What do you carry in your toolkit?

In article <[email protected]>,
Ben C <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 2008-05-30, Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Most of my tool kit fits into an Altoids can and was inspired by
> > Jobst's tool kit(s):
> >
> > http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-003/000.html#example-tool-kits
> >
> > Mine has a Ritchey CPR 9, 8 mm allen wrench, small folding pliers
> > ("Swiss Army"), Park spoke wrench, Rema patches and glue, Park tire
> > boot, a couple spare spoke nipples, and a bit of rag, mainly to
> > prevent rattling. In addition to that there is a spare tube and a
> > Crank Bros. tire lever in my saddle pack.

> I carry a spoke wrench (but [smug mode on] haven't needed it out on
> the road since I started building my own wheels), but what's the
> point of spare nipples?

The spoke breakage I have encountered in the past couple of years has
been at the first thread at the nipple end. These have all been with DT
stainless 14/15 g spokes. That renders the nipple useless. I do have a
couple of spokes taped to the pump, chain stay or fender stay as well.

Also, I carry them in case I have to true a wheel for some reason and a
nipple rounds off. I've had to fix other people's bikes on the road.

On 2008-06-03, Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Ben C <[email protected]> wrote:

[...]
>> I carry a spoke wrench (but [smug mode on] haven't needed it out on
>> the road since I started building my own wheels), but what's the
>> point of spare nipples?

> The spoke breakage I have encountered in the past couple of years has
> been at the first thread at the nipple end. These have all been with DT
> stainless 14/15 g spokes. That renders the nipple useless. I do have a
> couple of spokes taped to the pump, chain stay or fender stay as well.

I see, yes it makes sense if you're also carrying some spokes.

> Also, I carry them in case I have to true a wheel for some reason and a
> nipple rounds off.

Although if it has rounded off it might be difficult to get it off in
order to replace it with the spare.

And Sunday night, on the way to the movies, I ran over a NAIL, an
actual nail in the rear tire.

Glass, yes. Thorns, yes, but a Nail? And coming down an overpass at
speed too. Good thing it wasn't the front (oh wait, the front is that
kevlar tire....)

Anyway, that was the one time in a long time I didn't bundle the bike
bag along and was stuck with out patch repair at hand.

Anywho, I'm repacking said tool kit right after I get offline- the bag
was drying after a wash so...

TBerk

Tom Berk wrote:

> And Sunday night, on the way to the movies, I ran over a NAIL, an
> actual nail in the rear tire.

> Glass, yes. Thorns, yes, but a Nail? And coming down an overpass
> at speed too. Good thing it wasn't the front (oh wait, the front is
> that Kevlar tire....)

That was because nails can't puncture front tires except when closely
following another wheel. Nails lie flat on the road until they are
tilted up by a rolling tire. If you see an unavoidable mess of nails
on a road (not tacks that stand on end), just ride slowly. Nails
don't balance well on end.

> Anyway, that was the one time in a long time I didn't bundle the
> bike bag along and was stuck with out patch repair at hand.

> Anywho, I'm repacking said tool kit right after I get offline- the
> bag was drying after a wash so...

I often pick up nails and dump them in a safe place when stopped at
intersections with debris piles where cars rarely travel. These piles
also contain coins and tools at times.

Jobst Brandt

"Brian Huntley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
On Jun 2, 8:42 pm, "Saudade" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> A picture's worth a thousand words. Or, in my case, at least a couple of
>> dozen. I also carry my cell phone and wallet in my rack bag. Everything
>> else, except the pump, fits into the seat bag.
>>
>> http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k290/Saudade_ii/Bikes/Univega_0095.jpg

>Is that a soccer ball inflator near the exention hose?

Well, it *could* be used for that but I carry it to fill beach volleyballs.
;)

I also carry bandages. Regular and those 2" ones. A little road rash,
clean it with water, bandage, on your way until you get home and can
really deal with it.

Per RS:
>A little road rash,
>clean it with water, bandage, on your way until you get home and can
>really deal with it.

Few years back, a local cyclist (Southeastern Penna) lost his leg
to road rash.

Something about antibiotic-resistant bacteria ("necrotizing
faciatitis"?) and a matter of hours before getting to a hospital.

That started my on my BetaDyne kick - that, along with the
recollection of getting really, *really* sick (as in can't recall
anything for a couple of days and face swollen to where it was
round) from just scraping myself with some sandpaper in Hawaii).

Haven't got a clue if it would help - and at least one emergency
ER person has told me they don't like the stuff bco tissue damage
- but whenever I get a wound, I hose it out with drinking water,
and then squirt BetaDyne into/over it.
--
PeteCresswell

"(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Per RS:
>>A little road rash,
>>clean it with water, bandage, on your way until you get home and can
>>really deal with it.

> Few years back, a local cyclist (Southeastern Penna) lost his leg
> to road rash.
>
> Something about antibiotic-resistant bacteria ("necrotizing
> faciatitis"?) and a matter of hours before getting to a hospital.
>
> That started my on my BetaDyne kick - that, along with the
> recollection of getting really, *really* sick (as in can't recall
> anything for a couple of days and face swollen to where it was
> round) from just scraping myself with some sandpaper in Hawaii).
>
> Haven't got a clue if it would help - and at least one emergency
> ER person has told me they don't like the stuff bco tissue damage
> - but whenever I get a wound, I hose it out with drinking water,
> and then squirt BetaDyne into/over it.

