What do you do if you hit a car (and it's your fault)?

Discussion in 'Commuting and Road Safety' started by sfcommuter, Mar 16, 2004.

1. sfcommuter

sfcommuter New Member

I've seen lots of posts about being hit by a car, but I'm curious about people's experience if they've hit a car and damaged it (and it was their fault).

Does your auto insurance policy cover you if you damage someone's car (I'm guessing not).

Do you ride away quickly? :eek:

Do you offer to pay for the damage?

Tags:

2. manilacyclist

manilacyclist New Member

Do not ride away quickly...bad bad bad idea. You're just like the car driver who hit a cyclist and drove away quickly.

If its the cyclist's fault that the car attained some damage, I guess it wouldn't hurt to offer to pay for the damage. Or plead your case..."sir, the reason why I ride a bike is because I can't afford a lot of things including a car or even public transport".

I believe things can be ironed out through communication. If things do get nasty the the car owner gets abusive with you...contact bike groups like L.A.B or get a lawyer.

Stay safe.

3. chinodino

chinodino New Member

The liability portion of your standard auto policy covers damage to another automobile caused by you. I have had the unfortunate need to use this portion of my policy. I'd quote the section but I can't seem to locate my darn policy.

Never ride away from a collision you may have caused. A small incident will be turned into something much worse. The consequences of running will ALWAYS be worse than stopping.

It will be much easier looking for a cyclist on a black/yellow bike wearing a red/white/blue helmet and a "wonder bread" jersey than a (insert generic vehicle description here).

4. mjw_byrne

mjw_byrne New Member

But don't try this if you're riding a Pinarello Dogma ;)

5. Adam-from-SLO

Adam-from-SLO New Member

Back in 1996 , I majorly hit a car..... that was parked on the shoulder of the road. The road did not say "no parking at any time". The car had was there because it broke down.

Needless to say.... and to make a seriously long story short , I had to pay the motorist for all the damages, and also pay to get myself back into functional working order.

**About 7 months after that accident- the next year, the city/county made that road a "bicycle pathway" and a "no parking roadway". *When ever I get a chance to ride that road now , I get chills up and down my body..... because I know it was my fault as a cyclist..... yet at the same time I inadvertently made a change to that road way, so that hopefully other fellow cyclists will feel safe on that road.

I guess you could say, this accident is what made me famous as a person/cyclist/advocate

:)