What do you like about cycling?

1. The scenery. Riding along the sea while enjoying the waves and a beautiful sunset. Riding through great expanses of greenery. Looking down over the rest of Auckland and out towards the ocean on a beautiful day from Mt Victoria after slogging up the hills.

2. The stress relief and fun. A good cycling sessions always leaves me mentally refreshed, quite important as I'm always going from one assignment to the next. The feeling of rushing down a road is still as enjoyable as the first time I felt it.

3. Cheap transport. Since I started cycling 3 months ago, I've replaced 2/3rds of my car journeys with cycling journeys.

4. Exercise. More fun that a gym workout. Less repetitive than a gym workout. The only cardio activity that doesn't set off my asthma.

I love riding out on the back country roads and feeling the sun on my back, the wind whipping around, the smell of fresh air....and knowing that anything that has been bothering me will melt away the further I ride.

Short rides are fun and give me a little fix, but the long ones when you push yourself further than you thought you could go are the best. It becomes a competition with myself...that voice in my head saying " go faster, further, harder"...everything starts to kick in and the voice says "work a little harder - just pedal" and pretty soon everything else outside of the bike and the road I'm on is gone. It's pure magic.

Plus, with all that riding I can have all the margarita's my heart desires....

Everything
the road
my bike
the rain
the sun
other cyclists
this forum
and everything else in-between

Bicycling is just..perfect.

Its good for the Body

Its good for the Mind

Its good for the Environment

Its good for the Wallet

Its good for the Ride.

And I love the challenge...I love to tell people about how I did a 60 mile ride, and then just smile as they gawk at me. I like to go see new places and go further each time. I like to compete, and leave behind any other cyclists I see, especially those Roadies, dressed like lance on there 2 grand bikes...Er, ahem.. :p and I love the sense of speed, the feeling of going fast, under my own physical power.

I like the looks I get on my 79 Raliegh 3-speed with rod brakes

I like making a bike that is older than me work perfect

I like my '96 DBR that has no more original parts-which means that I too love upgrades

I love to ride my older bike across town and beat people that are in a car

I love ringing my bell

I like to see how much it takes to puke on any given ride-mostly on my mountain bike though

I LOVE NOT BUYING GAS!!!

I loved racing and have never learned to ride slow

I like the drink after the ride

Wow, where can I start?

Well obviously it does give you freedom, and it is extremely fun, but on with the more complicated stuff.

Cyclling for me is the only sport that A)It is you with yourself, and against yourself. This means that you spend those 3-5hours with yourself, and some people aren't comfortable with that, since they aren't comfortable with themselves. This aspect lets me incorperate a inner peace with myself. As corny as that sounds, it is the best way I can explain it, and it is definitely true.

Second B) cycling is the only real sport that you can blend your body with a machine. It is the only sport that both man and machine compliment each other, and both can help each other off the bike. You take care of the bike when not riding, and the bike gives you something to look foward to. It also lets us appreciate the technology that we achieved, and this being the first technology that compliments our body, instead of trying to make it better, or not to use it at all. And finally, cycling incorperates many of the academic life disciplines. That is why we see so many bright people cycling, and also the reason for why so many cyclists are also photographers, even in a hobby sense.

So cycling is pretty cool. Would love to try hang gliding too. But then again, that doesn't work your body out. ;)

i love:
getting ready for a ride, checking out my gear, clipping in and off i go
that whirring sound my bike makes on a quiet country road.
that lovely tailwind on my ride home from work along the river, maybe surprising a great blue heron in the marsh as it squawks off in flight.
waving a hand at other riders i meet
going uphill, getting to the top, and going down the other side...wheeeeee!
the look i get from people when they find out how much i ride
eating whatever i want
how i feel before, during and after a ride, in other words...
EVERYTHING!:D

Whats not to love about cycling!
icon14.gif

I commute 300+kms a week.
I feel healthy, fit, alive and I look good naked!!!
icon10.gif

I ride past the Swan River often. On a quiet morning I heard and then spotted four Dolphins cruising in waters easily 30km's from the ocean. As I rode on they continued in the same direction as me. Made my day/week/month. Great memory, hope to see them again.
icon11.gif

How many people see this from a car. Answer - NONE!

Thats just part of why I'm addicted to cycling!

Keep up the obsession good people.

Cheers, DB

index shifting
funky tan lines
getting into the groove on a climb
getting into a groove on a flat with a tailwind
getting lucky, on a windy day in Oklahoma, and getting a tailwind BOTH WAYS on a long ride by turning around during the frontal passage (this actually happened--it helps to be a pilot and know sommat about Wx)
quads sore for a good cause
heart rate going off the scale established for mere mortals

and a computer with both measuring systems so you can select km and kph

woah

;)

liking the simple things