What do mountain bikers care about while on the trail?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Bruce W.1, Mar 13, 2003.

  1. Bruce W.1

    Bruce W.1 Guest

    What do mountain bikers riders care about? The reason I ask is I'm trying to develop a list of GPS
    waypoint types unique to mountain biking.

    By backcountry I mean wilderness mountain bike riding in the woods. Maybe but not necesarily for a
    few days on the trail, camping in tents, etc..

    Many activities happen in the backcountry like backpacking, 4-wheel drive, mountain biking, etc..
    Some interests are common to all. I've listed my understanding of these common location elements at
    the bottom of this message.

    What I'm wondering is what locations are of unique interest to backcountry mountain bike riders. I
    don't know much about mountain biking so I submit myself to your mercy.

    I can venture a few guesses like dangerous hills and quicksand, but these are only guesses.

    Thanks for your help.

    Common backcountry interests
    ----------------------------
    1. Trailhead
    2. Trails intersection
    3. Trail random point
    4. Trail crosses road
    5. Trail wet crossing
    6. Water source
    7. Water spring
    8. Campsite
    9. Campground
    10. Shelter or leanto
    11. Hut or cabin
    12. Mountain summit
    13. Scenic point
    14. Dam
    15. Bridge
    16. Mine
    17. Gate
    18. Tower
    19. Danger area
    20. Park office
    21. Parking area
    22. Shower
    23. Telephone
    24. Food supply
    25. Stove fuel supply
    26. Outfitter store
    27. Building
    28. Lodging
    29. Road intersection

    Tags:

  2. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    "Bruce W.1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... <snip>

    > Common backcountry interests
    > ----------------------------
    > 1. Trailhead
    > 2. Trails intersection
    > 3. Trail random point
    > 4. Trail crosses road
    > 5. Trail wet crossing
    > 6. Water source
    > 7. Water spring
    > 8. Campsite
    > 9. Campground
    > 10. Shelter or leanto
    > 11. Hut or cabin
    > 12. Mountain summit
    > 13. Scenic point
    > 14. Dam
    > 15. Bridge
    > 16. Mine
    > 17. Gate
    > 18. Tower
    > 19. Danger area
    > 20. Park office
    > 21. Parking area
    > 22. Shower
    > 23. Telephone
    > 24. Food supply
    > 25. Stove fuel supply
    > 26. Outfitter store
    > 27. Building
    > 28. Lodging
    > 29. Road intersection

    Bar

  3. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > > 28. Lodging
    > > 29. Road intersection
    >
    > Bar

    "Kitty Cat Krossing"

  4. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    >>> 28. Lodging

    From: "Bruce W.1" <[email protected]>
    . I don't know much about mountain biking so I submit myself to your mercy.

    Remember that you asked for it!

    penny s

  5. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    "Bruce W.1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > What do mountain bikers riders care about? The reason I ask is I'm trying to develop a list of GPS
    > waypoint types unique to mountain biking.
    >
    > By backcountry I mean wilderness mountain bike riding in the woods. Maybe but not necesarily for a
    > few days on the trail, camping in tents, etc..
    >
    > Many activities happen in the backcountry like backpacking, 4-wheel drive, mountain biking, etc..
    > Some interests are common to all. I've listed my understanding of these common location elements
    > at the bottom of this message.
    >
    > What I'm wondering is what locations are of unique interest to backcountry mountain bike riders. I
    > don't know much about mountain biking so I submit myself to your mercy.
    >
    > I can venture a few guesses like dangerous hills and quicksand, but these are only guesses.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >

    > Common backcountry interests
    > ----------------------------
    > 1. Trailhead
    > 2. Trails intersection
    > 3. Trail random point
    > 4. Trail crosses road
    > 5. Trail wet crossing
    > 6. Water source
    > 7. Water spring
    > 8. Campsite
    > 9. Campground
    > 10. Shelter or leanto
    > 11. Hut or cabin
    > 12. Mountain summit
    > 13. Scenic point
    > 14. Dam
    > 15. Bridge
    > 16. Mine
    > 17. Gate
    > 18. Tower
    > 19. Danger area
    > 20. Park office
    > 21. Parking area
    > 22. Shower
    > 23. Telephone
    > 24. Food supply
    > 25. Stove fuel supply
    > 26. Outfitter store
    > 27. Building
    > 28. Lodging
    > 29. Road intersection

    /s

  6. El Barista

    El Barista Guest

    "supabonbon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > What do mountain bikers riders care about? The reason I ask is I'm trying to develop a list of
    > > GPS waypoint types unique to mountain biking.

    Sweet! I've been looking for the killer, must-have reason to finally push me to purchase the eTrex
    Legend. Now I've gotta get one!

    -will

  7. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 06:59:29 GMT, Bruce W.1 wrote:

    > What I'm wondering is what locations are of unique interest to backcountry mountain bike riders.

    How "mine" made the list but "beer" did not is beyond me.

    > I don't know much about mountain biking so I submit myself to your mercy.

