What do you fill your bottle with? and how do you recover from lethargy after the ride?

mutlut

Apr 24, 2011
I wonder what do pros (meaning you) fill their bottle with? With water only? Or sparkling water with more minerals? Orange juice? Or with an energizing drink sold in market? Or do you have a special recipe? Thank you all.

I'm a cycling newbie so forgive me if this drink is inappropriate for cycling, but it has worked well for me in other athletic and recreational pursuits.

• 4 oz green tea
  • 4 oz orange or orange/pineapple juice
  • 8 oz filtered or sparkling water
  • small pinch table salt (sodium chloride)
  • small pinch NoSalt salt substitute (potassium chloride)

I've never had bonked or had bloating or cramps as long as I kept sipping on this.

One bottle of water, one bottle Gatorade G2. I carry the water in case I crash. I don't think that Gatorade is very good for washing road rash. I generally drink the Gatorade first and then go with the water until I can stop and get more Gatorade on long rides. I use Gatorade because I like the taste, I don't have to mix it, it is readily available, and it is relatively inexpensive compared to other sports drinks that I like.

Myosmith, there is nothing wrong with your concoction. Everybody has their favorites and all that counts is that it works for them.

Mutlut, the Cat 1 racers use various drinks. A lot of them are proprietary mixes put together by their team and rarely do any of the riders drink the same stuff as anyone else in the peleton. What works best for one does not always work for another so there are variations throughout the team too. I don't believe that anyone could race at a pro level hydrating with only water.

Originally Posted by kdelong .

One bottle of water, one bottle Gatorade G2. I carry the water in case I crash. I don't think that Gatorade is very good for washing road rash. I generally drink the Gatorade first and then go with the water until I can stop and get more Gatorade on long rides. I use Gatorade because I like the taste, I don't have to mix it, it is readily available, and it is relatively inexpensive compared to other sports drinks that I like.

Myosmith, there is nothing wrong with your concoction. Everybody has their favorites and all that counts is that it works for them.
+1 good idea about the water for road rash. I carry one bottle of water and one of sports drink. Never entered my mind about cleaning out wounds.

2nd that about your drink mix Myosmith sounds good to me. I bet we would all be surprised if we spent a day in the gatorade plant and found out how they made gatorade.

Clear American Lime from Wally world. The fizz is gone pretty quick but
the lime stays with it. If I am out on the road, I do Sprite "0". I really don't
like just water.

I usually have Cytomax in both bottles. It tastes good, and I feel better for whatever reason. Maybe it's just mental but whatever works right ? On a really hot day I will make one bottle just water, so I can pour it on my head during the ride.

I just got the new GU Electrolite Brew from Carmichael's, plus a GU Recovery Brew for after the ride. Still undecided on those.

-Greg

Gatorade only for me. For shorter rides, I may dilute it a bit, but I like having the constant stream of sugar and electrolytes. It seems to help during the ride and also prevent lethargy after the ride when the body is trying to replenish glycogen stores. I'll drink water in a pinch, but I try to plan ahead to at least have Gatorade powder with me to mix with whatever water I may have to find (helps if it's somebody's nasty well water, too).

Jason

Originally Posted by jpr95 .

"prevent lethargy after the ride when the body is trying to replenish glycogen stores"

Jason

Wow what's whole lotta new science vocabulary for my research about fighting with my exhaustion after the rides, thanks a lot.

There's all kinds of things you can fill your bottle up with and be just as good and cheaper then bike boutique drinks that can cost $2.50 per bottle. Gatorade is great, it's the original and it cost about 10 cents per bottle if you use powder, but remember to dilute it 50% while riding. Orange juice, V8 Juice, Ovaltine, homemade drinks like 1/2 cup of OJ add 9 tbs of sugar and 3/8ths tsp of salt and 2 liters of water...cheap to make, there's all kinds of homemade brew here's another: 1 gallon of water and 1 pack of unsweetened Kool-aide (your choice of flavor) with 1 cup of sugar and 3/4th tsp of salt and 1/4th tsp of lite salt which is Potassium Chloride. Any way just do a web search and you find dozens homebrew drinks that work just as good as the expensive bike store **** for about a 10th of the cost and less.

Originally Posted by Froze .

"just do a web search and you find dozens homebrew drinks that work just as good as the expensive bike store **** for about a 10th of the cost and less."

