What do you miss least.

Roger Thorpe

Guest
I was just thinking about how some aspects of cycling had got much better these days. Here are a few
of the things that I just can't understand how we tolerated.

1. Woollen shorts that itched and gave me a spectacular rash. Just imagine what they were
like when wet.

2. shoeplates that you had to nail onto your sole, with nails that often managed to poke through
into your feet but still didn't manage to hold the plates on.

3. Articulated trucks that didn't have underriders along the side.

Of what were you glad to be rid? Roger
--
Roger Thorpe

My email address is spamtrapped. You can work it out!

"Roger Thorpe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I was just thinking about how some aspects of cycling had got much better these days. Here are a
> few of the things that I just can't understand how we
tolerated.

> 1. Woollen shorts that itched and gave me a spectacular rash. Just imagine what they were like
> when wet.
>
> 2. shoeplates that you had to nail onto your sole, with nails that often managed to poke through
> into your feet but still didn't manage to hold the plates on.
>
> 3. Articulated trucks that didn't have underriders along the side.
>
> Of what were you glad to be rid?

Definately cotter pins, oh and toeclips and those rusteasy Eveready lights.

Pete

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 15:42:59 +0000 (UTC), "Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Of what were you glad to be rid?

>Definately cotter pins,

Oh yes indeedy. And chromed steel mudguards. And pathetic lights. And stamped-out sidepull brakes on
steel rims.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

"Roger Thorpe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I was just thinking about how some aspects of cycling had got much better these days. Here are a
> few of the things that I just can't understand how we
tolerated.

> 1. Woollen shorts that itched and gave me a spectacular rash. Just imagine what they were like
> when wet.
>
> 2. shoeplates that you had to nail onto your sole, with nails that often managed to poke through
> into your feet but still didn't manage to hold the plates on.
>
> 3. Articulated trucks that didn't have underriders along the side.
>
> Of what were you glad to be rid? Roger
> --
> Roger Thorpe
>
> My email address is spamtrapped. You can work it out!

I hated the brown rubber grips on old style brake levers. The sort that Durex must have made that
disintegrated during the winter.

Can I mention a bike? The Raleigh RSW. It seemed to be made of neutron star matter as it couldn't be
lifted, or pedalled for that matter.

"Roger Thorpe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I was just thinking about how some aspects of cycling had got much better these days. Here are a
> few of the things that I just can't understand how we
tolerated.

> 1. Woollen shorts that itched and gave me a spectacular rash. Just imagine what they were like
> when wet.
>
> 2. shoeplates that you had to nail onto your sole, with nails that often managed to poke through
> into your feet but still didn't manage to hold the plates on.
>
> 3. Articulated trucks that didn't have underriders along the side.
>
> Of what were you glad to be rid? Roger
> --
Gear shifters that required taking hands off the handlebars. 1 gear bikes, 3 gear bikes, 5 gear
bikes, 10 gear bikes - although I could probably get by with the right 5.

Roger Thorpe wrote:
> I was just thinking about how some aspects of cycling had got much better these days.

> Of what were you glad to be rid?

Having to sit with my weight spread between a wee traingle of plastic or leather and some handlebars
in an uncomfortable crouch for hours at a time. Of course, most people cycling long distances still
do that...

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

> Roger Thorpe wrote:
> > I was just thinking about how some aspects of cycling had got much better these days.
>
> > Of what were you glad to be rid?
>
> Having to sit with my weight spread between a wee traingle of plastic or leather and some
> handlebars in an uncomfortable crouch for hours at a time. Of course, most people cycling long
> distances still do that...

But then some of us don't find it uncomfortable and actually enjoy it
:)

Colin

"Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:b20lf2$1p7
> Can I mention a bike? The Raleigh RSW. It seemed to be made of neutron star matter as it couldn't
> be lifted, or pedalled for that matter.

You heathen! My first bike was a blue RSW 14 inherited from my brother. I loved it.

We eventually converted it into a static bike.

> "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:b20lf2$1p7
> > Can I mention a bike? The Raleigh RSW. It seemed to be made of neutron star matter as it
> > couldn't be lifted, or pedalled for that matter.
> >
> You heathen! My first bike was a blue RSW 14 inherited from my brother. I loved it.
>
> We eventually converted it into a static bike.

Talking of static bikes did anyone else catch that quite disturbing image of Adam Hart Davis naked
on the Velocipede Shower on TV last night some time?