Water with a couple of extra drops of Clorox works just as well and is a
heck of a lot cheaper. What's more, if you don't over-do the Clorox you can
always drink the water in an emergency.

"Chlorine bleach (unscented) such as Clorox or Purex. Check the label to be
sure that hypochlorite is the only active ingredient. Do not use bleach that
contains soap. - 4 to 6% chlorine - Add 8 drops of bleach/gallon of water"

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 12:41:45 -0700, RS <[email protected]> wrote:

>I also carry bandages. Regular and those 2" ones. A little road rash,
>clean it with water, bandage, on your way until you get home and can
>really deal with it.

You're joking right? Road rash is something that happens often enough
on your rides that you prepare for it?

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]lid
says...

>Per RS:
>>A little road rash,
>>clean it with water, bandage, on your way until you get home and can
>>really deal with it.

>Few years back, a local cyclist (Southeastern Penna) lost his leg
>to road rash.
>
>Something about antibiotic-resistant bacteria ("necrotizing
>faciatitis"?) and a matter of hours before getting to a hospital.
>
>That started my on my BetaDyne kick - that, along with the
>recollection of getting really, *really* sick (as in can't recall
>anything for a couple of days and face swollen to where it was
>round) from just scraping myself with some sandpaper in Hawaii).
>
>Haven't got a clue if it would help - and at least one emergency
>ER person has told me they don't like the stuff bco tissue damage
>- but whenever I get a wound, I hose it out with drinking water,
>and then squirt BetaDyne into/over it.
>--
>PeteCresswell

Yes, Betadine is good stuff and if something unfortuneate happens I will
use it once I get home. Would be totally impractical to carry it but just
washing off an rash on the road helps a lot, you're right.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

wrote:

>>I also carry bandages. Regular and those 2" ones. A little road rash,
>>clean it with water, bandage, on your way until you get home and can
>>really deal with it.

>You're joking right? Road rash is something that happens often enough
>on your rides that you prepare for it?

Fortuneately a couple of very minor incidents but it can happen. Why risk
infection? I carry 2 tubes because I broke a valve on one when I got a flat
20 miles out and fortuneately had a patch kit with me. Since carrying
the extra tubes, patch kit and Park quick patches I haven't gotten a flat.

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 21:56:58 -0700, RS <[email protected]> wrote:

>Fortuneately a couple of very minor incidents but it can happen.

Good to hear.

> Why risk infection?

Because the odds of having the road rash are so low.

You could fall and get an infection in other situations. Do you carry
the kit off the bike too?

In article <[email protected]>,
"Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:

> "(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Per RS:
> >>A little road rash,
> >>clean it with water, bandage, on your way until you get home and can
> >>really deal with it.

> > Few years back, a local cyclist (Southeastern Penna) lost his leg
> > to road rash.
> >
> > Something about antibiotic-resistant bacteria ("necrotizing
> > faciatitis"?) and a matter of hours before getting to a hospital.
> >
> > That started my on my BetaDyne kick - that, along with the
> > recollection of getting really, *really* sick (as in can't recall
> > anything for a couple of days and face swollen to where it was
> > round) from just scraping myself with some sandpaper in Hawaii).
> >
> > Haven't got a clue if it would help - and at least one emergency
> > ER person has told me they don't like the stuff bco tissue damage
> > - but whenever I get a wound, I hose it out with drinking water,
> > and then squirt BetaDyne into/over it.

> Water with a couple of extra drops of Clorox works just as well and is a
> heck of a lot cheaper. What's more, if you don't over-do the Clorox you can
> always drink the water in an emergency.
>
> "Chlorine bleach (unscented) such as Clorox or Purex. Check the label to be
> sure that hypochlorite is the only active ingredient. Do not use bleach that
> contains soap. - 4 to 6% chlorine - Add 8 drops of bleach/gallon of water"

Problem here is that the solution disinfects only when
made fresh daily. Bleach is a rather complex buffered
solution. Once diluted from bottle strength the buffering
is changed and the active fraction salts out.

Please do not ask me much more. I had a spot of bother
with rates and buffering in freshman chemistry, and even
the mavens in sci.chem had to thrash out bleach before
reaching agreement on exactly what is going on. Suffice
to say that all agents who are held accountable for their
recommendations tell us to make a new solution each day.

<http://www.ehrs.columbia.edu/decon.html>

--
Michael Press

Per RS:
>Would be totally impractical to carry it but just
>washing off an rash on the road helps a lot, you're right.

Those itty-bitty squeeze bottles that contact lens solution
samples come in work pretty well.
--
PeteCresswell

Per John Forrest Tomlinson:
>Because the odds of having the road rash are so low.
>
>You could fall and get an infection in other situations. Do you carry
>the kit off the bike too?

