What do mountain bikers care about while on the trail?

Status

Bruce W.1

Guest
What do mountain bikers riders care about? The reason I ask is I'm trying to develop a list of GPS
waypoint types unique to mountain biking.

By backcountry I mean wilderness mountain bike riding in the woods. Maybe but not necesarily for a
few days on the trail, camping in tents, etc..

Many activities happen in the backcountry like backpacking, 4-wheel drive, mountain biking, etc..
Some interests are common to all. I've listed my understanding of these common location elements at
the bottom of this message.

What I'm wondering is what locations are of unique interest to backcountry mountain bike riders. I
don't know much about mountain biking so I submit myself to your mercy.

I can venture a few guesses like dangerous hills and quicksand, but these are only guesses.

Thanks for your help.

Common backcountry interests
----------------------------
1. Trailhead
2. Trails intersection
3. Trail random point
4. Trail crosses road
5. Trail wet crossing
6. Water source
7. Water spring
8. Campsite
9. Campground
10. Shelter or leanto
11. Hut or cabin
12. Mountain summit
13. Scenic point
14. Dam
15. Bridge
16. Mine
17. Gate
18. Tower
19. Danger area
20. Park office
21. Parking area
22. Shower
23. Telephone
24. Food supply
25. Stove fuel supply
26. Outfitter store
27. Building
28. Lodging
29. Road intersection

Cinder Girl

Guest
"Bruce W.1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... <snip>

> Common backcountry interests
> ----------------------------
> 1. Trailhead
> 2. Trails intersection
> 3. Trail random point
> 4. Trail crosses road
> 5. Trail wet crossing
> 6. Water source
> 7. Water spring
> 8. Campsite
> 9. Campground
> 10. Shelter or leanto
> 11. Hut or cabin
> 12. Mountain summit
> 13. Scenic point
> 14. Dam
> 15. Bridge
> 16. Mine
> 17. Gate
> 18. Tower
> 19. Danger area
> 20. Park office
> 21. Parking area
> 22. Shower
> 23. Telephone
> 24. Food supply
> 25. Stove fuel supply
> 26. Outfitter store
> 27. Building
> 28. Lodging
> 29. Road intersection

Bar

John Harlow

Guest
> > 28. Lodging
> > 29. Road intersection
>
> Bar

"Kitty Cat Krossing"

Penny S.

Guest
>>> 28. Lodging

From: "Bruce W.1" <[email protected]>
. I don't know much about mountain biking so I submit myself to your mercy.

Remember that you asked for it!

penny s

Supabonbon

Guest
"Bruce W.1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> What do mountain bikers riders care about? The reason I ask is I'm trying to develop a list of GPS
> waypoint types unique to mountain biking.
>
> By backcountry I mean wilderness mountain bike riding in the woods. Maybe but not necesarily for a
> few days on the trail, camping in tents, etc..
>
> Many activities happen in the backcountry like backpacking, 4-wheel drive, mountain biking, etc..
> Some interests are common to all. I've listed my understanding of these common location elements
> at the bottom of this message.
>
> What I'm wondering is what locations are of unique interest to backcountry mountain bike riders. I
> don't know much about mountain biking so I submit myself to your mercy.
>
> I can venture a few guesses like dangerous hills and quicksand, but these are only guesses.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>

> Common backcountry interests
> ----------------------------
> 1. Trailhead
> 2. Trails intersection
> 3. Trail random point
> 4. Trail crosses road
> 5. Trail wet crossing
> 6. Water source
> 7. Water spring
> 8. Campsite
> 9. Campground
> 10. Shelter or leanto
> 11. Hut or cabin
> 12. Mountain summit
> 13. Scenic point
> 14. Dam
> 15. Bridge
> 16. Mine
> 17. Gate
> 18. Tower
> 19. Danger area
> 20. Park office
> 21. Parking area
> 22. Shower
> 23. Telephone
> 24. Food supply
> 25. Stove fuel supply
> 26. Outfitter store
> 27. Building
> 28. Lodging
> 29. Road intersection

/s

El Barista

Guest
"supabonbon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > What do mountain bikers riders care about? The reason I ask is I'm trying to develop a list of
> > GPS waypoint types unique to mountain biking.

Sweet! I've been looking for the killer, must-have reason to finally push me to purchase the eTrex
Legend. Now I've gotta get one!

-will

Bb

Guest
On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 06:59:29 GMT, Bruce W.1 wrote:

> What I'm wondering is what locations are of unique interest to backcountry mountain bike riders.

How "mine" made the list but "beer" did not is beyond me.

> I don't know much about mountain biking so I submit myself to your mercy.

<evil laugh>He has NO idea what he's getting himself into!

