What do you fill your bottle with? and how do you recover from lethargy after the ride?

lots of interesting ideas here on drinks for the ride. I avoid anything with caffeine for the same reason I avoid any vaso/bronchiodilator. They are poison and nothing else. Got chronic sinus/bronchial problems? You'll never get rid of these conditions completely while using these things. The effect is temporary, and the aftereffect is punitive. Check the herb manuals and you'll see that the only use for caffeine is high enemas. Don't that just bless you real good?

To replenish potassium I use cider vinegar. A teaspoon in a water bottle is plenty. Good for skin, and easier than a banana or orange on the system. Good also for arthritis, and prevents a lot of food poisoning.
I toss in a splash of lemon & lime for taste, or a bit of juice....grape, cherry, strawberry, whatever appeals to you. If I'm really feeling cranky I'll put some liquid amino acids in there as well, especially for a longer ride, as this aids recovery.

That's what I use here. Just sharing my two cents worth. Enjoy.

Caffeine is not poison if not taken to excess which is true even with water!!! If you have chronic sinus problems then yes caffeine will inflame those, otherwise for normal folk it's not "poison".

FWIW, on the local news here this week they mentioned a study that said that men who drink 5 to 6 cups of coffee per day significantly lower their risk of prostate cancer.

Heck, I always worry that I drink too much coffee....maybe I should worry about something else. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

I've noticed the "recent studies" cited previously with some amusement. Next year there will likely be another "study" denouncing or refuting that one, etc....
I stand by my comments regarding caffeine....especially the one regarding its uses per herb manuals (high enemas). Notice I didn't mention any other uses for caffeine....because there were no other uses listed.

The above aside, I can concede that it may not be poison to everyone, but it is very irritating to the digestive tract, hence its use for enemas. It does aggravate sinus and bronchial infections/conditions/allergies, etc., and should therefore, be used with some wisdom and moderation, the latter being the major key here. I can find no medical/health benefits for its use in any of my herbal manuals, including the chinese herbal manuals. Use it if you wish, by my opinion on this will remain unchanged, and you are entitled to ignore it. I don't think anyone will die, unless they really overdo it with this stuff, and a lower backache should tell you that you've done so, as that's a sign of kidney infection/irritation and should be checked out by a doctor, unless, like me, you are already well-familiar with your own body's limits regarding this. It, like alchohol and refined sugar, remain poisons in my book, even if they're poisonous effect is mild or limited. I think neither of these things provide any benefit to the body, and all can be replaced with something much better, which should be determined by the individual user, as there is no "one size fits all" type of diet regimen.

Your mileage may vary and all that horse$hiite.

Originally Posted by ax25nut .

To replenish potassium I use cider vinegar. A teaspoon in a water bottle is plenty. Good for skin, and easier than a banana or orange on the system. Good also for arthritis, and prevents a lot of food poisoning
Veery nice substitute!

Originally Posted by 64Paramount .

FWIW, on the local news here this week they mentioned a study that said that men who drink 5 to 6 cups of coffee per day significantly lower their risk of prostate cancer.

Heck, I always worry that I drink too much coffee....maybe I should worry about something else. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif
I'm not sure about 5 to 6 cups, but I did hear the Coffee contains powerful antioxidants that just drinking one cup a day can significantly reduce your chances of catching a cold of the flu and reduce the duration of the illness. I drink 3/4ths of a cup of espresso...not a demitasse but a regular coffee cup, I make it at home, and that's what I put in my GU bottle when I ride long distances. And since I started drinking coffee about 15 years ago I've had 6 colds, prior to drinking coffee I would get at least one cold a year, vitamin C and other vits don't work anywhere near as good if at all, so I don't take any vitamins at all and haven't for 12 or 13 years. If you eat right you get all the vits you need from various foods and juices, you don't need a man made vit that only gets ****** out because your body can't absorb it like it can with food and juices. The health store/vitamin industry is a fraud and Americans are spending millions of dollars for stuff that doesn't work and in a lot of cases toxic.

For my long rides, I mix the following in a 1000ml bottle: 1 can sweetened condensed milk, water and baking coca to taste. It tastes like a chocolate shake but not too thick and is loaded with calories and protien. I am going to mix up a batch on Friday for a century ride.

Nutritional information:

1300 calories
30g Fat
220g Sugar
350mg Sodium
30g Protien

Also has electrolytes, calcium, magnesium and potassium.

On long rides I'll take 2 to 4 big 24oz bottles (dependent on length and the temp) and I usually have:

Hammer Perpeutuem - 1.5 scoops.
Hammer Endurolyte (power) - 2 scoops.

Per bottle.

If I'm riding without other sources of food I'll use 2 scoops of perpetuem per bottle. Never had a problem with "lethargy" after a ride while drinking that.

For recovery 3/4 of a 24oz bottle of:

2 scoops Hammer Whey protein
2 scoops Hammer HEED (lime)

Both of the above drinks are a bit tough to get mixed well, especially the latter. A couple of big ice cubes in the bottle help break the stubborn chunks of powder down when shaking the bottle.

No, it goes down smooth and stays put. I also carry a second bottle with water or sports drink to wash it down. I have had issues digesting solid foods on long hard rides, no issues with the condensed milk. When I run out of condensed milk, replace it with chocolate milk at my refueling stops.

I had even experimented with the mix at a sprint triathlon last year, I drank a good portion of the mix before the race and at T1 and had no digestion issues.

Reactions: mutlut
If you are feeling lethargic after a ride, make sure that you are still well hydrated and still fueling your muscles. Just because you have stopped riding doesn't mean that your body has stopped needing fuel to run. Your metabolism continues at a high pace for hours after you have stopped exercising. Therefore, post ride, I continue drinking a sports drink but at a lower rate because I'm not sweating anymore, and usually eat some carbs. I have heard that protein is good for post ride recoveries too. This may or may not be true, but I ate a small cheeseburger after my ride last Sunday to test this and felt ready to go again.

Originally Posted by kdelong .

If you are feeling lethargic after a ride, make sure that you are still well hydrated and still fueling your muscles. Just because you have stopped riding doesn't mean that your body has stopped needing fuel to run. Your metabolism continues at a high pace for hours after you have stopped exercising. Therefore, post ride, I continue drinking a sports drink but at a lower rate because I'm not sweating anymore, and usually eat some carbs. I have heard that protein is good for post ride recoveries too. This may or may not be true, but I ate a small cheeseburger after my ride last Sunday to test this and felt ready to go again.
This is very true, so is consuming protein within 15 minutes after riding.

Looks to be like a Camelbak without the high price. Each of us has a different idea of a long ride. Mine is anything over 100 miles. My lady friend and sometimes riding partner is in awe of anyone who can ride more than 22 miles.

Over 100 miles is pretty dang impressive. The first night I got my bike I did about 20 miles (according to google maps) & really wanted to do more, but the sun was setting and I don't have night riding equipment. I'm taking my bike out on the trails tonight & tomorrow. It's supposed to get pretty hot here, 92 degrees both days, & I haven't been outside for an extended amount of time for quite awhile. I've been more of a gymrat. I'm REALLY looking forward to the sun & fresh air, but of course I want to be as safe as possible! I'm really glad I found this thread.