What do you guys think of people who jog in bike lanes?

burtonator

Dec 12, 2010
I'm both a runner and a cyclist... and I HATE people that run in the bike lane. ESPECIALLY when there's a whole dedicated path for you to run on.

In SF on the Embarcadero the sidewalk is HUGE and there's plenty of space for you to run.

However, I occasionally see people running in the bike lane on the street.

1. It increases the chance that you're going to get hit by a car.
2. You're closer to carbon monoxide from the cars.
3. You're risking getting hit by a biker
4. You're causing the biker to have to go into traffic and increasing the chance of them getting killed.

Thoughts?

I know of someone here who jogged in the bike lane and got bumped by a car. There's no advantage to jogging there. If you're driving, and you see a jogger in the corner of your eye, you'll probably pay no more attention because you assume they are completely off the road and on the sidewalk, and then you check for any cyclists in the mirror as you begin your right turn... only to realize that jogger was in the bike lane infront of you. I've never actually seen anyone do it though, but it would be awfully annoying if I was on my bike and had to go around them. It'd be like when a cyclist takes up half the lane and cars have to change lanes around them lol... very annoying and dangerous.

Some bike lanes here are marked as shared (bike/walker/runner), a serious cyclist generally wouldn't ride on these. It doesn't bother me when I see people running in bike lanes, I simply check that its clear behind and give them a bit of room when I pass. People parking in them annoy me! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/hissyfit.gif

Originally Posted by steve .

Some bike lanes here are marked as shared (bike/walker/runner), a serious cyclist generally wouldn't ride on these. It doesn't bother me when I see people running in bike lanes, I simply check that its clear behind and give them a bit of room when I pass. People parking in them annoy me! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/hissyfit.gif
+1
Getting angry over a runner in the bike lane is the same a motorist getting angry at a cyclist riding on the road. This is a form of road rage.

Except the worse a biker can do to a car is scratch your paint.

The worse a car can do to a biker is to kill them.

Originally Posted by burtonator .

Except the worse a biker can do to a car is scratch your paint.

The worse a car can do to a biker is to kill them.
Im not talking about death or damage im talking about behavior. You as a cyclist dont want the runner in your lane is the same as a motorist not wanting you on their road.

It doesn't really bother me.

What does bother me is when some idiot cyclist (invariably one of the "anti-lycra" crowd) is riding his / her bike on the wrong side of the road and is coming right at me. I got knocked down once by someone doing this.

Originally Posted by Yojimbo_ .

What does bother me is when some idiot cyclist (invariably one of the "anti-lycra" crowd) is riding his / her bike on the wrong side of the road and is coming right at me. I got knocked down once by someone doing this.
We walk our dogs for an hour or so most mornings, I live near quite a large river with a decent network of walking/bike tracks. As someone who lives and breaths cycling, I get annoyed at the nuts who scream up behind us at 30kph+ no bell no warning. I can only imagine how the bike haters must feel when they're dangerously passed by these maniacs /img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif

A bit of respect and common sense goes a long way.

It doesn't bother me much at all either, quite a few of the tracks I use have both riders and walkers/joggers on them, you get use to it, and most people show alot of curtousy.

I personally don't like if I see someone walking in bike lane but if it is shared we can't do anything..

No problems for me, but as has been already mentioned...parked cars are a PITA. Especially those cars with the "Coexist" bumperstickers.

Originally Posted by steve .

Quote: Originally Posted by Yojimbo_ .

We walk our dogs for an hour or so most mornings, I live near quite a large river with a decent network of walking/bike tracks. As someone who lives and breaths cycling, I get annoyed at the nuts who scream up behind us at 30kph+ no bell no warning. I can only imagine how the bike haters must feel when they're dangerously passed by these maniacs /img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif

A bit of respect and common sense goes a long way.

Steve, just wondering, what country are you from?

