What do you eat/drink on bike?

I just wanted to clarify something as my last post suggests that MCT's can irritate all individuals.

I have used MCT's back in the late 90's when it was more popular and I only remember a couple of times that it irritated my digestive system and that was due to using too much at one time.

I was actually thinking the other day about looking for MCT's again, but at the moment I am already using several types of oils and seeds in my diet.

I did learn something a couple weeks ago about another supplement the hard way. I experimented with a premixed pre exercise drink that had caffiene, niacin and AKG Arginine alpha-Ketoglutarate as a vasodialator. I was just curious what nitrous oxide NO2 could do to performance.

Bad Mistake for me as I already have blood pressure problems.
I knew the moment I started pedaling for a warmup that my heart rate shot up over 160 and I was in trouble. The next 40 miles was a complete struggle and a training disaster. I could barely put in any effort without peaking my heart rate.

Again not all supplements effect each the same, but that is what happened to me on this particular mixture. Typically I don't experiment, but since I sometimes consult with people I have to know a little bit about a variety of supplements. I should have known purely from the ingredients what the outcome would be, but sometimes I am hard headed.

jitmo said:
I'm not a racer, so this may seem odd. Take a slice of bread and cut it in quarters. Pour a little wine(i like white, use whatever) in a saucer. Dip only one side of the braed in the wine to get it wet. lay a small slab of turkey or chicken(pulled from bone, preferebly but packaged stuff works too) on the bread and a slice of your favorite cheese. Swiss for me! Wrap each mini-sandwich in foil and out in pockets. The wine is mainly to soften up the bread to make it digest better, but it also adds a little flavor and spirit. It really tastes good and not overbearing on rides for me and easy to pre assemble. Don't worry, they won't spoil. No bigger than a bar but nutritous, cheap, and yummy! Oh, and of course your favorite drink. I like iced tea in a small bottle and water in the biggie.
Have you ever been pulled over for under the influence!:)

Oh no, of course not. haha. I actually got this idea from a bike racing book a few years ago. I forget the proper European name of the sandwich, but i thought "Yuck!" Then i tried it and it really is yummy when your depleted (or almost).I've even tried turkey, cheese, and grape jam on this combo. I'm sure you know a couple tablespoons of wine doesn't affect your cycling skills nor cause dehydration. :cool:
serpent950 said:
Have you ever been pulled over for under the influence!:)

Doesn't mean any of this is right, but what I'm tinkering with at this point.

On a 50k training ride, low zone, I'll start with a banana and about 50 grams of oatmeal for breakfast. Little Cytomax to wash it down.

No additional foods on a ride but about 300 calories (48 ounces) of Cytomax drink per hour if it's hot out, if overcast about 150.

On a longer day say 100-150k, I'll have a banana for breakfast and about 100 grams of oatmeal. On the ride (lately) I'm trying to consume about 100-150 calories every 20-30 minutes from things like powerbars and gels.

I appreciate the convenience of powerbars and gels, etc, but am growing weary of them. I'm going to try some real food on Saturday. Gonna put in 5 hours in the saddle. Gonna take some bagles with jelly, some cookies, some chips (for the salt). Almost sounds like a picnic! :D

Right now, I'm trying to wrap my head around calorie uptake and CHO oxidation. Although I seem to be able to eat about anything while on the bike, there is no sense eating it if your system doesn't do anything with it, because it's already busy.

I see Mitosis mentioned the 1gr of CHO per kilo of body weight, and I am starting to feel this is more accurate (but I still have some real problems with that formula, that should be addressed in a different thread). I've been working with my bood sugars and watching the foods move through my system. I'm not diabetic, just curious about how it all works together... for my system.

GOOD GOD!!!

I just ate 1/2 a bagel for a midday snack, with some peanut butter and jelly on it...

estimated at:
350 calories, 46 carbs, 20gr of fat, 11gr of protein.

Glad I didn't make and eat the other half, CRIKEY! :eek:

Also, having done that, how exactly are you guys eating jellied up bagels on a ride? They're a mess ! ;)

That honey sandwich that was mentioned earlier, I just typed into dietclub.com.au to find out the details. I assumed wholemeal bread:

Cals 284cals
Fat 9.9g
Prot. 6.2g
Carb. 43.2g
Fiber 3.9g

slgeo1 said:
That honey sandwich that was mentioned earlier, I just typed into dietclub.com.au to find out the details. I assumed wholemeal bread:

Cals 284cals
Fat 9.9g
Prot. 6.2g
Carb. 43.2g
Fiber 3.9g

Are you deep frying the honey sandwich and adding tuna? Mine has about 40g of CHO in the bread, 0.5-1g of fat, plus the CHO from the honey. 0-1g of Protein. That's it.

Roadie_scum said:
Are you deep frying the honey sandwich and adding tuna? Mine has about 40g of CHO in the bread, 0.5-1g of fat, plus the CHO from the honey. 0-1g of Protein. That's it.

LOL no that's just 2 slices wholemeal bread, 1 serve butter, and 1tbsp honey. According to dietclub anyway; if you think their stats are wrong feel free to email them :) I imagine things like the brand of bread and whether you have butter makes a big difference.

I am using a bar/cookie. The recipe I got on this site.It really works for me.Did a 105 the otherday using this and it worked really well.As for a drink I am currently experimenting with a couple of options will post results. :)

slgeo1 said:

Cals 284cals
Fat 9.9g
Prot. 6.2g
Carb. 43.2g
Fiber 3.9g
Thank's for info... is my preferred during a ride.
:) Matteo

slgeo1 said:
LOL no that's just 2 slices wholemeal bread, 1 serve butter, and 1tbsp honey. According to dietclub anyway; if you think their stats are wrong feel free to email them :) I imagine things like the brand of bread and whether you have butter makes a big difference.

Yep. I don't use butter and make sure to buy low fat, low protein bread.

Add raisins to your mix. a small box is about 180 calories. they don't get ruined in the heat or sun and are easy enough to pour into your hand or mouth without stopping.

matteobma said:
Hello,
I usually prefer "natural energy food" like dry fruits apricot, date fruit, apple, mango, bread with honey... and almond, cashew; and i drink water, sometimes added with agave juice, sometimes (on long ride) cold vegetal broth.

I prefer avoid to use foods like sports-snack-bar, gel, energy drinks etc, they leve me nausea, and also contains hydrogentated fat :mad: (like a bulk of industrial foods).

What do you do eat/drink during your bike ride or tour ?
Ciao Matteo :)

I've never taken a journey, but I'm curious about the biker diet. Why are honey and jam sandwiches so popular, but peanut butter appears to be a no-no as I haven't heard it mentioned. And is there anything wrong with water or gatorade. A lot of those sports drinks are quite pricey.

Being a diabetic I go with a mixture of dry seaweed, raisins, and raw nuts along with water. Then again I ride a mountain bike three times (so far) around Prospect Park a day so I'm not sure if I'll need more potent stuff. When I biked 18 miles in Chicago last weekend (all flat land) I did have to pull over twice to a coffee shop first for a tuna sandwich and a deli second for some marinated chicken breast. Is there a replacement for refined glucose/fructose for people who need to avoid that stuff?