What do you like about cycling?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by quitchat, Feb 5, 2006.

1. EuanB

EuanB New Member

I love that it's not considered freakish to strike up a conversation with a complete stranger .... providing they're riding a bike :-D

Seriously I've had lots of nice chats with fellow cyclists on the way in to work. When's the last time you sat in a train and talked to the complete stranger sat next to you? Or the pedestrian going the same way as you? Don't know what it is about riding but cyclists want to talk to other cyclists :)

2. poweredbysweat

poweredbysweat New Member

>When's the last time you sat in a train and talked to the complete stranger sat next to you?

All the time. I think trains are very conducive to conversation, especially if you're in compartments facing one another. We travelled Italy, and met many very wonderful people on trains. In general, we had to initiate the conversation, but once you get them started, those crazy Italianos, wouldn't stop talking!

3. towfoofar

towfoofar New Member

I like the feel of the wind in my face, the sound of knobblies crunching dirt beneath me ... and, of course, that sweet buzz at the end ofthe ride! :p

4. mmamster

mmamster New Member

Speed, without powered assistance - I love skiing for the same reason.
    Fresh air.
    Solitude when I need it.
    Listening to music or the radio (even though I know that can be dangerous).

Exercise.

My bike as a machine - wonderful design, tinkering with it, buying new bits.
    Bike clothes!
    Watching the tour.
    The bike community.

5. snugent

snugent New Member

you know how after you go out for a really long ride and when you get home, you feel alright, not as tired as you should be? well i ride for the feeling that comes about 5 hours later when you pretty much can't walk. then i do it all over again the next day

6. Mariusroxana

Mariusroxana New Member

Walk 10 minutes, bored like hell. Worse after 10 minutes of driving.
    Never get bored on a bike, no matter after how many hours.
    Feeling of freedom.
    And I feel so powerful...

7. UNF_Chaz

UNF_Chaz New Member

- I like to cycle because it keeps me in shape, keeps me dedicated to something, it serves as a mental escape from all the bs I have to deal with, its fun, you can do it with other people (group rides), and you can do it competitively.

- I also ride because it keeps me from smoking, drinking, and I also make myself eat healthy as well.

- I got into the sport when I was 13... I have a older cousin who I thought was the coolest person in the world. He was 16 at the time and he would compete in MTB. I got a mountain bike first but then realized that it was easier and more convenient to just ride on the road, and thats when I made the switch.

- I also like to Cycle because of the sensation of speed and the adreaniline that it brings. I like to go fast and be able to upgrade things, and I do with this with my bike and my car as well. It keeps me busy and out of trouble.

8. parawolf

parawolf New Member

Catch a taxi and you get to speak to a complete stranger... or is that they talk at you? Never quite worked that out...

9. framism

framism New Member

1. Freedom
    2. Simplicity
    3. Economy

My bike is my transport. It's a lifestyle. I'm not against cars/buses/trains/tubes, but if I can ride, why not?

10. malbs04

malbs04 New Member

i ride because of the freedom, and because unlike in team sports where u have to reli on other people, there is no other person to blame because of riding bad or bonking. also because i love the pain pushing myself beyound my boundires and then when i complete it feel a sensation of satifaction. i live for cycling, cycling to live i suppose you could say, its all i know and its all i want to know i wouldnt have any thing different. Saturday i did 188km my reponse from my family and friends "mate you are a freak", the feeling when i got off the bike and relised i have ridden up 20% burgs in the last 10km of riding 188km solo, no one can take that away from me. i suppose you could say only a cyclist knows the feeling.

11. endurance222

endurance222 New Member

It is a better place to put my money than in a psyciatrist bill;) And keeps me in great shape

12. lehowe0

lehowe0 New Member

I would say that the thing I like the most is the sensation of floating. Being a lover of the outdoors, and feeling in a sense that I'm floating through the world is rewarding in a way that defies definition.

Another thing; The scenery is so much better from a bike than any other mode of transport. You travel at just the right speed to reflect on all that you see.

13. SBSpartan

SBSpartan New Member

Two things I just don't get after reading this thread.

1 - NOT one person said they bike because they think it is FUN. That is why I do it.
    2 - A few people put it up against team sports. Why? If you are being competitive about it then it is a team sport and it functions just as any team sport will. A bunch of guys working as individuals to achieve one goal. It really is no different than being on a soccer team or any other team.

14. framism

framism New Member

It's goes unsaid because it's an unspoken truth that goes without saying, SBSpartan. ;)

15. SBSpartan

SBSpartan New Member

Most of the posts I read here make me think otherwise.

16. framism

framism New Member

Those poor, poor people eh? Feel sorry for them. I know, for me at least, riding a bike is one of the funnest activities known to man. Second only to a root; but it sure lasts a lot longer.

17. Sarah23

Sarah23 New Member

The responses I read gave me the impression that everyone enjoys it tremendously...that is my definition of fun!

1. It is a family sport...men, women, old, young, fit, unfit. Everyone can join in and enjoy the ride together.

2. It is incredibly social activity, especially on group rides as you introduce yourself to the person beside you in the paceline. I love making so many friends.

3. It will keep me fit for life.

4. When I commute it is my little bit for the environment, plus when petrol prices go 'through the roof' and it becomes too expensive to drive, I will be fit enough to ride.

5. It is such an inexpensive sport.....:p Okay I am kidding on that score...Yes you could ride the same bike and wear the same pair of knicks for years, but I think most people upgrade bikes, buy new jerseys, lights, computers, fancy helmets, not to mention the cost of performance food!

I love the sport, getting involved is one of the most fulfilling things our family has done.

18. mstone

mstone New Member

Makes me feel like a kid again.
    More fun than mowing the grass.
    Tinkering with my bike.
    Freeeeeedommm!!!

19. Romis

Romis New Member

Firstly, I did it for fun in my childhood...
    After many years of being a typical sedentary person, I decided to buy a bike because of growing popularity of MTB riding,
    and I started to ride, take part in local competitions, cross-country racing.
    So, many advantages, most of all:
    1.Stopped smoking with ease, with what before had problems stopping..
    2.Feel much better, stopped drinking beer every night ;)
    3.Regular trainings, rides for fun, excellent hobby
    4.Outdoor feel-free feeling, fresh air, healthy time passed
    ...and many more small positive feelings I can`t count!!!
    f r e e d o m & f u n

20. Bikeridindude

Bikeridindude New Member

I like the big fat naps I take after a race.:D