What do YOU do now?

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by tcklyde, Jun 30, 2006.

1. tcklyde

tcklyde New Member

No question: a terrible, terrible day for cycling.

So what do YOU plan to do today? Will you watch the Tour?

Me: I'm heading out for a ride. Tonight I'll catch a movie with some friends (most of my friends aren't into cycling) and I guess I'll tune in tomorrow to see what happens with what's left. But it will more be morbid curiosity than excitement.

Tags:

2. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

Seventy or eighty miles on my Moots, probably at an easy pace so I can just enjoy the feeling of riding.

I'll watch but it won't be the same. The way the commentators will play down the doping story is sure to be good for a laugh or two.

3. Raketmensch

Raketmensch New Member

Same for me... get on my bike, remember what's good about the sport, and try not to think about the Tour.

4. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Right now I am thinking that American Idol is looking good and I wish it were on this month.

5. El Loto

El Loto New Member

On Monday I plan to go on an angry ride. I guess I'll watch highlights if they are on. I don't think I could stay away from it though. I won't be able to stop thinking "what could have been".

6. Lonnie Utah

Lonnie Utah Banned

Rode my bike for an hour or so, cut the grass in the blazing sun. Popped a cold one and plan to celebrate the 4th over the next 5 days...

L

7. meehs

meehs New Member

I've been a big fan of professional cyling for a long time. But to be honest I'm more into riding my bike(s) than watching the pros ride theirs. The sport will rebound from this eventually and life goes on.

As far as watching the TdF, to be honest part of me says "why bother?" but the other, bigger part of me can't resist the temptation to watch because of what has happened. This could be a very weird and interesting TdF!

8. Lonnie Utah

Lonnie Utah Banned

I just got done watching "Breaking Away" on HBO sports. The only reason the Cutters won was 'cause they were on the Juice!!!

9. JohnDDD

JohnDDD New Member

I'm gonna find the most dangerous descent in the Tour this year, and where there's absolutely no turn to be found, I'm gonna write on the street:
    "DOPERS
    TURN LEFT"

10. Mansmind

Mansmind New Member

Watch the tour with a small glimmer of hope that some of those riders still there aren't doping. At the same time I'll be hoping in my mind that this occurence will start a REAL movement to get and keep the sport clean.

11. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I got on my bike at 4.00pm local time and pedalled 58 miles over "rolling" course
    and was back here for 6.41pm.

I will go to the pub tonight with my wife - to meet friends and to be sociable.
    Tomorrow I will join hundreds of fellow cyclists and I will ride the Ring of Kerry
    (112 miles) for charity.(it's a charity event).

I don't intend to watch the prologue.

And I don't think that I will be watching much of the rest of the TDF to be honest.

12. DHinrichs

DHinrichs New Member

I was quite excited for the Tour, adding up all the chances of everyone and calculating who could do what... It's such a big dissapointment. I actually really have wanted Floyd Landis to be in the running but secretely hoped that Jan would win the thing or at least make everyone chase him. Well, looks like Landis will get his chance but no more Jan. Just very very dissapointed.

13. graf zeppelin

graf zeppelin New Member

I also went for a good long ride today. Mowing on Sunday and some enjoyment with family over the long weekend. The TDF for me now lacks quite a bit of purpose. I will tune in here and there and follow the developments of the story online, but I doubt I'll be watching many of the TDF days this year. Not out of protest, but simply lack of interest with a number of the riders and possibilities I wanted to follow out. Maybe more to come.

Its frustrating to know its more pervasive in the sport than just the riders caught in this investigation, and therefore sad in a way they are out while others likely just as guilty are still in. Hope we make our way through this train wreck by next season's start but.. dunno.

14. Rhubarb

Rhubarb New Member

I can't think - can't talk. This was meant to be the best tour for years..........

15. nitrous

nitrous New Member

I'm shattered. I was really looking forward to this tour. Finally, we were going to have a great showdwn between Ulle and Basso, with Evans, Mancebo, Valverde, Landis battling out for the minors.

No doubt it will now be a tighter race although I bet Valverde wins, given that he seems to be involved as well but not suspended so if he is the biggest doper still racing then I'll hand it to him.

I'm going to watch Overcoming now and have a good laugh.

16. bobke

bobke New Member

Funny, my DVD came with the title"

"OVER-DRUGGING"

17. Catabolic_Jones

Catabolic_Jones New Member

I was shattered. I feel that from a sporting perspective, this Tour will not be of great interest; the Tour has always been about a classic agon, and we haven't got that this year. However, from a historical and cultural perspective, this is a fascinating Tour; hence, I'll keep my eye on it, but with more interest in the aftermath. Where does cycling go from here? That is what interests me.

18. discobean7

discobean7 New Member

I thought that it wouldn't affect me, but I've ended up turning off the OLN coverage both days now without having paid any attention to it. Just as well, I have a lot of work to do. My recommendation for all is the Pro Cycling Manager 2006 game. I got it yesterday and it's great. No doping and you're in complete control of the racing. If you're a DC fan you may be disappointed since the team is actually called "lost channel" and they are pretty weak. Hincapie's TT is terrible (Beltran was beating him). For the T-mob fans I rode a complete '06 tour and Ullrich crushed everyone. Basso was second at more than 24 minutes back.

19. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

I was thinking of buying this game ? Is it really any good ?

20. discobean7

discobean7 New Member

It's pretty entertaining and realistic, graphics are good, and you have control of everything. On the website there is a free trailer to download and a free trial version as well. It was $45 US. It has all the stage races, classics, etc. and lesser known races. ITTs and TTTs. You can race individual stages of the tours, can even cut all the flat stages out of the tour. Can also create your own grand tour. There is also the season long manager part of the game where you are in charge of training, tactics, and keeping your riders happy. Can also be played online against others. During a race you control your entire team, keeping an eye on energy reserves, HR, moral, speed, etc. You can launch attacks, counterattacks, protect your leader, push the pace, follow, or sprint. The tactics of the computer and talent of the big names is realistic. Can speed up the races to 8x so you don't waste your entire day and lots of camera angles (helicopters, finish line, multiple motor bikes). Like I said the "lost channel" is disappointing with the exception of Popo, and Salvodelli, and no LA. Lots of minor spelling errors in the rider's names. I'm just a big kid and a terrible procrastinator so I've been enjoying the game quite a bit.