycling's lessons much faster and at a lower cost to your wallet and your body if you ride with and listen to more experienced riders in your area. And group riding is more fun for most people and IMO much safer than solo riding.

Cell phone and Mr. Ben Franklin. They'll get you out of tight spot or at least get you a beer.

Have fun and enjoy the ride.