what do you do during the winter months?

JTE83 said:
I've done long distance workouts in 28F weather but my water bottles would freeze. Biked for transportation in 17F snowy conditions but the salt alsmost ruined my bike by corroding it! I hate using my trainer. If it's too cold or snowy - I just waste away!

I keep 1 bottle on the bike and another in a pack on my back. Before the one on the bike freezes, exchange it with the one on your back...that way, your bottles will never freeze during the ride.

surgtech1956 said:
What do you do for exercise during the winter(cold, snowy states) months?
i split a whole mudda ****** lot of firewood. Sorry to environmentalists, but there's nothing like warming up my cold feet in front of a nice fire. By March though, I'd like'ta never see another one.

This'll be my first winter since starting to ride, and the spin classes at the gym are going to save me. Also snowshoeing. I'd love to X-country ski, but after all the $$ I've put into biking this year, that could be the first article in my divorce papers.

GinaNY said:
This'll be my first winter since starting to ride, and the spin classes at the gym are going to save me. Also snowshoeing. I'd love to X-country ski, but after all the $$ I've put into biking this year, that could be the first article in my divorce papers.
Spin classes are great cardio workouts. Make sure that you do a little interval training to maintain your leg speed. Intervals are alternating periods of sprinting and recovery. You might try sprinting for 10 minutes and then pedaling easily for 10 minutes, and repeat this cycle for about an hour. When you feel up to it, increase to 15 minute sprints but only recover for 10 minutes each time. Increase the sprint time any time that you feel that you can do it. You will be surprised at how much faster and more fit you will be when you get back on your bike. You will be able to ride with the A group in your club.

I ride outside. Okay, I live in San Diego. Seriously for my after work rides when it gets dark early, I use the trainer. Boring, but the trainer is a heckva workout.

in sunny sydney, in winter, i usually have to take the arm warmers out of storage, if it gets really 'cold' i'll even concede to a pair of knee warmers. other than that it's business as usual ;-p

--brett

The gym is the usual. Shoveling yes that is a good form of exercise. An elliptical machine at home that I can use if I want to get cardio in. I also have a stand for the bike so I can use it as a stationary.

If I can, I'll still try to ride in the winter months.

Nothing is more fun then riding on snow, or more nerve-wracking either! Only time I won't ride during the winter is if the wind is pretty strong. If you catch it head on, it's not fun at all. You make much more progress getting off and pushing if the winds against you.

Once the snow and the ice starts around here I'm pretty much confined to the gym.
The sidewalks don't get cleared a lot of the time so running is out, and with huge snowbanks to either side of the road I don't feel very safe biking either.
Instead I use the elliptical, treadmill, or stationary bike at the gym, just to keep myself somewhat active.
I like to do Pilates too and I always step it up during the winter because it's something I can do in my apartment.
I don't drive so sometimes when the weather is really bad, just getting to the grocery store and back on foot feels like a workout.

I live in the south--it's not that cold during the winter, so I can still cycle. If the weather ever gets particularly unpleasant, I'll start going to my local gym more often.

We bundle up and ride. I mean it has to be a freezing 65 out here in California! :lol:

120812B.jpg

I can't ever imagine riding one of those in winter conditions.

Are they more stable at all compared to a regular bike?

Susimi said:
I can't ever imagine riding one of those in winter conditions.

Are they more stable at all compared to a regular bike?
MY post was actually in humor as the temps only drop as low as 65 her in So. California. Even the girls that beach wear bikinis mid winter. :eek:

But the tandem, yes very stable. The very few times we have been on the bike with wet ground I chose the tandem as it's very stable. Long wheel base and it feels less likely to slip out from underneath the 2 riders vs one short wheel base and 1 rider. B)

You get a bike appropriate for the conditions, the right gear, you ride.

I only wuss out at about 0 Fahrenheit perceived temperature and/or 6 or more inches of fresh snow (unless it's very fluffy stuff).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 4