What do you call brakes where you pedal back to brake?

I'm about to buy my first bike, I know that I don't like hand brakes.

What do you call brakes where you pedal back to brake? I much prefer
those. I find them far more intuitive.

[email protected] wrote in news:1144110163.810248.181390
@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

> I'm about to buy my first bike, I know that I don't like hand brakes.
>
> What do you call brakes where you pedal back to brake? I much prefer
> those. I find them far more intuitive.

coaster brakes. good luck! i think they're safer as well, but you just
can't do that really cool-looking backwards pedaling thing. a trade-off.

--ag

[email protected] wrote in news:1144110163.810248.181390
@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:
> What do you call brakes where you pedal back to brake? I much prefer
> those. I find them far more intuitive.

Those are coaster brakes. You can only find them one 1-speed kid's bikes.
They only work on the rear wheel, so are not effective at speeds over 10mph
or when riding downhill.

andy gee wrote:

> [email protected] wrote in news:1144110163.810248.181390
> @v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:
>

> > I'm about to buy my first bike, I know that I don't like hand brakes.
> >
> > What do you call brakes where you pedal back to brake? I much prefer
> > those. I find them far more intuitive.
> >

> coaster brakes. good luck! i think they're safer as well, but you just
> can't do that really cool-looking backwards pedaling thing. a trade-off.
>
> --ag

Hahaha. Why would I want to do backwards pedaling? Is that like
moonwalking?

On 3 Apr 2006 17:22:43 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>I'm about to buy my first bike, I know that I don't like hand brakes.
>
>What do you call brakes where you pedal back to brake? I much prefer
>those. I find them far more intuitive.

They're called coaster brakes. They are much less effective than hand
brakes. Their predominant use at this time is on bikes for kids,
where they have less mass involved that must be brought to a halt.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

On 3 Apr 2006 17:22:43 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>What do you call brakes where you pedal back to brake?

In polite company I just call them insufficient. When riding with one
I find more descriptive terms expressing the same sentiment.
You can't ride them much faster than you'd like to be going when
forced to bail out.

Starting out from a stop is also less than optimum because you can't
reposition the pedals to where you'd like them.

Their advantages are their ultra-low maintenance and that they're
consistently bad in the rain or dry.

For a cruiser or chopper though they do permit stylishly clean lines.

Don't be afraid of hand operated brakes, just learn how to use them.
--
zk

Werehatrack wrote:
> On 3 Apr 2006 17:22:43 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>

> >I'm about to buy my first bike, I know that I don't like hand brakes.
> >
> >What do you call brakes where you pedal back to brake? I much prefer
> >those. I find them far more intuitive.

> They're called coaster brakes. They are much less effective than hand
> brakes. Their predominant use at this time is on bikes for kids,
> where they have less mass involved that must be brought to a halt.
> --

They're much better for utility bikes and braking in the rain. Most
European utility bikes still have them, often with an added front
brake. Nothing wrong with them at all. They're good for a bike that you
don't want to service very often or gets left out in the rain.

Not everybody needs uber disc brake stopping action. I've got a bike
with discs, a rim brake single speed racer, and a dowdy old German bike
with a coaster brake. Each bike has enough brakes for its intended
purpose.

They're still relevant. Don't put them on a go-fast bike, and avoid or
have an extra front brake in very hilly areas as they do lose braking
power on extended descents.

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 17:22:43 -0700, casioculture wrote:

> I'm about to buy my first bike, I know that I don't like hand brakes.
>
> What do you call brakes where you pedal back to brake? I much prefer
> those. I find them far more intuitive.

They're called coaster brakes.

Matt O.

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 18:46:58 -0700, Zoot Katz wrote:

> On 3 Apr 2006 17:22:43 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>
>>What do you call brakes where you pedal back to brake?

> In polite company I just call them insufficient. When riding with one
> I find more descriptive terms expressing the same sentiment.
> You can't ride them much faster than you'd like to be going when
> forced to bail out.
>
> Starting out from a stop is also less than optimum because you can't
> reposition the pedals to where you'd like them.

We all grew up riding these bikes, for miles and miles through all kinds
of traffic and hills, and it never bothered us.

> Their advantages are their ultra-low maintenance and that they're
> consistently bad in the rain or dry.

Perhaps, but they also let you ride and brake while carrying things under
your arm, such as a surfboard. Thus the beach cruiser...

There was a one-armed surfer in my neighborhood, who rode quite
comfortably with his surfboard under his one arm. How was he supposed to
use a hand brake?

Matt O.

Coaster brakes on Single speed or some internal gear rear hubs.
Fixed gears you push backwards on pedals to brake.

[email protected] wrote:
> I'm about to buy my first bike, I know that I don't like hand brakes.
>
> What do you call brakes where you pedal back to brake? I much prefer
> those. I find them far more intuitive.

"landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> They're much better for utility bikes and braking in the rain. Most
> European utility bikes still have them, often with an added front
> brake. Nothing wrong with them at all. They're good for a bike that you
> don't want to service very often or gets left out in the rain.

Not in this bit of Europe they don't.. In the UK I've never seen a
back-pedal brake in reality.

Cheers, helen s

wafflycat said:
"landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> They're much better for utility bikes and braking in the rain. Most
> European utility bikes still have them, often with an added front
> brake. Nothing wrong with them at all. They're good for a bike that you
> don't want to service very often or gets left out in the rain.

