what do you do during the winter months?

I have two bikes. One is on a trainer which is used during the winter months. The other stands ready for those occasional days where a fair weather rider as myself ventures out. I will take short outside rides around the neighborhood in cold weather but the real workout is on the trainer.

surgtech1956 said:
What do you do for exercise during the winter(cold, snowy states) months?
My back gets a workout shoveling the white sh*t.
My legs get a workout standing up after I slip and fall on the ice.
My jaw gets a workout eating all the holiday goodies that magically appear.

But most of all, my tounge gets a constant workout cursing the cold, ice and snow.

:D

I cross country ski, put the track bike on the roads when they are free of snow/ice and ride rollers if i'm off the road for more than two or three days.

Late fall and winter are also my busy time with shooting. I shoot in an indoor league for olympic (ISSF) type and NRA smallbore 3-position matches with a free rifle (heavy class). I'm usually out hunting a few days of deer season and sometimes for rabbit and pheasant seasons.

On nice days, above 20F and no snow I ride outside. The rest of the time I go to the Y. I have a trainer but hate to use it.

I ride outside when I can, ride rollers inside all other times. Mostly I freeze. I hate winter:mad: !

surgtech1956 said:
I usually ride still but only get in about half the miles per week, or less, than during the other 3 seasons. Speaking of seasons, 2 weeks ago it was in the 90's. But this morning it was in the 40's. Oh well, I got to try out my new arm warmers. Speaking of arm warmers, check out Joan Jett's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW_HCdU-qEY

Trail running, hiking, mountaineering, mountain biking, road riding (when the temperature is above 40F).

If I feel really ambitious I might use rollers or a resistance trainer but that is really, really boring and it is hard to get enough time per week.

In Ottawa, riding in winter is tantamount to suicide. Most MUPs don't get plowed and when the roads don't have slush or snow it's too cold to bike. I do a little xcountry skiing but mostly I try to walk.

Bike goes on a rack and I get on the slopes for 50-60 days a year, I started cycling just for that reason, stay in shape for snow season. Trainer gets worked out 1-2 days a week...maybe.

Ski my **** off and a little weight training. I bought trainer but I really don't like spinning so my nice fluid2 collects dust.

When it gets too cold for the road (which will be pretty soon now), the Giant TCR goes into the basement and the full susp Jamis comes out....ever ride at night? What a rush.....we ride two nights a week (with lights) and will ride until the snow is too deep. (riding in the snow is a blast too!) Once the snow is too deep, the group usually takes out snow shoes. I also ski and do a weekly spin class from January to March. It's all about staying in shape for the road........whoooooosh!!:cool:

surgtech1956 said:

Try to ride, but it gets mighty cold here sometimes. I like to say I ride on the trainer in front of the TV but that doesn't happen as often as it should.

i hunt, drink beer (not at same time), go to gym every now and then, mountian bike and "try" to run.

Trainer, roller or ride. Louisville, doesn't get much snow, but it get's cold here.
I'll be doing some ice biking this year though on my Diamondback.

spike tires on the mtb, cross-country skiing, weights, running, ice skating, rollers, and a bit of hiking. Whew!
Oh...and beer intervals :D

I've done long distance workouts in 28F weather but my water bottles would freeze. Biked for transportation in 17F snowy conditions but the salt alsmost ruined my bike by corroding it! I hate using my trainer. If it's too cold or snowy - I just waste away!