What do you do if...

E500 C.E.

Aug 28, 2004
What do you do if you are solo rode biking and you get in a wreck far from home, and you are to injured to go on? Do you carry a cell phone with you in case this happens, or do you just hope someone nice stops to help?

E500 C.E. said:
What do you do if you are solo rode biking and you get in a wreck far from home, and you are to injured to go on? Do you carry a cell phone with you in case this happens, or do you just hope someone nice stops to help?

Whatever floats your boat. That is why some riders carry cell phones (at least I assume it's not to do business), while others of us will take our chances rather than packing the bike down with stuff for every possible emergency. Then again, I don't walk through malls talking to people on my cell phone either. :)

I usually have my cell phone in my pocket and, as long as I don't land on it, I'd use that to call for help. Otherwise hope for some nice person to stop and help.

eric_the_red said:
I usually have my cell phone in my pocket and, as long as I don't land on it, I'd use that to call for help. Otherwise hope for some nice person to stop and help.
Cell phone and wallet - and if not my whole wallet, at least my credit card, insurance card, and ID. If, God forbid, I ever get a serious head injury, people will at least know who I am by my ID. My insurance card for if I have to go to the hospital. Credit card...well just because.

I think I am the ONLY person in Japan sans mobile phone. I carry ID, and emergency number (in Japanese) and some cash (hardly anyone uses credit here). I have been hit once and had no problems finding someone to help. There are not too many untravelled roads here and there is almost always someone who will stop.

Basics...only the basics. Also, if you live solo, try to give a friend/co-worker the heads up when, where, and how long you are going. This way if you dont show up and havent contacted them, at least someone knows you are missing.

Safe travels

e

E500 C.E. said:
I carry my cell phone and consider it just as necessary as any other emergency piece of equipment such as a spare tube. I rarely use my cell phone just to chat, unlike others for whom the cell phone is an extension of their body:rolleyes:

Cindy

Cell phone, cash and ID in a little pouch I wear around my neck, under my jersey and an ID tag on my ankle. I always tell my wife the route I'm taking and when I expect to return, even when I'm riding in a group, if I deviate, I call and tell her of the change. If I'm going to do any off road stuff, I ALWAYS go with a friend, learned that one the hard way.

I ALWAYS carry my cell phone and my EpiPen. I'm allergic to bee/wasp stings and last year was stung. I suspect my ability to type this message today is largely a consequence of the fact I had the immediate means to stop the reaction and to call for help.

It is so on my "don't leave home without it" list.

Brunswick_kate said:
I ALWAYS carry my cell phone and my EpiPen. I'm allergic to bee/wasp stings and last year was stung. I suspect my ability to type this message today is largely a consequence of the fact I had the immediate means to stop the reaction and to call for help.

It is so on my "don't leave home without it" list.
i just head off out, sometimes with the intentions of getting lost, makes the ride more interesting seeing new sites, i have had one or 2 accidents where the ability to call someone would have come in handy, one rainy day i hurt my hip, sustained a hell of alot of road rash and broke my collar bone, but still managed to cycle the 19miles home.