Not in this bit of Europe they don't.. In the UK I've never seen a
back-pedal brake in reality.

Cheers, helen s
Oh, but they do.

One of my bikes has a nice Shimano 3 speed hub gear with internal roller brake SG-3R40 (that's "pedal back brake" or "coaster brake" to the rest of us).

They're part of the Nexus range.

They generally aren't as effective as "hand-brakes" but they're not as bad as people are making out. Mine is on a chop-cruiser (see avatar) and I can use it to knock some speed off on a hill (gently), or to skid with (not bad considering all the weight is over the rear wheel). It's just a matter of getting used to the feel of it.

Cheers,

Wheelist

p.s. It's also possible to get a Shimano 7 speed rear hub with roller brake - see the Nexus link.

"wheelist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> wafflycat Wrote:
>> "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>

>> > They're much better for utility bikes and braking in the rain.

>> Most
>> > European utility bikes still have them, often with an added front
>> > brake. Nothing wrong with them at all. They're good for a bike

>> that you
>> > don't want to service very often or gets left out in the rain.

>> Not in this bit of Europe they don't.. In the UK I've never seen a
>> back-pedal brake in reality.
>>
>> Cheers, helen sOh, but they do.

> One of my bikes has a nice Shimano 3 speed hub gear with internal
> roller brake 'SG-3R40'
> (http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product.php?pid=101701) (that's
> "pedal back brake" or "coaster brake" to the rest of us).
>
> They're part of the 'Nexus range' (http://tinyurl.com/m6naf).
>
> They generally aren't as effective as "hand-brakes" but they're not
> as bad as people are making out. Mine is on a chop-cruiser (see avatar)
> and I can use it to knock some speed off on a hill (gently), or to skid
> with (not bad considering all the weight is over the rear wheel). It's
> just a matter of getting used to the feel of it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Wheelist
>
> p.s. I'm fairly certain that it's also possible to get a Shimano 7
> speed rear hub with roller brake.

Oh I'm certain they'll be out there, it was the comment I was replying to
where the poster put "Most European utility bikes still have them" IME of
the UK, 'most' don't.

Cheers, helen s

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 19:15:38 +1000, wheelist
<[email protected]> wrote:

>One of my bikes has a nice Shimano 3 speed hub gear with internal
>roller brake 'SG-3R40'
>(http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product.php?pid=101701) (that's
>"pedal back brake" or "coaster brake" to the rest of us).

A coaster brake is not a roller brake. The Shimano internally geared
hubs are available with either a roller brake or coaster brake.

SG-3R40 indicates that it is a roller brake. The coaster brake model
number is SG-3C40.
--
zk

wafflycat wrote:
> "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > They're much better for utility bikes and braking in the rain. Most
> > European utility bikes still have them, often with an added front
> > brake. Nothing wrong with them at all. They're good for a bike that you
> > don't want to service very often or gets left out in the rain.

> Not in this bit of Europe they don't.. In the UK I've never seen a
> back-pedal brake in reality.

I said "Europe" not the UK. Such brakes are ubiquitous in Holland,
Denmark, and Sweden for a start.

The Brits contribution to braking was the Rube Goldbergian rod brake,
found on the typical roadster. I think they symbolize braking or are
some sort of devotional relic, as they don't actually seem to stop the
bike.

>Hahaha. Why would I want to do backwards pedaling?

To balance at stop signs and lights without putting your foot down.

--
In 1913 the inflation adjusted (in 2003 dollars) exemption for single people
was $54,567, married couples' exemption $72,756, the next $363,783 was taxed

On 2006-04-04, andy gee <[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] wrote in news:1144110163.810248.181390
> @v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:
>
>> I'm about to buy my first bike, I know that I don't like hand brakes.
>>
>> What do you call brakes where you pedal back to brake? I much prefer
>> those. I find them far more intuitive.

> coaster brakes. good luck! i think they're safer as well, but you just
> can't do that really cool-looking backwards pedaling thing. a trade-off.

They're not safer, as they only work on the rear wheel and are prone to
uncontrolled skidding in panic stops. For safe braking you need both front
and rear wheel brakes. A fixed gear road bike can get by with only a front
caliper, as the rear wheel can be modulated using your legs, but a
coaster-brake only bike should only be used at moderate or lower speeds
to assure adequate control in braking.

--

John ([email protected])

On 2006-04-04, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> [coaster brakes are] much better for utility bikes and braking in the rain. Most
> European utility bikes still have them, often with an added front
> brake. Nothing wrong with them at all. They're good for a bike that you
> don't want to service very often or gets left out in the rain.

I use front and rear drum brakes on my commuter bike. Just as
water-resistant as coaster brakes, but work on the front as well.

--

John ([email protected])

"Zoot Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 19:15:38 +1000, wheelist
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>One of my bikes has a nice Shimano 3 speed hub gear with internal
>>roller brake 'SG-3R40'
>>(http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product.php?pid=101701) (that's
>>"pedal back brake" or "coaster brake" to the rest of us).

> A coaster brake is not a roller brake. The Shimano internally geared
> hubs are available with either a roller brake or coaster brake.
>
> SG-3R40 indicates that it is a roller brake. The coaster brake model
> number is SG-3C40.
> --
> zk

Having grown up with coaster brakes (Bendix) on most of my childhood
Schwinns, you now have me intrigued. What's the difference between a
coaster brake and a roller brake? I've taken apart a lot of coaster brakes
and maintained them.

Charles of Schaumburg.