What do you eat/drink on bike?

matteobma

Apr 8, 2004
Hello,
I usually prefer "natural energy food" like dry fruits apricot, date fruit, apple, mango, bread with honey... and almond, cashew; and i drink water, sometimes added with agave juice, sometimes (on long ride) cold vegetal broth.

I prefer avoid to use foods like sports-snack-bar, gel, energy drinks etc, they leve me nausea, and also contains hydrogentated fat :mad: (like a bulk of industrial foods).

What do you do eat/drink during your bike ride or tour ?
Ciao Matteo :)

matteobma said:
Hello,
I usually prefer "natural energy food" like dry fruits apricot, date fruit, apple, mango, bread with honey... and almond, cashew; and i drink water, sometimes added with agave juice, sometimes (on long ride) cold vegetal broth.

I prefer avoid to use foods like sports-snack-bar, gel, energy drinks etc, they leve me nausea, and also contains hydrogentated fat :mad: (like a bulk of industrial foods).

What do you do eat/drink during your bike ride or tour ?

not sure what energy bars/drinks/gels you use, but none of the *sports* bars/drinks/gels i use contain any added fats

ric

ric_stern/RST said:
not sure what energy bars/drinks/gels you use, but none of the *sports* bars/drinks/gels i use contain any added fats

ric
From lab analiysis appears components "not declared" on products pack, ...and so appears added "modified" fats. (some *sports bar* reach 17%fat). ;)
Ciao Matteo

ric_stern/RST said:
i mainly use these products (GO bar, gels, and drinks), which don't have any added fat (apart from the MCT orange GO *bar*) -- see www.scienceinsport.com
Ric thank's for your info... I will read (seems very serious), and can be that I will try its.

matteobma said:
From lab analiysis appears components "not declared" on products pack, ...and so appears added "modified" fats. (some *sports bar* reach 17%fat). ;)
Ciao Matteo

It would be nice if you could provide some proof (links to study, perhaps?) when making a claim like that. I'm sure the FDA would like to know about it as well. :cool:

-a

i'd always take sports bars or cereal bars as what your body needs and easy to stuff in your pocket. added fats? ah you'll burn em off. as for drinks, a mix of fresh orange, ice cubes, water and a pinch of salt does the trick for me and is as cheap as! was costin a small fortune in isostar and the like before, i think you can duplicate yourself whats in these sports drinks half the time at half the cost.

drewdoddy said:
i'd always take sports bars or cereal bars as what your body needs and easy to stuff in your pocket. added fats? ah you'll burn em off. as for drinks, a mix of fresh orange, ice cubes, water and a pinch of salt does the trick for me and is as cheap as! was costin a small fortune in isostar and the like before, i think you can duplicate yourself whats in these sports drinks half the time at half the cost.

although it is possible to duplicate sports drinks, the source of the carbohydrates in fresh orange (and other juices) is fructose, rather than glucose (in most sports drinks) and in the quantities in fresh orange can cause GI problems.

ric

If it's a long ride, >100 km say, I will take 2 Clif Bars, 1 Power Bar, and 2 bagles with peanut butter and jam (for lunch). I also use an electrolyte replacement drink called e-load, which I find to be very good.

I also eat a good breakfast before I leave.

i get in 50-80g of carbs per kilo of weight. that means a clif bar and 20-30 oz of accelerade depending on the temp. sometimes i will have an Accel Gel in the last 30-45 min of my training. i always come home worked and fatigued, but never dead. im currently experimenting with the Accelerade and Endurox product line (the 4:1 carb:pro ratio seems worth investigating) and i must say i think there is an improvememnt. mind you, it is not something that increases power, but endurance. i feel that when i used to be tired while using Powerbar Endurance i am not with the accel drink. plus, it isnt ASTOUNDING or anythng, just noticable.

vio765 said:
i get in 50-80g of carbs per kilo of weight. that means a clif bar and 20-30 oz of accelerade depending on the temp. sometimes i will have an Accel Gel in the last 30-45 min of my training. i always come home worked and fatigued, but never dead. im currently experimenting with the Accelerade and Endurox product line (the 4:1 carb:pro ratio seems worth investigating) and i must say i think there is an improvememnt. mind you, it is not something that increases power, but endurance. i feel that when i used to be tired while using Powerbar Endurance i am not with the accel drink. plus, it isnt ASTOUNDING or anythng, just noticable.

