What do you do in the winter if you have an urge to go biking?

It's not like there are a lot of choices:

Suck it up and go out in the cold.
Grind some out on the trainer.
Travel to somewhere warmer.
Find a velodrome.
Wait until spring.

Yeah...I was just seeing if there was someone out there who had something really awesome he though of. Supposedly you can hook up a trainer bike to a computer and you can "bike" in google street view

That sounds about half as awesome as biking outside.

Once and a while when I wimp out and do not go for a real ride, I will ride the trainer in my driveway outside - that way I don't need to bundle up as much or deal with a iced, dirty bike.

Group cycle classes can be a good workout as well, having others around is good motivation to go harder.

I don't care to bike much when it's below 40F or wet; prefer hiking in the hills, or hitting the trainers and weight circuit at the Y. Some of the local riders switch to mtn biking in winter. It's warmer in the woods at slow speeds, and it's a good break from the road. Cross-country skiing and ice skating are more fun aerobic options too. Actually got in 3 good days of cross-country skiing here in early 2011, but enough snow to lay down an XC track for alpine skis is rare for AL. Anything to keep moving and out of the recliner is good in winter.

I use my Tacx Imagin to ride :D.
If I can't I do running or other activity .

Unless there's ice on the road, or it's blowing a gale (a la supergale Sandy), I make sure I've got appropriate clothing
and just get out and ride the bike.

Hunting, target shooting, cross-country skiing, construction, hit the gym.

Cross country skiing is very good but I'd like to recommend nordic downhill (Telemark) skiing. Even if you use a chairlift to get to the top, it's very aerobically demanding and works your quads like nothing else. In fact I believe nordic downhill is better cross-training for biking that skinning uphill or traditional XC on flat or rolling terrain. I haven't tried skate skiing but I know it's good hard exercise. Of course all of these disciplines, like biking, can be approached with varying degrees of intensity.

Very late response but thanks for all of the replies! I switched accounts and I forgot the name and password for it. I stumbled across it here :D

Ha! So, what did you do over winter? Like many, I have a wet day bike, which is basically my crappiest alu frame with my oldest groupset on it. I even have wet day shoes. Ha. I often ride when it's a bit wet -- when there are scattered showers or a passing rain band -- but it depends how much I need or want to ride. It also depends how wet and cold it is: super wet roads with tonnes of road spray are no fun, and wet conditions under about 11C is pretty crappy. It might sounds tough of me to ride in the wet, :D but this is Melbourne, where the average very cold day in the middle of winter is about 50F (10C), and we have plenty of July and Aug days around 55 to 60. On really **** days, I'll often take a 'rest' and do some light upper body weights, because I know the next day will most likely be much better. Yes, I hate riding indoors; it drives me farkin crazy after about 20 mins. I also reckon it hurts ya **** and body a little more, because -- and this is my 2-bit theory -- the bike doesn't move underneath you as it does naturally out on the road. On a stationary bike, ya're just plonked on there will all the pressures on the contact points static. Good theory? Ha

Originally Posted by maydog .

Once and a while when I wimp out and do not go for a real ride, I will ride the trainer in my driveway outside - that way I don't need to bundle up as much or deal with a iced, dirty bike.
That is a great idea. So obvious yet so obscure.

Originally Posted by 531Aussie .

Yes, I hate riding indoors; it drives me farkin crazy after about 20 mins.
I used to whistle the same tune. You need a set of E-motion rollers.

Originally Posted by jpr95 .
It's not like there are a lot of choices:

... Travel to somewhere warmer...
I like that idea. I bicycle in the winter... if not too cold, icy, or wet with salty roads that might harm my bicycles parts and finish. I got in a dozen decent rides before spring. But I've been sick since spring so I am stalled with cycling even though the weather is pretty good.

I Like the idea of finding a warm climate, that is bicycle and wallet friendly. A place to do a few winter rides. I just wonder how far south from the mid-west I'd have to drive to find a good place to sleep cheap and ride lots?

Originally Posted by danfoz .

I used to whistle the same tune. You need a set of E-motion rollers.
Well, at least with rollers i'd have to concentrate on not crashing and falling out the window,