    <evil laugh>He has NO idea what he's getting himself into!

    Frankly Bruce, there is very little of what I (personally) would call "backcountry mountain biking".
    Most rides are in-and-out in a few hours; forget a few days. So the bigger issues are just finding
    if (and where) the trail is out, and making trail crossings very clear so no one gets lost. After
    that, maybe campground and Mexican food. And beer, of course.

  8. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Bruce W.1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > What do mountain bikers riders care about? The reason I ask is I'm trying to develop a list of GPS
    > waypoint types unique to mountain biking.
    >
    > By backcountry I mean wilderness mountain bike riding in the woods. Maybe but not necesarily for a
    > few days on the trail, camping in tents, etc..
    >
    > Many activities happen in the backcountry like backpacking, 4-wheel drive, mountain biking, etc..
    > Some interests are common to all. I've listed my understanding of these common location elements
    > at the bottom of this message.
    >
    > What I'm wondering is what locations are of unique interest to backcountry mountain bike riders. I
    > don't know much about mountain biking so I submit myself to your mercy.
    >
    > I can venture a few guesses like dangerous hills and quicksand, but these are only guesses.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >

    > Common backcountry interests
    > ----------------------------
    > 1. Trailhead
    > 2. Trails intersection
    > 3. Trail random point
    > 4. Trail crosses road
    > 5. Trail wet crossing
    > 6. Water source
    > 7. Water spring
    > 8. Campsite
    > 9. Campground
    > 10. Shelter or leanto
    > 11. Hut or cabin
    > 12. Mountain summit
    > 13. Scenic point
    > 14. Dam
    > 15. Bridge
    > 16. Mine
    > 17. Gate
    > 18. Tower
    > 19. Danger area
    > 20. Park office
    > 21. Parking area
    > 22. Shower
    > 23. Telephone
    > 24. Food supply
    > 25. Stove fuel supply
    > 26. Outfitter store
    > 27. Building
    > 28. Lodging
    > 29. Road intersection

    How much money do we get as a consulting fee?

    JD

  9. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    BB wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 06:59:29 GMT, Bruce W.1 wrote:
    >
    >> What I'm wondering is what locations are of unique interest to backcountry mountain bike riders.
    >
    > How "mine" made the list but "beer" did not is beyond me.
    >
    >> I don't know much about mountain biking so I submit myself to your mercy.
    >
    > <evil laugh>He has NO idea what he's getting himself into!
    >
    > Frankly Bruce, there is very little of what I (personally) would call "backcountry mountain
    > biking". Most rides are in-and-out in a few hours; forget a few days. So the bigger issues are
    > just finding if (and where) the trail is out, and making trail crossings very clear so no one gets
    > lost. After that, maybe campground and Mexican food. And beer, of course.

    he's a regular at rec.backcountry so he's got *that* perspective on things.

    penny

  10. Taywood

    Taywood Guest

    Bruce W.1 wrote:
    > What do mountain bikers riders care about?

    Very steep up. Design a symbol for track type - up, contour, zig zag etc. Very steep down. Your
    track symbol should cover - 1000ft table dropoff, Mammoth DH course, singletrack ridge ride or a
    packhorse trail through centuries old Caledonian pines.

  11. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 16:52:37 -0000, Taywood wrote:

    > Very steep up. Design a symbol for track type - up, contour, zig zag etc. Very steep down. Your
    > track symbol should cover - 1000ft table dropoff, Mammoth DH course, singletrack ridge ride or a
    > packhorse trail through centuries old Caledonian pines.

    I also have a great interest/concern in spots which could cause me to fall to my death.

  12. Bruce W.1

    Bruce W.1 Guest

    "Penny S." wrote:

    > he's a regular at rec.backcountry so he's got *that* perspective on things.
    >
    > penny

    Hi Penny. Is alt.mountain-bike one of your usual haunts?

  13. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Bruce W.1 wrote:
    > "Penny S." wrote:
    >>
    >> he's a regular at rec.backcountry so he's got *that* perspective on things.
    >>
    >> penny
    >
    > Hi Penny. Is alt.mountain-bike one of your usual haunts?

    first assignment for amb is to do your own homework.

    penny

  14. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "Taywood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Bruce W.1 wrote:
    > > What do mountain bikers riders care about?
    >
    > Very steep up. Design a symbol for track type - up, contour, zig zag etc. Very steep down. Your
    > track symbol should cover - 1000ft table dropoff, Mammoth DH course, singletrack ridge ride or a
    > packhorse trail through centuries old Caledonian pines.

    This is a good point. I know that if you read your topo map properly you can figure it out for
    yourself - most of the time. But some sort of designator for gradient might be good. Something for
    type of trail might be good too. But really I don't think that there's much that's needed
    specifically for mountain bikers. Sources of fresh potable water? I dunno. I'm lucky enough to live
    in country where 99 times out of 100 you can safely drink from any stream. A symbol for trails that
    you are allowed to ride? Beats me.

    Westie