Frankly Bruce, there is very little of what I (personally) would call "backcountry mountain biking".
Most rides are in-and-out in a few hours; forget a few days. So the bigger issues are just finding
if (and where) the trail is out, and making trail crossings very clear so no one gets lost. After
that, maybe campground and Mexican food. And beer, of course.

Jd

Guest
"Bruce W.1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> What do mountain bikers riders care about? The reason I ask is I'm trying to develop a list of GPS
> waypoint types unique to mountain biking.
>
> By backcountry I mean wilderness mountain bike riding in the woods. Maybe but not necesarily for a
> few days on the trail, camping in tents, etc..
>
> Many activities happen in the backcountry like backpacking, 4-wheel drive, mountain biking, etc..
> Some interests are common to all. I've listed my understanding of these common location elements
> at the bottom of this message.
>
> What I'm wondering is what locations are of unique interest to backcountry mountain bike riders. I
> don't know much about mountain biking so I submit myself to your mercy.
>
> I can venture a few guesses like dangerous hills and quicksand, but these are only guesses.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>

> Common backcountry interests
> ----------------------------
> 1. Trailhead
> 2. Trails intersection
> 3. Trail random point
> 4. Trail crosses road
> 5. Trail wet crossing
> 6. Water source
> 7. Water spring
> 8. Campsite
> 9. Campground
> 10. Shelter or leanto
> 11. Hut or cabin
> 12. Mountain summit
> 13. Scenic point
> 14. Dam
> 15. Bridge
> 16. Mine
> 17. Gate
> 18. Tower
> 19. Danger area
> 20. Park office
> 21. Parking area
> 22. Shower
> 23. Telephone
> 24. Food supply
> 25. Stove fuel supply
> 26. Outfitter store
> 27. Building
> 28. Lodging
> 29. Road intersection

How much money do we get as a consulting fee?

JD

Penny S.

Guest
BB wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 06:59:29 GMT, Bruce W.1 wrote:
>
>> What I'm wondering is what locations are of unique interest to backcountry mountain bike riders.
>
> How "mine" made the list but "beer" did not is beyond me.
>
>> I don't know much about mountain biking so I submit myself to your mercy.
>
> <evil laugh>He has NO idea what he's getting himself into!
>
> Frankly Bruce, there is very little of what I (personally) would call "backcountry mountain
> biking". Most rides are in-and-out in a few hours; forget a few days. So the bigger issues are
> just finding if (and where) the trail is out, and making trail crossings very clear so no one gets
> lost. After that, maybe campground and Mexican food. And beer, of course.

he's a regular at rec.backcountry so he's got *that* perspective on things.

penny

Taywood

Guest
Bruce W.1 wrote:
> What do mountain bikers riders care about?

Very steep up. Design a symbol for track type - up, contour, zig zag etc. Very steep down. Your
track symbol should cover - 1000ft table dropoff, Mammoth DH course, singletrack ridge ride or a
packhorse trail through centuries old Caledonian pines.

Bb

Guest
On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 16:52:37 -0000, Taywood wrote:

> Very steep up. Design a symbol for track type - up, contour, zig zag etc. Very steep down. Your
> track symbol should cover - 1000ft table dropoff, Mammoth DH course, singletrack ridge ride or a
> packhorse trail through centuries old Caledonian pines.

I also have a great interest/concern in spots which could cause me to fall to my death.

Bruce W.1

Guest
"Penny S." wrote:

> he's a regular at rec.backcountry so he's got *that* perspective on things.
>
> penny

Hi Penny. Is alt.mountain-bike one of your usual haunts?

Penny S.

Guest
Bruce W.1 wrote:
> "Penny S." wrote:
>>
>> he's a regular at rec.backcountry so he's got *that* perspective on things.
>>
>> penny
>
> Hi Penny. Is alt.mountain-bike one of your usual haunts?

first assignment for amb is to do your own homework.

penny

Westie

Guest
"Taywood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Bruce W.1 wrote:
> > What do mountain bikers riders care about?
>
> Very steep up. Design a symbol for track type - up, contour, zig zag etc. Very steep down. Your
> track symbol should cover - 1000ft table dropoff, Mammoth DH course, singletrack ridge ride or a
> packhorse trail through centuries old Caledonian pines.

This is a good point. I know that if you read your topo map properly you can figure it out for
yourself - most of the time. But some sort of designator for gradient might be good. Something for
type of trail might be good too. But really I don't think that there's much that's needed
specifically for mountain bikers. Sources of fresh potable water? I dunno. I'm lucky enough to live
in country where 99 times out of 100 you can safely drink from any stream. A symbol for trails that
you are allowed to ride? Beats me.

Westie

Status
Not open for further replies.