What do you call out when you come up behind pedos?

Onlooker

Guest
I only recently rediscovered bicycling and that there are LOTS of nice MU paths winding their way
thru the city. I try to avoid tmes when there are lots of joggers and dog walkers out but on some
paths, they just cant be avoided.

What seems to get the best results to warn them you are passing?

I feel funny calling out "Bike!" because it sort of sounds like I am demanding the right of way or
for them to yield ('get out of the way, I'm coming thru!).

I've tried "Passing", "on your left" and others. I'm fondest of "on your left" because it
indicates where / how I intend to pass, but MOST ESPECIALLY with dog walkers you just cant predict
what they will do. Rather than simply moving over to the right (like you would in an auto), they
might move to the left, or right, or my favorite, when there are 2 of them they might split and
"yield" the middle.

Recently, after I called out a warning, one slopehead mope in a duo each walking a dog felt
compelled to stop dead and turn around like I might be lying or something. I was on the left,
pointed to the left as I drifted even more left. Guess where the mope moved?

How far back do you call it out? I cant seem to determine the optimum range: too far and they cant
hear, too close and they irritated or paniced.

TIA

Onlooker <none@> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> I only recently rediscovered bicycling and that there are LOTS of nice MU paths winding their way
> thru the city. I try to avoid tmes when there are lots of joggers and dog walkers out but on some
> paths, they just cant be avoided.
>
> What seems to get the best results to warn them you are passing?

I say "Good morning" or "Good afternoon", depending on the time of day, when I find myself sharing a
path or road with pedestrians. Politeness usually defuses any potential irritation they may have at
finding a cyclist so close, and it certainly causes them to turn and take note of me, usually moving
away to make room as they try to figure out whether they know me.

I usually call out within 8-10 feet, though at this point I've slowed down to accommodate any sudden
moves on the part of those walking.

It works for me, in any case.

----
[email protected]

I call "on your left" usually at 75 feet or so. If there is no reaction I'll call again. If I'm not to out of breath I thank them as I go by.

Tencast--

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:13:23 -0500, Onlooker <none@> wrote:
> might be lying or something. I was on the left, pointed to the left as I drifted even more left.
> Guess where the mope moved?

My concern with "On your left", which is what I say, is as you experienced; they hear "left"
but do not know / hear / understand what else you said, so they move left like they think you
asked them to.

On bike / MU paths around here, there are signs that say to walk against the bicycle traffic (walk
on left, cycle on right). This strategy works well when people do it.

--
Rick Onanian

In article <[email protected]>, tencast <[email protected]> wrote:

> I call "on your left" usually at 75 feet or so. If there is no reaction I'll call again. If I'm
> not to out of breath I thank them as I go by.
>
> Tencast--

I call out "passing on your left" and thank them with a smile as I pass.

Dave in Minnesota

In article <[email protected]>, saki <[email protected]> writes:
> Onlooker <none@> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>

>> I only recently rediscovered bicycling and that there are LOTS of nice MU paths winding their way
>> thru the city. I try to avoid tmes when there are lots of joggers and dog walkers out but on some
>> paths, they just cant be avoided.
>>
>> What seems to get the best results to warn them you are passing?
>
> I say "Good morning" or "Good afternoon", depending on the time of day, when I find myself sharing
> a path or road with pedestrians. Politeness usually defuses any potential irritation they may have
> at finding a cyclist so close, and it certainly causes them to turn and take note of me, usually
> moving away to make room as they try to figure out whether they know me.

That's very much my approach, too. I find initially signalling with my bell preferable to any verbal
calling-out. The bell has that distinctive sound that immediately identifies it as being attached to
a bicycle. Using it causes people who might otherwise be tuning-out nearby verbiage to turn around,
assess the situation for themselves, and respond accordingly. Then we can trade smiles and "hellos"
as I gently pass.

> I usually call out within 8-10 feet, though at this point I've slowed down to accommodate any
> sudden moves on the part of those walking.

That sounds right. I figure 1 foot's distance for each Km/h of speed (sorry for mixing units), up to
15 Km/h. Faster than that is too fast for a MUP anyway. 10 Km/h or less seems to generally be a good
speed for safely passing pedestrians on a MUP.

> It works for me, in any case.

Same here. It might be frustrating for someone who's in a hurry, but riding on a MUP is basically
"leisurely strolling through the park" anyway, so frustration is incongruous in those circumstances.

cheers, Tom