What do these bike terms mean? Total cycling novice.

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Gary, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Gary

    Gary Guest

    Hi,

    I am wondering if anyone can enlighten me to what the following things are. Also if you have any
    information about performance or reliability - let me know :)

    1:An "Alloy cross rigid" Frame.

    2:Rigid Cromo Fork

    3:Shimano Tiagra with Rapid Fire - Gears

    4:Alloy 52/42/30x175mm Chain

    5:Alloy 'V' type Brakes

    6:700c alloy double wall rims with quick release front & rear hub - Wheels

    7:Adjustable 'comfort' stem.

    Thanks,

    Gary.

    Tags:

  2. Rob Campbell

    Rob Campbell Guest

    >1:An "Alloy cross rigid" Frame.
    Alloy means that the bike's frame is made of aluminium alloy. i.e. not steel or carbon fibre. Rigid
    means no suspension. Not sure about "cross". Could mean that the frame is designed for cyclocross
    racing or that it has some gimicky design feature.

    > 2:Rigid Cromo Fork
    cromoly is a type of steel alloy used in most steel bikes. Rigid means that it does not have
    suspension. The fork is the two-pronged bit of metal that the front wheel conects two. The prongs
    join at the top where they are connected to a tube which the handlebars are attached via the stem.

    > 3:Shimano Tiagra with Rapid Fire - Gears
    Shimano make a range of groupsets (groupset refers to the components of the bike- e.g. front and
    rear gear mechanisms, hubs, chain, cogs (sprockets), wheel rims, etc...). The more you pay the
    lighter and suposedly better the groupset will be. See Shimano's web page to learn more about the
    Tiagra groupset and how it compares with others which they manufacture. Also see Campagnolo which is
    the other major component manufacturer. Shimano is Japanese and makes excelent components. Campag is
    Italian and has been around for longer. Both are equally good. Don't ask which is better because
    you'll just start a flame war. Do a google groups search to see what has happened in the past when
    such questions have been asked.

    Rapid fire is a system for changing gears. Go to a bike shop and try different systems by Campag and
    Shimano to see which you prefer.

    > 4:Alloy 52/42/30x175mm Chain
    I assume you mean "chain ring". The chain rings are the large "cogs" attached to the cranks (the
    straight bits of metal to which rotate around the bottom bracket and to which the pedals are fixed).
    Most bikes have either two or three chainrings. The setup you describe has three. The numbers refer
    to the numbers of teeth on the large, medium and small chainrings. The 175mm refers to the distance
    between the center of the pedal axel and the center of the bottom bracket axel (the fixed bearing
    around which the cranks rotate). Cranks usual come in lengths between 170 and
    175mm. Track bikes usually are 165mm. Some racing bikes for large riders have up to 180mm
    long cranks.

    > 5:Alloy 'V' type Brakes
    This is a brake design that acts on the wheel rim. Other varients are cantelver. It would be easiest
    to see difference if you went to a bike shop and saw the designs at work. Mountain bikes are
    increasingly coming fitted with disk brakes- which work like motorcycle brakes.

    > 6:700c alloy double wall rims with quick release front & rear hub - Wheels
    700c refers to the wheel diameter. 700c is standard for a road bike. Mountain bike wheels are
    slightly smaller at 650c. Quick release means that the axel is hollow and has a simple mechanism
    skewered through it to allow the wheel to be removed rapidly without tools. That's very useful if
    you puncture or want to pack the bike in the boot, but it also means that the wheels can be easily
    stolen if you leave the bike locked to a railing

    > 7:Adjustable 'comfort' stem.
    The stem is the bit of metal the links the handlebars to the forks. If it's adjustable, that
    probably means that the angle can be changed to allow control over the height of the handlebars.

    Performance and reliability are dependant on the exact components we're talking about. e.g. the
    bottom end Shimano road groupset - Sora - is made with a lot of plastic, is heavy, and will wear
    relatively soon. Their top end road groupset - Dura Ace - is made mostly of metal and carbon fibre
    with a lot "exotic" metals like titanium. A complete Dura Ace groupset will set you back over £1000.
    Campagnolo provide better quality at the same price (in my opinion).

    If you want to learn more about various aspects of cycling, take a look at our club web page-
    http://users.ox.ac.uk/~cycling

    There are many links there which you will find useful.

    Rob

  3. Ryan Cousineau wrote:

    > Thanks for the advice; I do indeed surf Usenet with a trusty iMac named Indigo Montoya, after my
    > favourite character in S. Morgenstern's (NOT W. Goldman's!) best novel.

    You've read other works of his? Are they any good?

    > I use OS9, but my primary mail client is...mutt, on a Sun box at SFU. I like the convenience of
    > telnetting in to get my mail from anywhere without the agony that is the SFU web client (though
    > the client is convenient for other stuff.
    >
    > I think SFU offers an IMAP option; maybe I should join the 21st century.

    If you're telnetting to fraser, the *only* option is IMAP. That's why mutt is the default now, since
    I gather pine and elm don't support IMAP.

    > I also should stop complaining about spam, since SFU provides automatic subject-line
    > spam-flagging.

    Yeah, the new spamassassin feature is really nice. They extra headers it adds (e.g. X-Spam-Level)
    are even nicer than the subject line flagging. I particularly like the X-Spam-Report on flagged
    messages, which tell you how the score was generated. They even account for things like what
    news/mailreader was used to send the message. For example, using MS-Outlook increases the spam
    score, whereas Emacs Gnus decreases it . . .

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    Dinosaurs aren't extinct. They've just learned to hide in the trees.

  4. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Matt O'Toole"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    > > If you're running OS X, I can vouch for Mailfilter X which kills better than 95% of the 30-40
    > > spam messages I get a day. And occasionally a good one- oops. You have to fix the filtering
    > > rules sometimes. I find that about 10 rules kill most of the spam I get (mainly referring to
    > > multipart text/html mails, a few TLDs like .kr, and e-mails which don't have my address in the
    > > To: or CC: headers)

    > 30-40? I get at least a couple hundred -- after filtering. I still don't see what the big deal is,
    > picking the ones you want from the inbox, moving them to another folder to read them, and trashing
    > the rest. Even when the mail has built up after being away for a week, it still doesn't take more
    > than a minute or two.

    Yup, this is true- but the porn spams really piss off my wife, so I filter to kill those mainly. A
    couple hundred spams a day? Yikes.

    > FWIW, the new Bayesian filters in the latest Mozilla builds work really well, but I don't use
    > Mozilla for mail and news because I hate the newsreader.

    Agreed on the Mozilla newsreader. Yuck.

    Mac OS X 10.2.x's built in filtering is Bayesian, I believe. SpamSieve provides Bayesian filtering
    for various Mac OS X mail clients (but not OS X's Mail for 10.1.5 or earlier, apparently):

    http://c-command.com/spamsieve/index.shtml

    MailFilter X uses the Unix mailfilter application whch uses regular expressions to filter on
    any header:

    http://e-scribe.com/osx/mailfilter/

  5. Bikeracer

    Bikeracer Guest

    [email protected] wrote in message

    > . . . It's what you write, how defensible it is, and how well you back it up with evidence and
    > simple tests through which the reader can verify what you write.

    If that's the case, then what difference does it make what name is in a .sig? Let the content speak
    for itself.

    Will "John Doe" make you feel better?

    > Use your name and join civility. (don't give out your e-mail address)

    Uncivilly yours,

    BikeRacer2000