What do you get out of racing?

JSWin

Jul 13, 2015
If you race what do you feel like you get out of it and so forth? What made you start?

Personal satisfaction. That satisfaction increases if I beat people the same age as me!! I started after doing a few fun rides and wanting to improve my times.

Ironically it's the training for racing I enjoy the most.

Ironically enough, I've never done clean bike races. I've done both marathons and triathlons, but never just a bike race. Honestly, I don't know. Sense of accomplishment? Bragging right? I always took it much more as a challenge to just complete a race rather than winning.

I do race just to test my limits and see how do I compete with other fellow cyclists. I am no pro athlete, I only do this just for fun and for my well being.

I have a local crit that's about 10 min away from my house and I loved racing them. I get a lot out of racing such as to really tap into my mind and start to block out the negative thoughts when the pain level gets really high. I love racing as not only a test on my skills on the bike, but the skills of my mind so when I get into stressful situations in normal everyday life I can handle them and not freak out like I would without the racing background. I recommend it for everyone who really wants a mental and physical challenge, just don't be afraid of a little pain!

I'm not into racing and had not been although when I ride with a group, I have been racing in my mind. When I pass by a rider, I feel like being superior but when a rider passes me by, I feel somewhat dejected. But that racing is only in my mind since the group ride is just a leisurely tour. For those athletic types, I guess the satisfaction of getting ahead is their motivating factor.

My racing days are behind me now, but what I used to enjoy the most was the competitiveness, not just against the other riders but with myself aswell.

I was never obsessed with being number 1, but if I could beat my previous times or improve my position from the previous race I was more than happy with that.

Racing is competition and competition gives adrenaline, so that's great for those who like to see who us better than who, it's a great way to put a number on your skill.

The adrenaline rush. It feels great to be in a race as you pedal away, the wind whipping across your face. I have always loved casual cycling and in my school days I used to cycle from town to town. But races are completely different ball game.

It's pretty great to ride a bike, but to be honest I prefer to do it at my own pace. Sure, I like going fast sometimes, but going beyond my limit can result in not having fun.

If you race what do you feel like you get out of it and so forth? What made you start?
Depression seeing those guys ride off faster than me.

It is nice to ride with guys who are of more or less your ability and who are concerned about your safety. You can do that on group rides. You can even go as fast or faster than the racers.

Depression? :D

Yep, a consistent group is something good, but as important as the biking skills if if they are good people to hang around with.

Really a good question. I would have to say the competition, pure and simple. I ride cause I love it...but the thrill of competition is why I race. That and to challenge myself I guess...

Ha, satisfaction! Cycling makes me feel good, makes me healthier, makes me know new places and interact with new people. ;)

The thrill of the competition as we've all mentioned I think is what drives the professional cyclists on as they get older. They might not be able to compete for 1st place anymore but it's that competitive spirit with the other riders around them that they find hard to let go.

I have never done competition, I just enjoy riding and knowing new places. Basically feeling good doing it and after that too.

Reading the posts on the thread so far, I'm actually surprised that more people haven't mentioned winning to be honest.

I myself mentioned competing but that's more testing yourself against the other riders. The thrill of winning a race is something entirely different altogether.

Ha, winning, I love winning that is a fact, but not when it concerns riding my bike because riding faster many times is more dangerous...