What do you know about Orbea?

Ashley3

Feb 10, 2004
Everytime I've picked up a cycling magazine in the past several months Orbea has bought a big advertisement, often the high-priced back page. Obviously they're making a big push for market visability.
I've seen just a couple of their bikes and not yet ridden one, but I'm curious to hear opinions on their quality and attributes.

Ashley3 said:
Everytime I've picked up a cycling magazine in the past several months Orbea has bought a big advertisement, often the high-priced back page. Obviously they're making a big push for market visability.
I've seen just a couple of their bikes and not yet ridden one, but I'm curious to hear opinions on their quality and attributes.
I've looked at several on the road here, as well as new ones. The local Trek dealer picked up Orbea recently, and tells me they have great customer support. The ones I looked at were priced at $2800-$4800.

As always, recommend a shopper needs to test ride and compare with other bikes in that price range. Don't believe the ad-hype or what recent buyers will tell you. A $3000-$5000 Orbea is no doubt a great bike, but so is most everything else in that price range. Have fun making your selection.

dhk said:
I've looked at several on the road here, as well as new ones. The local Trek dealer picked up Orbea recently, and tells me they have great customer support. The ones I looked at were priced at $2800-$4800.

As always, recommend a shopper needs to test ride and compare with other bikes in that price range. Don't believe the ad-hype or what recent buyers will tell you. A $3000-$5000 Orbea is no doubt a great bike, but so is most everything else in that price range. Have fun making your selection.

Thanks. I'm intrigued by the lines of their new time trial bike, the Ordu. I haven't laid eyes on one other than pictures, and the LBS (which handles Orbea) seems to favor the Cervelo P3 over the Orbea. Just wondered what folks might know about the Orbea. They sure are spending a ton of money on advertising!

Ashley3 said:
Thanks. I'm intrigued by the lines of their new time trial bike, the Ordu. I haven't laid eyes on one other than pictures, and the LBS (which handles Orbea) seems to favor the Cervelo P3 over the Orbea. Just wondered what folks might know about the Orbea. They sure are spending a ton of money on advertising!

I have anew Orca and am very happy with theframe. it ids stiff but rides smooth. Graet climber, I have nothing but good thinks to say about it.

I have two Orbea frames, the Orca and the Lobular. I use the Orca for fast group rides. I take my Lobular with me when I travel. I love both of the frames. They feel very stiff when you stand on it, but they are also quick & responsive on long, fast descents.

Ashley3 said:
Here in Australia as well. One of the mags has an eight (if I remember correctly) page insert detailing all their bikes. maybe they've got a new owner or something. Nothing seems to be on their website, at least the English version.

Edit: Just did a search and found the following: can't vouch for reliability.

"Orbea is a cooperative where everyone who works there owns a piece of the company. The cooperative is under the 'umbrella' of one of the largest co-ops in the world (appliance manufacturer). Both are located in the Basque region of Spain. The 'company' has built schools/hospitals/clinics/day care for its employees, and (I assume) people of the region."

I am pretty impressed with the Orbea line and I think they are an excellent company. Seeing as that our team will ride Orbea's next year I couldn't be happier.

dhk said:

DHK, I bought the first Orbea from our local LBS. Dauphine in Euskaltel colors. The Orbea fit me better than the Trek 1500. Very nice ride. Love the Onix, just didn't think to drop that much on my very first road bike. (ok, fear of wife was the reason)

Orbea is a huge company that seems to be revamping their push into the U.S. market.

Ashley3 said:

I don't doubt that Orbea makes quality bikes. What I wonder is whether they will have to inflate the prices of the bikes to made back the costs of this huge marketing campaign.

This a bike company that has roots 100++ years in th bike building business. They are the best bikes I've ever ridden (I own 2). The best part of my buying experiance from Orbea is that they custom built my bike for me, including paint job. As said above, ride before you buy, because some people say that they are too stiff. For me, it's the best feeling bike I've ever ridden.

Orbea is a very old cycling company from Spain (1920's I believe). They just recently (within the last 5 years I believe) started selling in the US. They are trying to make a big push into the US market for obvious reasons.

I have an Orbea Starship (Euskaltel team frame from 2002) and it's unbelievable. I love the ride and it fits me better than any of my previous bikes have. They have great customer support as well and will build a bike to your liking. You aren't stuck with certain wheels or components based on the model of bike you buy. You can get an Opal frame with Shimano Ultegra and Ksyrium Elite wheels if you'd like.

The other thing about their frames is they are all hand painted. No stickers at all. The paint doesn't look super duper awesome on their carbon line of frames, but if you look at a Lobular or my Starship for instance, the hand paint job is really beautiful. Colnago does the whole hand painted frames as well.

I'll buy another Orbea before I buy anything else.

I have an Orbea Volata and LOVE IT. I have raced on It for a year and riden on it for a total of 2 years and would reccomend it to everybody. I am thinking about purchasing a Orca carbon and I will not be switching companies anytime soon