In the US it's recommended that pedestrians walk opposite to the flow of vehicles (though a lot of people are unaware of this/disagree) because it's easier for them to move aside should the situation arise. Personally when I ride I prefer the pedestrians to be walking in the opposite direction so that we are both aware of each other's presence and that there are no unpleasant surprises.

Anyway, pedestrians have the right to the road just like we cyclists do, and we need to respect that right. The problem with bike lanes, however, is that when motorists see both a cyclist and a jogger meeting in a bike lane they tend to not give either any room and leave it to the cyclist and jogger to sort things out. That's one problem of bike lanes...motorists aren't as careful around the people that are in it, as if they have some sort of magical protective shield when really they should be paying as much attention as if there were no bike lane in the first place.

In the US it's recommended that pedestrians walk opposite to the flow of vehicles (though a lot of people are unaware of this/disagree) because it's easier for them to move aside should the situation arise. Personally when I ride I prefer the pedestrians to be walking in the opposite direction so that we are both aware of each other's presence and that there are no unpleasant surprises.

Anyway, pedestrians have the right to the road just like we cyclists do, and we need to respect that right. The problem with bike lanes, however, is that when motorists see both a cyclist and a jogger meeting in a bike lane they tend to not give either any room and leave it to the cyclist and jogger to sort things out. That's one problem of bike lanes...motorists aren't as careful around the people that are in it, as if they have some sort of magical protective shield when really they should be paying as much attention as if there were no bike lane in the first place.

I have to say that seriously I agree with this post but the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the question:
"What do you guys think of people who jog in bike lanes?[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]"[/COLOR]

was that they make good targets.

Reactions: MichaelVahlsing
I would really like to be able to answer this question but the town that I live in refuses to put in bike lanes. Hence, no bike lanes....no joggers in them. What gets my panties in a bunch, so to speak, is joggers who insist upon running in the traffic lanes of the roads instead of on the side walk. Is there some jogging magic that happens on the asphalt of the road that does not occur on the cement of the side walk? This has been a mystery to me since the first time I nearly hit one of these jogging chuckle heads wearing dark clothes at dusk. Maybe one of our dual discipline members can enlighten me as to why running in the road is a good idea.

Originally Posted by kdelong .

I would really like to be able to answer this question but the town that I live in refuses to put in bike lanes. Hence, no bike lanes....no joggers in them. What gets my panties in a bunch, so to speak, is joggers who insist upon running in the traffic lanes of the roads instead of on the side walk. Is there some jogging magic that happens on the asphalt of the road that does not occur on the cement of the side walk? This has been a mystery to me since the first time I nearly hit one of these jogging chuckle heads wearing dark clothes at dusk. Maybe one of our dual discipline members can enlighten me as to why running in the road is a good idea.
They don't want to break their mother's backs.

kdelong said:
Is there some jogging magic that happens on the asphalt of the road that does not occur on the cement of the side walk?
Actually yes. Believe it or not, concrete is much harder on your joints than asphalt.

Originally Posted by Jim Moore .

Quote: Originally Posted by kdelong .

Is there some jogging magic that happens on the asphalt of the road that does not occur on the cement of the side walk?

Actually yes. Believe it or not, concrete is much harder on your joints than asphalt.

[SIZE=10.0pt]This is correct. They have just as much right to run on the shoulder as bikes have to ride there. i personally find people who bike on the shoulder when there are specifically designed bike path's running parallel (basically looks like a sidewalk wide enough for a golf cart) to the road, don’t even get me started on critical mass rides....[/SIZE]

What do you guys think of people who bike on sidewalks?
I think it should be against the law/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Here it is not only legal, but recommended in heavy traffic areas. We have a
a "share the road" policy here. Ped's have the right of way on the side walks.
It is really not a problem in this area. I ride 50+ miles a day, 1/3 maybe side
walks, and I meet maybe two to six ped's a day at most.

I understand that in some areas the ped traffic is very heavy and bikes are
a problem.

Common sense and common courtesy are the primary rule.