What do u do with the bike boxes ?

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Dave Miller, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. Dave Miller

    Dave Miller Guest

    WHile I've been on some long trips before I have always had someone to pick me up, take care of the
    bike boxes, etc once I arrived and hold till I left.

    What do you rail/bus/plane savy folks do about with the boxes once you've arrived as an "orphan" in
    a strange land?

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. George

    George Guest

    For some time I've been collecting information on user experiences taking bikes on planes, trains,
    buses, boats, etc. There's lots of stuff on rentals, folding bikes, boxing, airlines, and railroads
    around the world and how to ride in/out of about 150 airports.

    See it at http://www.BikeAccess.net

    Several people have sent in notes about that. Most make a deal with a nearby hotel for first and
    last night and keep the boxes in between. I've done that myself. A very few airports may still have
    left-luggage depots. Many RR stations do. I have also just trashed a cardboard box and acquired
    another one for the return or take the return "naked."

    George

    Dave Miller wrote:
    > WHile I've been on some long trips before I have always had someone to pick me up, take care of
    > the bike boxes, etc once I arrived and hold till I left.
    >
    > What do you rail/bus/plane savy folks do about with the boxes once you've arrived as an "orphan"
    > in a strange land?
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Greg Shannan

    Greg Shannan Guest

    Dave:

    This is what we have done:-

    If you use a cardboard bike box (from your LBS), then the easiest thing is to tear or cut it up and
    throw it out where you assemble the bike. On the return either get another from a local LBS (you
    don't say where you are going, but these are pretty thick on the ground), or use the plastic that
    airlines will give you for the naked bike.

    If you have a "real" bike box (i.e. one you want back), stay in a hotel the first night. Call ahead
    and make sure this hotel will keep your bike boxes for the duration and return to that hotel when
    you head off. Some camp sites may well do this too.

    I should point out that the cardboard bike boxes will only "probably" protect your bike; i.e. expect
    the possibility of having to repair your bike when you arrive.

    ... Greg Shannan

    <Dave Miller> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > WHile I've been on some long trips before I have always had someone to pick me up, take care of
    > the bike boxes, etc once I arrived and hold till I left.
    >
    > What do you rail/bus/plane savy folks do about with the boxes once you've arrived as an "orphan"
    > in a strange land?
    >
    > Thanks

  4. Ken Brown

    Ken Brown Guest

    I had a tough time finding a box in my home city that was large enough, because I have a 25"
    frame. With so many people riding MTB there are not many boxes large enough. I was therefore
    concerned about abandoning my box in Vienna - how would I find another in a city where I do not
    know the stores?

    Never-the-less I did abandon it because I was not staying overnight in Vienna. When I arrived back
    16 days later I found an excellent bike shop and they gave me a large box. I thought it was too
    small but the owner gave me a tip I had never been given in Toronto, turn the forks backwards. I had
    known to remove the handlebars and front wheel, but by removing the front fender and reversing the
    forks, the box does not need to be as long.

    Somebody else mentioned using a bag supplied by the airline. While Austrial Airlines is
    bike-friendly and said they would take the bike as-is, they did not have bags to supply. I believe
    some airlines insist on boxes.

    Ken Dave Miller <> wrote:

    >WHile I've been on some long trips before I have always had someone to pick me up, take care of the
    >bike boxes, etc once I arrived and hold till I left.
    >
    >What do you rail/bus/plane savy folks do about with the boxes once you've arrived as an "orphan" in
    >a strange land?
    >
    >Thanks

    Ken Brown, Toronto Canada Ontario Rail Trails: http://webhome.idirect.com/~brown delete "nospam" if
    replying via e-mail

  5. Dave Miller

    Dave Miller Guest

    Thanks to all - I'm sure I can get at least one of the ideas to work for me!

  6. W. Morris

    W. Morris Guest

    If you unpack it at the airport, my experience has been that you can leave it right there.
    Hopefully, they will recycle it. A few years ago, I called US Airways in the Bozeman, MT airport
    to make sure they had a bike box available and they had saved some previously used ones to give
    out at no cost.

    Wayne

    www.AdkBikes.com - Adirondack Bike Touring Pages www.AdkPaddles.com - Adirondack Canoe and
    Kayak Pages