What do you lift, ladies!

velorapture said:
Right now I'm recovering from a bad ankle strain, sprain or what ever it is. I've been mostly on crutches since 1/20! My bike misses me and I can't wait to get out of the house. I also want to do some bicycle touring in the future so I have a Rivendell Atlantis. My everyday, pickup truck bike, is an old Bridgestone CBzip. I love both my bikes and wouldn't go back to owning a car unless it was absolutely necessary.
wow, very admirable about the car thing. i would love to do that myself but living in new jersey (the most densely populated state - cars EVERYWHERE and not very bike-friendly) aaaaaand the winter just gets too damn cold to tolerate.

how did you injure your ankle?

Equus123 said:
wow, very admirable about the car thing. i would love to do that myself but living in new jersey (the most densely populated state - cars EVERYWHERE and not very bike-friendly) aaaaaand the winter just gets too damn cold to tolerate.

Yeah I've dropped the car for commuting to work... now doing it by bike. Possibly a little more bike friendly here in Australia but still manage to come across a few nutters here and there.

Equus123 said:

Living in Santa Cruz, Ca. sure makes it easier to ride all year around. Snow and even ice are very rare unless you head up into the Santa Cruz, Mts. and even the it's still rare. I hurt my ankle jumping down from the back of a pickuptruck at work. I hadn't noticed the really uneven spot I happen to land on. My ankle rolled over and made a nasty crunching noise, nothing broken but seems pretty tore up.:eek: I am finally allowed to ride my bike on the flats and take it really easy so I happy about that.:)

Well, here's my fave exercises and the weight I use for them. I'm 24, 175cm, 60kgs, and a "recreational" triathlete (read: I enter a race once a year). My strength is running.

These are all max weights. Usually I work down from high reps and low weights to high weights and low reps, of 3-4 sets per exercise. Of course, I won't do all of these in one session. I tend to split upper and lower body to different days, with rest days where I do cardio stuff in between.

---Chest, shoulders, back---
Bench press: 32.5kgs
Military press (bar-bell): 17.5kg
Dumb-bell side raises: 6kg
Dumb-bell front raises: 5kg
Bar-bell press: 17.5kg
Dumb-bell rows: 12.5kg
Dumb-bell reverse flys: 6kg
Lat pull-downs: 25kg
Lat rows: 30kg

---Arms---
Tricep pushups: 17.5kg
Tricep kickbacks: 5kg
Tricep dips: -15kg (ie: my body weight minus 15kg)
Tricep pulldowns: 35kg
Bar-bell bicep curls: 20kg

---Back/core/other---
Roman situps: with 5kg weight plate held against my chest
Fitball ab curls: many many curls - ave of 150 in any single training session, split into sets of 30
Hanging ab curls: 30 - 45 per training session

---Legs---
Stationary lunges w/ bar-bell: 30kg
Squats: 47.5kg
Quad extensions: 25kg
Calf raises: 35kg
Lying leg rows: 30kg
45 degree leg-presses: 50kg

Equus123 said:
than you could say we're on the same team.
I'm rather liking this conversation... can i be on ur team too, lol :).

Man equus, u have a very nice body, i'm impressed. I've just started getting back into training after a rather long chrissy break so i'm working hard. Mainly working on the cardio fitness at the moment tho. Do you have any tips for young players on getting into weights a bit more. I mainly do a small weights program i was given for a shoulder injury i had this time last yr but dont know much else.

Help would b great...

Thanks, Tara

sweetasschiken said:
I'm rather liking this conversation... can i be on ur team too, lol :).

Man equus, u have a very nice body, i'm impressed. I've just started getting back into training after a rather long chrissy break so i'm working hard. Mainly working on the cardio fitness at the moment tho. Do you have any tips for young players on getting into weights a bit more. I mainly do a small weights program i was given for a shoulder injury i had this time last yr but dont know much else.

Help would b great...

Thanks, Tara
thank you very much for your complements :) for help with a weight training program, its really your call. what are your goals, what do you want out of it, how serious are you about it? not sure how new/old you are into cycling, but i def recommend The Cyclist's Training Bible. that basically explains the method behind the madness :p

Equus123 said:
thank you very much for your complements :) for help with a weight training program, its really your call. what are your goals, what do you want out of it, how serious are you about it? not sure how new/old you are into cycling, but i def recommend The Cyclist's Training Bible. that basically explains the method behind the madness :p
Will definitely check it out... Thanks

tues workout
squats 47.5kgx7 47.5x7 47.5x8 increasing to 50kg next week
leg press (horizontal)160kgx6 2 sets inc to 162.5 next week
leg extension(2 legs) 50kgx8
ham curls(seated) 48x6 3 sets
dead lifts 45kgx10 2 sets

thurs workout
bent over rows(barbell) 37.5kgx6 37.5x7 37.5x8 inc to 40kg next week
chin ups (machine)23kgx6 23x5 2 sets
one arm row 20kgx7
bicep curls ( barbell) 25kgx5 25x4 25x4 can usually manage 6 reps if i don't kill myself on chin ups and rows first
incline curls (d'bell) 8kgx4 8x5
my aim is to do 6 reps per set
when i can do that easily i increase the load
i change my workout every couple of months

Wow! Those are cool links. Thanks so much for providing them. I lift some weights at the gym mixed in with some cardio work. This will help me change my routines a bit every six weeks.

Cheers! :)

Equus123 said:
excellent :) i'm glad to be able to help.
Right, now this one is going to sound a tad weird. I've just started to work on my arms and legs in prep for a ride across france, but there's one thing that bugs the hell out of me! My breasts are just a tad too big for an athlete (darn buggers just won't get smaller). Ok, so they've dropped a bit, but what can i do to make them a little smaller? Sound insane?

Equus do you have an answer? I just feel a little odd asking my male trainer about my breasts! (I think you'll get where i'm coming from!):)

Thanks for all the info above, made a great read, except everything here in England is in bloody Kg's so i had to convert.

nahchillyo said:
Ok, so they've dropped a bit, but what can i do to make them a little smaller? Sound insane?
unfortunately, there's really nothing that you can do that will reduce the size of your breasts. yeah, you can do a lot of chest exercises (flat or incline bench, flys, etc) which will help tone the pectoral muscles but its not like "if you do the 'butt blaster' your ass will get smaller" kinda thing. you know? also, depending on how much body fat you have, you might be able to shrink them on a minute level if you lose some body fat (its a 100% false statement that you can loose fat in just one area like the whole belly fat craze). you lose fat off of your entire body when you lose fat.

so i wish there was something that i could tell you. unfortunately, i suffer from the same problem. im a 32C! they just won't go down!!! i hate it. ....very annoying to have breasts and be an athlete.

Thought as much! Sadly weight loss is not an option i'm 125lbs and i'd look a bloody stick with 34c tits if i lost much more! Not a good look!!!! I'll push on with the peck deck. Thanks for the response, good to know there's a well informed woman out there who's not afraid of the gym. There are some things us women just have to deal- can't complain I'd hate to be male!

Equus123, you seem to know an awful lot about weights/exercise. What can I do to increase the inside of my legs and not the outside so much? I use resistance weights at the gym, 2-3 times a week. Also, I have extremely tight hamstrings. Any suggestions on how I can get them to loosen other than the normal stretching?