What do you look for in a bike shop?

I have to agree with the biggest issue for me being the SMALL selection of women's specific items.
I'm currently in the market for new shoes and one of the very few shops near me has the ugliest pair of women's shoes... i mean, they are HIDEOUS and they only have ONE pair of womens! WTF is up with that?!?

Secondly is the sizing issue that a woman mentioned a little while back.
I'm 5'8" and about 150. I'm "average" but it seems like what little of womens products they do carry are an XS or S (or at least that's all thats left) :(

and lastly, (and agreed--once again) is the issue where if you need something done to your bike, I dont want treated like a "stupid woman" because I don't have the time to do it myself.

If I can drop my bike off on a Tuesday morning and pick it up Thursday after work to start my ride.. you bet your @$$ that's what I'm gonna do!

Why do something yourself when you can pay a pro?! LOL

shipkin89 said:
Hi all im new to this whole world of cycling!

I was wondering if anyone could give me tips on what type of bike to buy?

x
[lang=zh-CN]I too work in a bikeshop and found that having Women Specific Design, help alot, not just the PINK it and SHRINK it stuff. I attempt to engage each customer about where they ride and attempt to help them find new places and treat each person as a person, not just a form of income...Just be a people person and actually interacting with people, either men or women, if you treat the customers right they will be back and word of mouth...if you treat them as beneath you forget it unless you are the only shop around. As people get older they tend to go to places where service is prized over cheap price... I will pay more for something if I get treated decent.

[/lang]

64Paramount said:
Doesn't bother me a bit to have a woman give me information or advice. I have known some men that does bother though, I've even had some work for me over the years.

I've found most of the men who have a problem with women being in a technical position fall into 2 categories: They are either are old enough to be from the era when "a woman's place was in the home" and everything else was "men's work", and they just can't get past that. Or, they are still young enough to be unsure of themselves and a woman telling them something makes them feel inferior.

I'm sure there are different cultures in other countries where religious beliefs and local customs would also have an impact male and female roles, fortunately I haven't had to deal with that.

Doesn't bother me, either. Prior to meeting my wife 14 years ago, my attitude was to second-guess a woman, but after I started working on cars and she'd find me outside cussing and throwing tools, she'd give me a whole new perspective. Amazingly enough, I'm the one that's into cars and knows how to fix them, but for some reason she always finds easier ways of doing things; she's great at assessing a situation, and something that would take me an hour, she would take a look and say, "Gimme the wrench," and then it's done in 15 minutes. :eek:

Anyway, yes, a lot of men hate to be helped by women. I learned a long time ago that it's a stank attitude to have, and don't promote it. Unfortunately, cycling seems to be "full of testosterone," just like the automotive hobby.

As mentioned, I don't know what it is, but men normally just don't take women seriously when it comes to advice. Men act, then think. We force things. Women assess situations, and then methodically get things completed. I think it's just a matter of intimidation on some levels.

I think a lot of this "trust a man" stuff is something society has fabricated over years, and it just looms. We grow up with that mentality, and we don't even realize it; the whole, "Men take care of everything" mentality.

mellow_emily said:
So what is it exactly that you ladies look for in a bike shop? Is it helpfulness of employees, selection of womens specific items, the overall look and feel of the shop, or something else completely random?

first and foremost--knowledge--that employees at the bike shop know what they're talking about, and are there because they love bikes. I like to see a fair amount of women's stuff, though I care more about quality. I expect, or hope, to see a dedicated rack to women's shorts and jerseys, as well as women specific gloves, seat/saddles and shoes. As far as the look of the store, I like smallish shops filled with bikes and bike stuff--that simple!