Are you sure about your figures? If you weighed 75 kilos you'd be carrying between between 3.75 and 6 kilos of carbs alone (assuming they are pure).

Most people work on 1gram of CHO per kilo body weight to replace losses while at full exertion.

mitosis said:
Eat: dried bananas, honey sandwiches, gels (when racing)
Drink: water.
I like honey sandwiches :p , ...somebody have an idea how many kcal ( :rolleyes: approx) it produce ?
Ciao Matteo

Food: Assorted fruit (as a snack), Gu and a powerbar.
Drinks: Water and/or Cytomax (depending on the length of the ride).

I'm not a racer, so this may seem odd. Take a slice of bread and cut it in quarters. Pour a little wine(i like white, use whatever) in a saucer. Dip only one side of the braed in the wine to get it wet. lay a small slab of turkey or chicken(pulled from bone, preferebly but packaged stuff works too) on the bread and a slice of your favorite cheese. Swiss for me! Wrap each mini-sandwich in foil and out in pockets. The wine is mainly to soften up the bread to make it digest better, but it also adds a little flavor and spirit. It really tastes good and not overbearing on rides for me and easy to pre assemble. Don't worry, they won't spoil. No bigger than a bar but nutritous, cheap, and yummy! Oh, and of course your favorite drink. I like iced tea in a small bottle and water in the biggie.

While I like jitmo's wine idea as I'm a bit of an alcoholic, I would usually take something like:

Banana or 2
Honey or jam sandwich
Sometimes I take a tube of honey - usually for if I'm planning on really hitting the hills hard.
If I'm going to end up a long way from home, or anywhere to buy food - then I often take a powerbar in case I bonk.

Sometimes I use sports drink, sometimes not (will often depend on temperature), but I usually add some salt to whatever I'm drinking.

If I'm riding a little longer (over 5-6hr), I will take a bum bag with some extra food in, or make sure that there will be a shop to stop at for lunch.

ric_stern/RST said:
i mainly use these products (GO bar, gels, and drinks), which don't have any added fat (apart from the MCT orange GO *bar*) -- see www.scienceinsport.com

MCT's are a bit dicey in the old Gastro-intestinal tract aren't they? I've always been a little worried about using products that contain them. Am I misguided? I heard they shredded a fair portion of Chris Legh's lower intestine in Hawaii (he's a top-ranked Australian ironman).

Roadie_scum said:
MCT's are a bit dicey in the old Gastro-intestinal tract aren't they? I've always been a little worried about using products that contain them. Am I misguided? I heard they shredded a fair portion of Chris Legh's lower intestine in Hawaii (he's a top-ranked Australian ironman).

i'm not overly well up on MCT's. i thought there was a paucity of data or it was all very equivocal...

i just mentioned that the orange flavour had MCTs so that someone didn't post i was incorrect (rather than i was making a positive suggestion to use them. however, i wasn't overly clear on that).

gotta dash, Tour is calling!

ric

MCT's can be a little tough on the system, but probably varies on intensity per individual.

http://www.uspharmd.com/packageinsert/m/MCT_Oil.html

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/90/4/1239

A lot of other links listed in the references in the previous link.
Two of those links below

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/49/2/326?ijkey=ba688595e0a3a08eb055f7bf3730f1ac3edeb1d5&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=retrieve&db=pubmed&list_uids=8744785&dopt=Abstract

Yes, time to go check on the TDF data.

jitmo said:
I'm not a racer, so this may seem odd. Take a slice of bread and cut it in quarters. Pour a little wine(i like white, use whatever) in a saucer. Dip only one side of the braed in the wine to get it wet.

The wine is mainly to soften up the bread to make it digest better, but it also adds a little flavor and spirit.

Just wanted to say that I got a laugh out of this :D

-a