What do you guys think? (big pic warning)

Buffalo Dude

Jun 5, 2006
IMG_2264.jpg

IMG_2265.jpg

IMG_2266.jpg

IMG_2267.jpg

IMG_2268.jpg

IMG_2269.jpg

IMG_2270.jpg

IMG_2271.jpg

IMG_2272.jpg

IMG_2274.jpg

IMG_2277.jpg

I was told it's a 1999, been sitting for a bit and needs a tuneup. The shifters are a little picky in the downshift (probably need some cleaning and tuning/adjustment), but it runs smooth and it looks like it's got some pretty fancy parts. Thoughts? Opinions?

Guess it depends on the price....

I'm no expert, but I think the gruppo might be 97/98. Looks well cared after. Speeds plays are always welcome.

What do you want it for?

Depends on the price. It will be a fine roadbike with cleaning, some basic maintenance and new handlebar tape!

Looks like it was well kept.

if it fits you or can be dialed in i see a perfectly good training or racing bike. with a good cleaning, a bar wrap job and lubrication it will be ready for thousands of miles of fun.

Shimano 600 is the previous name for Ultegra and that's 8-speed. Nothing wrong with it of course but it's older than '98 and that stuff doesn't last forever so make sure the shifting is nice and crisp or it might need to be replaced.

I paid $300 for it. It's mostly for puttering around the city, commuting and the like. I'm not looking to do any centuries anytime soon. Bar tape is on my list of things, as well as a narrower handlebar. The shifters don't downshift too smoothly, kinda hard to find it. It's like it's missing the release to downshift. Can these be disassembled and cleaned/rebuilt? I'm not sure what replacements cost, but I can't imagine they'd be cheap.

$300 isn't bad at all considering that was Specialized's top frame 10 years ago and Shimano's second tier group. The Speedplay's alone are worth more than $100 and they look pretty new. You could pick up a 9 or 10 speed upgrade kit easy enough to give yourself a nice neew drivetrain. Good purchase.

Just watch the shifters. Dont want to scare you but these particular shifters are notorious for failing after having sat for a while. I dont know why but have seen many needing replacement soon after being brought out of the closet. Lube them well but not too much would be my suggestion for them.

not bad for $300. You may need new cables/housing and have the shifting readjusted. It's a common problem with used bikes. Shimano 600 was pretty reliable, at least the ones I worked on, so if the bike wasn't abused, they should still be good to go.

recently on e-bay I saw 8-speed Ultegra STI shift/brake levers go for $35. For sure you can clean the old grease out of the shifters and relube. That usually helps old shifters start shifting smoothly again.

i have an m2 frame and absolutely love it. watch ebay, every now and then the frames pop up and go for a decent amount of change (although the one on right now is only going for 9 bucks). mine is dark blue and is a 1996. dont know if they had different colors then or not though. ride it, its a great bicycle.

LeDomestique said:
Guess it depends on the price....

I'm no expert, but I think the gruppo might be 97/98. Looks well cared after. Speeds plays are always welcome.

What do you want it for?
That shimano 600 STI is circa 92/93.