Thank you, homemade energy drink is a good way to start. I did a web search and found out a dude wrote a recipe which he called it "do it yoursef energy drink (homemade gatorade)". I substituted some of ingredients and here it is, actually it is more or less what Myosmith wrote: I'll make a green tea for myself(for caffeine and vitamins), add sugar, add a pinch of salt(sodium as an electrolyte), squeeze a half lemon inside(potassium as an electrolyte and lots of more vitamins), and dilute it with clean nice water. I'll put it in the fridge and here is my gatorade. I will try this the first time I'll ride. One thing I hope it tastes well:))

Originally Posted by mutlut .

Thank you, homemade energy drink is a good way to start. I did a web search and found out a dude wrote a recipe which he called it "do it yoursef energy drink (homemade gatorade)". I substituted some of ingredients and here it is, actually it is more or less what Myosmith wrote: I'll make a green tea for myself(for caffeine and vitamins), add sugar, add a pinch of salt(sodium as an electrolyte), squeeze a half lemon inside(potassium as an electrolyte and lots of more vitamins), and dilute it with clean nice water. I'll put it in the fridge and here is my gatorade. I will try this the first time I'll ride. One thing I hope it tastes well:))

Walmart now sells "STOK" it's concentrated caffeine in a 1 oz pack with 24 in a carton, I take small GU bottle and pour one of those into it then add black coffee with no sugar...way cheaper then the energy drinks or the GU for that matter, and it works just as well if not better! And GU bottle comes with a strap to mount to your frame. Then about once an hour I take a swig of it.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolyte

Quote: Rehydration

In oral rehydration therapy, electrolyte drinks containing sodium and potassium salts replenish the body's water and electrolyte levels after dehydration caused by exercise, excessive alcohol consumption, diaphoresis, diarrhea, vomiting, intoxication or starvation. Athletes exercising in extreme conditions (for three or more hours continuously e.g. marathon or triathlon) who do not consume electrolytes risk dehydration (or hyponatremia).

A simple electrolyte drink can be home-made by using the correct proportions of water, sugar, salt, salt substitute for potassium, and baking soda.However, effective electrolyte replacements should include all electrolytes required by the body, including sodium chloride, potassium, magnesium, and calcium that can be either obtained in a sports drink or a solid electrolyte capsule.

Electrolytes are commonly found in fruit juices, sports drinks, milk, and many fruits and vegetables (whole or in juice form) (e.g. potatoes, avocados).

Originally Posted by cyberlegend1994 .

I prefer the Powerade products because they will provide all four electrolytes.
Do you(or anybody) think that we can get those four electrolytes(and more) by just drinking 'mineral water'? Does anybody know if the amount of salts in mineral water keep up with the amount of salts in powerade?

And one last question is that in my last post, the info from wikipedia, it says: "A simple electrolyte drink can be home-made by using the correct proportions of water, sugar, salt, salt substitute for potassium, and baking soda." Does anybody know what are the correct proportions?

Read my earlier post number 10, I gave a sample of the correct ingredients, which by the way corresponds with all research into electrolyte replacement while exercising in situations like cycling and running...which by the way basically mirrors Gatorade and the science that went into that formula many years ago, which over the years stood more modern science scrutiny. Power-aid? Just a bunch of marketing hype because Gatorade company thought the brand was getting stale and people were looking elsewhere due to the incorrect theory that what is new must be better.

Originally Posted by cyberlegend1994 .

Good find. You can get the sodium and potassium but not the calcium and magnesium from Gatorade products, I prefer the Powerade products because they will provide all four electrolytes.

I use Shotz Electrolyte tablets, they're sugar free and suitable for diabetics or people who simple don't want to consume tons of sugar.

Shameless plug: I use lemon-lime flavored "Heed" from Hammer Nutrition. Prefer to Gatorade/Powerade, and much less expensive when bought in the 5.1lb/80 serving container. I supplement with apple-cinnamon "Hammer Gel", which I purchase in a 650ml/26-serving "jug"; I carry up to 5 "servings" in a squeezable flask. Works for me, especially since I upped the strength of the Heed powder mix to two scoops per water bottle as per the directions on the package label.

https://www.hammernutrition.com/products/heed-sports-drink.he.html?navcat=fuels-energy-drinks
https://www.hammernutrition.com/products/hammer-gel.hg.html?navcat=fuels-energy-drinks
https://www.hammernutrition.com/products/hammer-flask.hf.html?navcat=accessories&subnavcat=bottles

Yes, Hammer sponsors my club and I get the stuff at reduced cost. But I use it because it works for me.