What do you call this wacky cone wrench?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jens Kurt Heyck, Mar 10, 2004.

  1. In trying to adjust a hub, I've found it darn near
    impossible to reach a nut on one side with a cone wrench
    because it is surrounded by a flange that's about 1/2 inch
    bigger and which sticks up about 1/4 inch. The manufacturer
    tells me I just need to get a special cone wrench. Does
    anyone know what this wrench might be called?

    I assume the wrench would be almost "L" shaped with the
    open end at the bottom of the wrench.

    thanks in advance

    Jens

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Jens Kurt Heycke wrote:

    > In trying to adjust a hub, I've found it darn near
    > impossible to reach a nut on one side with a cone wrench
    > because it is surrounded by a flange that's about 1/2 inch
    > bigger and which sticks up about 1/4 inch. The
    > manufacturer tells me I just need to get a special cone
    > wrench. Does anyone know what this wrench might be called?
    >
    > I assume the wrench would be almost "L" shaped with the
    > open end at the bottom of the wrench.

    Most modern rear hubs are adjusted by locking the lubricated
    right side threaded bits and then a final adjustment on the
    left side. AFAIK "special" only means metric and thin. What
    hub are you working on?

    --
    Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1
    April, 1971

  3. "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Jens Kurt Heycke wrote:
    >
    > > In trying to adjust a hub, I've found it darn near
    > > impossible to reach a nut on one side with a cone wrench
    > > because it is surrounded by a flange that's about 1/2
    > > inch bigger and which sticks up about 1/4 inch. The
    > > manufacturer tells me I just need to get a special cone
    > > wrench. Does anyone know what this wrench might be
    > > called?
    > >
    > > I assume the wrench would be almost "L" shaped with the
    > > open end at the bottom of the wrench.
    >
    > Most modern rear hubs are adjusted by locking the
    > lubricated right side threaded bits and then a final
    > adjustment on the left side. AFAIK "special" only means
    > metric and thin. What hub are you working on?

    It's a proprietary Falcon Sports hub on their Accel II
    disc wheel.

    http://www.planetsports.com/hockeyworld/FalconSports/velo/

    The problem is on the non-drive side. It looks kinda
    like this:

    ---
    $||||||||||&--
    ---

    It seems like I should be able to tighten the outer nut (&)
    in opposition to the inner one ($). But I can't reach the $
    with any cone wrench I have, because the flange (---)
    blocks access.

    --Jens

  4. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    "Jens Kurt Heycke" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > It's a proprietary Falcon Sports hub on their Accel II
    > disc wheel.
    >
    > http://www.planetsports.com/hockeyworld/FalconSports/velo/
    >
    > The problem is on the non-drive side. It looks kinda
    > like this:
    >
    > ---
    > $||||||||||&--
    > ---
    >
    > It seems like I should be able to tighten the outer nut
    > (&) in opposition to the inner one ($). But I can't reach
    > the $ with any cone wrench I have, because the flange (---
    > ) blocks access.

    That's a sealed cartridge bearing hub. There is no
    "adjustment" as such to do upon it. If the axle is loose and
    has axial play, remove the outer locknut and spacers, then
    snug down the inner locknut with
    e.g. a deep socket, and replace the spacers and outer
    locknut.

    If your bearings are "loose" in other than the axial
    direction, they are damaged and require replacement.

    Chalo Colina

  5. "Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Jens Kurt Heycke"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > It's a proprietary Falcon Sports hub on their Accel II
    > > disc wheel.
    > >
    > > http://www.planetsports.com/hockeyworld/FalconSports-
    > > /velo/
    > >
    > > The problem is on the non-drive side. It looks kinda
    > > like this:
    > >
    > > ---
    > > $||||||||||&--
    > > ---
    > >
    > > It seems like I should be able to tighten the outer nut
    > > (&) in opposition to the inner one ($). But I can't
    > > reach the $ with any cone wrench I have, because the
    > > flange (---) blocks access.
    >
    > That's a sealed cartridge bearing hub. There is no
    > "adjustment" as such to do upon it. If the axle is loose
    > and has axial play, remove the outer locknut and spacers,
    > then snug down the inner locknut with
    > e.g. a deep socket, and replace the spacers and outer
    > locknut.

    Thanks for the advice. It only has a sealed cartridge on one
    side (the website is innaccurate). The other side has cup,
    cone, and loose bearings. It's kinda like a Powertap hub,
    which is also a PITA, BTW.

    -- Jens

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Jens Kurt Heycke wrote:
    > It's a proprietary Falcon Sports hub on their Accel II
    > disc wheel. http://www.planetsports.com/hockeyworld/Falco-
    > nSports/velo/ The problem is on the non-drive side. It
    > looks kinda like this:
    > ---
    > $||||||||||&--
    > ---
    > It seems like I should be able to tighten the outer nut
    > (&) in opposition to the inner one ($). But I can't reach
    > the $ with any cone wrench I have, because the flange (---
    > ) blocks access.

    I could't find a picture of that hub

    --
    Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1
    April, 1971

  7. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    "Jens Kurt Heycke" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > It only has a sealed cartridge on one side (the website is
    > innaccurate). The other side has cup, cone, and loose
    > bearings. It's kinda like a Powertap hub, which is also a
    > PITA, BTW.

    I see. I remember working on an Falcon Sports flat disk
    wheel once upon a time. It was of the freewheel type, and
    both of its bearings snugged up against shoulders on the
    axle without any provision for preload adjustment.

    Cassette freehub bodies do not mix well with cartridge
    bearings, which is one of the reasons I won't use
    cassette hubs.

    Chalo Colina

  8. "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >>Most modern rear hubs are adjusted by locking the
    > >>lubricated right side threaded bits and then a final
    > >>adjustment on the left side. AFAIK "special" only means
    > >>metric and thin. What hub are you working on?
    > >>

    > Jens Kurt Heycke wrote:
    > > It's a proprietary Falcon Sports hub on their Accel II
    > > disc wheel. http://www.planetsports.com/hockeyworld/Fal-
    > > conSports/velo/ The problem is on the non-drive side. It
    > > looks kinda like this:
    > > ---
    > > $||||||||||&--
    > > ---
    > > It seems like I should be able to tighten the outer nut
    > > (&) in opposition to the inner one ($). But I can't
    > > reach the $ with any cone wrench I have, because the
    > > flange (---) blocks access.
    >
    > I could't find a picture of that hub

    Other than that cheesy letter diagram above, unfortunately,
    I don't have one. The website only provides far-away photos.

    --j

  9. "Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Jens Kurt Heycke"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > It only has a sealed cartridge on one side (the website
    > > is innaccurate). The other side has cup, cone, and loose
    > > bearings. It's kinda like a Powertap hub, which is also
    > > a PITA, BTW.
    >
    > I see. I remember working on an Falcon Sports flat disk
    > wheel once upon a time. It was of the freewheel type, and
    > both of its bearings snugged up against shoulders on the
    > axle without any provision for preload adjustment.
    >
    > Cassette freehub bodies do not mix well with cartridge
    > bearings, which is one of the reasons I won't use
    > cassette hubs.
    >
    > Chalo Colina

    Well, I ended up sending the wheel back to Falcon Sports for
    repair because it was out of true anyway. They're going to
    start using all catridge bearings all around and they may do
    this with my wheel.

    They're very nice there and are paying shipping, though I
    can't say I was overjoyed to get a new wheel with a handful
    of parts where you have figure out the spacing and assemble
    it yourself.

    -- Jens