What do you like about cycling?

quitchat

Nov 9, 2005
I'm just curious about what do you like about cycling?

I mean why did you choose cycling as your hobby for the first time?

I'm attracted by its sense of speed,being out doors and of course the cool gears.

So what about you?

1. The freedom to get away from everyone and everything and just be alone.

2. The ability to ride with other cyclists and challenge one another to get better.

3. Knowing that my skill is directly related to how dedicated I am

4. The feel of the wind, the sound of the drivetrain.

Cycling is selective, in that I mean unlike football,boxing and other contact sports I can choose who I wish to hit,as in a smart-a**ed teenager with a loud horn.
Yes, cycling gives me a choice, I like that.

Escaping the city.
Moving faster than cars under my own power.
Hearing tires singing on the tarmac.
Taking pride in my bike and making sure it's mechanically efficient.
And a lot more stuff that I can't seem to put into words...:D

quitchat said:

Reminds me of being a kid; cycling is a very innocent pleasure that i regret not re-discovering earlier in life.

Gives me more justification when I explain to my peers the need to keep BF% as low as possible .. though its slightly more the fact I cycle to stay lean not vica verca. But relating low BF% to a perceptible activity makes me sound just that little bit less anorexic :)

Gives me a machine i can obsess over tweaking and upgrading.. "it's a secret of the industrial age that people can really bond with machines". I dont regret a single penny spent on my bike. A beautiful bike is a lot cheaper than a beautiful Car...

Yup the sense of speed is there, especially when downhill :) even though it's slower than a car or motorbike; but the fact that speed is your reward for pushing yourself.. I love the agression of an out of saddle sprint.. that gives you a lot of 'release'.
"the value of something is what you've had to sacrifice to get it".

Being more self reliant for transport.. the thought that you're just that little bit less guilty for climate change & oil-dependancy than everyone else around you.

I rank the bicyle as one of mans greatest inventions.

1. I like that I am in complete control of how well I perform on the bike at any point in time. It's not that I don't like team sports, but in my work I am very dependant on other people. Sometimes I find it frustrating when people I relly on are underperforming and slowing down our work. Cycling is a great relief for this frustration.

2. I like the work out. Great cardio. Low impact on the knees. Great quad/ calf builder.

3. I like keeping my stats and breaking my records.

4. I love group rides and meeting poeple with the same interest as me.

5. Like the others, I like tweeking and tuning my own bike and having it shift and sail along smoothly.

6. This year, I want to race and kick some a$$! That should be a lot of fun!!

For me its the stress relief. No matter how bad a day I have had getting out on the bike always makes me feel better.

Also the number of times I have had a mental block in solving a problem, I have always found that going out on my bike clears the head and gives me the ability to solve the problem. Hell I have almost written complete assignments and reports in my head while out on the bike.

What I should do is bring the trainer in the office :D

Nothing is more calming then the sound of the wind passing your ears in which you hear nothing except for your hard breathing and the drivetrain. Now thats sweet.

Thats why I ride.

I love the feeling of solitude and silence. I almost always ride solo and I like the fact that I can go where I want to, when I want to. I can stop where and when I want to...bring my camera out of the house and just explore in a way that I never could from a car. The exercise doesn't hurt either. I just got my mountain bike assembled after many months and am looking forward to riding some rail and canal trails here in New Jersey.

Cheers,

Brian

Cycling is excellent cardio and I feel really good after a solid bike ride. I like the little bits of competition and anything out-of-saddle makes me feel Armstrong-esque :).

quitchat said:

I mean why did you choose cycling as your hobby for the first time?

I'm attracted by its sense of speed,being out doors and of course the cool gears.

So what about you?

what do i like about cycling? only one word comes to mind and that is FREEDOM, it started nearly 10 years ago i just wanted to get out the neighbourhood, bought a cheap bike but didnt realise how much i loved and dependent i was until my bike got stolen, loaned some money and bought one again 2 days later and thats where it really took off, cant believe the shear amount of distance that you can cover on a bike, nearly 10 years down the line a few more bikes and stuff later, i now race ,ive cycled most of western europe in including the full distance of the alps going from nice to vienna and last year doing a ride from paris to leeds in 3 days covering almost 600 miles and in one of those days doing my biggest distance in a day of 231 miles, if it sounds like im boasting then i can tell you im not, i just want to emphasise the efficiency of man and a bike, i wasnt the fittest guy when i left school, but i never imagined id ever do this, if it wasnt coz of cycling id be an overweight driver like most of my mates considering how much i eat anyway, so long as i can cycle i dont ever intend to drive, do my bit for the planet, discovering the contours of your surroundings is best done on a bike, makes you feel alive,human and 10 years younger, as i read once as the great man lance put it i can swear the bike is a mear extention of my arms and legs, wouldnt you cyclists agree to that???

1. Great way to keep fit

2. Independence. You are in total control

3. The muscle on the inside of the knee.

4. The thrill of cycling fast and knowing it is all because of you

5. No harm to the environment

6. The community spirit

Bicycling is a win-win-win-win-win situation.

Health: Great exercise and fresh air. I'm convinced that commuting in 10-20 deg F temps keeps the immune system strong. Staying inside, in dead air is what makes people sick.

Environment: Just too many topics to even mention.

Pocketbook: My family has one car for 4 licensed drivers. Like me, my daughter and son, ride almost exclusively.

National Economy: 42% of the US Trade deficit is from imported oil.

Role Model: People see you having fun on a bike, and they may follow suit.

My best rides have been when I have felt really powerfull and have been able to hold my own against cars. Do you ever stay awake at night thinking how good a ride was that day? I also love the fact that a road bike is actually quite a tricky thing to handle especially in the wet. Getting the most out of a tyre is quite a skill and very rewarding.

I like crashing into things.The ambulance ride,the sirens...the mental discipline involved in ignoring the pain until the drugs kick in,lying around in hospital surrounded by pretty nurses while drinking bottomless cups of tea,taking bets on the other patients' chances of survival....the benefits are endless.

And as soon as you heal you can do it all again! Excellent!

Its kind of like fishing. Just me, my equipment and being out there. It's a zen kind of thing :p

I feel like an 8 yr old on my bike when I am flying along.

I love the freedom of going where I want under my own power. I am feeling ambitious about touring to different places now that I have done some longer rides.

I love eating high calorie snacks because I actually need the calories! :)

Why: I don't know why I got into cycling. Like everyone I rode as a child, most of my friends stopped riding bikes when we got cars, but I still have always liked riding for fun. Lately, I've been riding more for fitness and transportation but it is still fun.

What I enjoy: going down hill fast. :) It is what makes the climbs worth it to me.
Being outside, not worrying about anything but the ride, and the sense of accomplishment at the end of the ride.