Am I the only one that's heard of people getting into serious
trouble (as in loss of a leg) from "flesh-eating bacteria", aka
"necrotizing faciatitis"? Or from antibiotic-resistant staph?

Maybe actual "road" rash - from falling on pavement - is rare;
but riding off road, I've had my share (maybe a little more than
my share) of fairly-impressive gashes and punctures... as in
several per year.
--
PeteCresswell

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 20:26:50 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Per John Forrest Tomlinson:
>>Because the odds of having the road rash are so low.
>>
>>You could fall and get an infection in other situations. Do you carry
>>the kit off the bike too?

>Am I the only one that's heard of people getting into serious
>trouble (as in loss of a leg) from "flesh-eating bacteria", aka
>"necrotizing faciatitis"? Or from antibiotic-resistant staph?
>
>Maybe actual "road" rash - from falling on pavement - is rare;
>but riding off road, I've had my share (maybe a little more than
>my share) of fairly-impressive gashes and punctures... as in
>several per year.

I guess off road is a different thing - I don't do it and have only
heard such. In this discussion, I assumed road rash was from the road
and that's what the person earlier was talking about. If you cut
yourself from falling on the road in your regular riding with any
frequency, you're doing something wrong.

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
> Per John Forrest Tomlinson:
>> Because the odds of having the road rash are so low.
>>
>> You could fall and get an infection in other situations. Do you
>> carry the kit off the bike too?

> Am I the only one that's heard of people getting into serious
> trouble (as in loss of a leg) from "flesh-eating bacteria", aka
> "necrotizing faciatitis"? Or from antibiotic-resistant staph?
>
> Maybe actual "road" rash - from falling on pavement - is rare;
> but riding off road, I've had my share (maybe a little more than
> my share) of fairly-impressive gashes and punctures... as in
> several per year.

Who's smoking what around here? If you fall on the road going fairly fast
(as I did one week ago), you're going to get road rash. I took a high-speed
(40 mph) fall on a turning descent, and /only/ got rash (scrapes and
abrasions) on my right knee, hip, both elbows, left wrist, left hand
(minor), and the worst was a severe contusion to my right shoulder (torn
ligaments if not labrum or rotator cuff).

I used rubbing alcohol (THAT felt good) when I got home and never dressed
the wounds at all. Also have a hot tub with chlorine.

I suppose it's conceivable that some nasties could get in there, but I've
never worried about 'em and so far so good.

Bill "hoping to try first ride back tomorrow" S.

"Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I used rubbing alcohol (THAT felt good) when I got home and never dressed
> the wounds at all. Also have a hot tub with chlorine.

The hot tub with chlorine was the kicker. If you stay in for an hour you
heal very rapidly and usually without scarring.

You have to have a fairly high level of chlorine though.

On Jun 5, 7:13 pm, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> (PeteCresswell) wrote:
> > Per John Forrest Tomlinson:
> >> Because the odds of having the road rash are so low.

> >> You could fall and get an infection in other situations.  Do you
> >> carry the kit off the bike too?

> > Am I the only one that's heard of people getting into serious
> > trouble (as in loss of a leg) from "flesh-eating bacteria", aka
> > "necrotizing faciatitis"?   Or from antibiotic-resistant staph?

> > Maybe actual "road" rash - from falling on pavement - is rare;
> > but riding off road, I've had my share (maybe a little more than
> > my share) of fairly-impressive gashes and punctures... as in
> > several per year.

Your limbs could fall off from flesh-eating bacteria.
You could also get hantavirus, or salmonella, or
sleeping sickness, just from breathing, or eating, or
even from cannibalism. All of these things happen
(well, sleeping sickness is rare in the US), it's just a
question of how often and should you stay at home
under the covers or douse yourself in Purell after
going outside. Each rare case of flesh-eating bacteria
gets reported widely solely because it's gross.

> Who's smoking what around here?  If you fall on the road going fairly fast
> (as I did one week ago), you're going to get road rash.  I took a high-speed
> (40 mph) fall on a turning descent, and /only/ got rash (scrapes and
> abrasions) on my right knee, hip, both elbows, left wrist, left hand
> (minor), and the worst was a severe contusion to my right shoulder (torn
> ligaments if not labrum or rotator cuff).
>
> I used rubbing alcohol (THAT felt good) when I got home and never dressed
> the wounds at all.  Also have a hot tub with chlorine.
>
> I suppose it's conceivable that some nasties could get in there, but I've
> never worried about 'em and so far so good.

Keep a bottle of hydrogen peroxide at home. It stings,
but far less badly than rubbing alcohol. It's cheap at
any drugstore. We used to bring it as part of the first
aid kit at MTB and CX races, where scrapes and dirt
are expected.

Hydrogen peroxide and alcohol are not great
disinfectants, but hydrogen peroxide is moderately
effective for cleaning wounds. If you're really worried
about this, you can follow up with an antibiotic cream.
IMO, overuse of antibiotics is worse than the occasional
scrape.

If you get road rash, dressing it with Tegaderm or
equivalent (semipermeable clear bandage - small
ones about 3x4" are available at drugstores) will
keep the wound moist and prevent scabbing. This
heals more quickly and less painfully.

Ben