What do pro racers drink during races?

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by Xandre, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Xandre

Xandre New Member

What do pro racers drink during races? Do they drink water? Those specialized hydration drinks? Are there rules as to what they can and cannot drink during a race? If it's a hot day, are the drinks cold? Thanks...just wondering.

Tags:

2. dhk

dhk New Member

Well, looks like either the pro's aren't here....or they don't want to tell us. Most likely the answer is very personal, and would depend on the event. Water plus a carb/electrolyte replacement would be pretty common I think. Also, a variety of hi-glycemic carb gels and energy bars.

I bet it varies alot, particularly with the european pros. Would be interesting to know what some of the riders drank and ate on the bike during the TdF.

Dan

3. tafi

tafi Member

I know they definietly aren't allowed to drink liquid EPO!

But seriously, a mate once picked up a discarded (full) bottle at the tour down under and had a taste. From what we could tell it was a watered down electrolyte sports drink. it is watered down because it is hard to digest something which is too sweet.
    So that means they drink pretty much what ther rest of us do!

i've become a Staminade man myself

4. Jfurmmtnbike

Jfurmmtnbike New Member

It really depends on what kind of race. From the ones I have talked to, they say that it is mostly personal preference, but on long rides, usually a watered down gatorade. For shorter races (2 hours or so) They switch from water, gatorade, and will drink Excellerade on their last lap.

However I think its all just preference.