Colin

>Having to sit with my weight spread between a wee traingle of plastic or leather and some
>handlebars in an uncomfortable crouch for hours at a time. Of course, most people cycling long
>distances still do that...

And many find it strangely enjoyable ...

Cheers, helen s :)

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

> >Having to sit with my weight spread between a wee traingle of plastic or leather and some
> >handlebars in an uncomfortable crouch for hours at a time. Of course, most people cycling long
> >distances still do that...
>
> And many find it strangely enjoyable ...

And their souls remain in tact :)

> > Having to sit with my weight spread between a wee traingle of plastic or leather and some
> > handlebars in an uncomfortable crouch for hours at a time. Of course, most people cycling long
> > distances still do that...
>
> But then some of us don't find it uncomfortable and actually enjoy it
> :)

Snag is, once you've tried a bent, and felt just how comfy it is, nothing else quite feels the
same again...

Ho hum. Anyone know any unnattached millionairesses?

> >Definately cotter pins,
>
> Oh yes indeedy. And chromed steel mudguards. And pathetic lights. And stamped-out sidepull brakes
> on steel rims.

Oh. Oh dear. Ummm.

Well my Indian bike has cotters (the left one will not fit properly in the best traditions of such
things), very cheap, near ineffective brakes (stamped metal, sort of side pull) and steel rims.

Plus it is made of neutron star dust to make it heavier.

And I love it -- for the memories if not for its wonderful performance -- though it is a VERY
comfortable bike to ride -- hard work up the hills though :(

Roger Thorpe deftly scribbled:
> I was just thinking about how some aspects of cycling had got much better these days. Here are a
> few of the things that I just can't understand how we tolerated.
>
> 1. Woollen shorts that itched and gave me a spectacular rash. Just imagine what they were like
> when wet.
>
> 2. shoeplates that you had to nail onto your sole, with nails that often managed to poke through
> into your feet but still didn't manage to hold the plates on.
>
> 3. Articulated trucks that didn't have underriders along the side.
>
> Of what were you glad to be rid? Roger

Yellow plastic capes and sou' westers .. ;)

Tyres that lasted generations, but had no grip whatsoever if it even looked like raining .. and
brake blocks made of a similar compound, that refused to slow ( not too surprising I suppose ) a
40lb bike in anything cooler than Death Valley temperatures. ;)

--
...................................Paul-*** Seti 1399 wu in 10037 hours
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Peter B wrote:

> Definately cotter pins, oh and toeclips and those rusteasy Eveready lights.
>
> Pete

Lights? oh yes. I seem to remember that Wonder lights seemed to be such a massive improvement. I
wouldn't touch them now. Batteries that would pack up unpredictably and were stocked only by
bike shops and the kind of wireless repair shop that also stocked valves and round pin plugs.
Pathetic beam too.

--

Peter Clinch wrote:
> Having to sit with my weight spread between a wee traingle of plastic or leather and some
> handlebars in an uncomfortable crouch for hours at a time. Of course, most people cycling long
> distances still do that...

Damn, beat me to it.

Thomas Paine

Colin Blackburn wrote:
:: Talking of static bikes did anyone else catch that quite disturbing image of Adam Hart Davis
:: naked on the Velocipede Shower on TV last night some time?
::

Yeah, I saw it. One for the spinners among us - shower and cycle at the same time, quite funny
really. Seemed like a lot of water was going on the floor - perhaps that was why it never caught on
;-). As for Adam Hart Davis.. disgusting!

Rich

On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 15:20:03 +0000, Roger Thorpe <[email protected]> wrote:

>I was just thinking about how some aspects of cycling had got much better these days. Here are a
>few of the things that I just can't understand how we tolerated.
>
>1. Woollen shorts that itched and gave me a spectacular rash. Just imagine what they were like
> when wet.
>
>2. shoeplates that you had to nail onto your sole, with nails that often managed to poke through
> into your feet but still didn't manage to hold the plates on.
>
>3. Articulated trucks that didn't have underriders along the side.
>
>Of what were you glad to be rid? Roger

Those Puma shoes from the 70's with the white plastic soles and the "adjustable" shoe plates. Once
you wore out the rubber adhesion strips on the heels they were lethal to walk in. But they were the
height of fashion so you had to have them - especially when teamed with a sponsored head band and
sweat bands for your wrists.

Cheers! Stephen

Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Having to sit with my weight spread between a wee traingle of plastic or leather and some
> > handlebars in an uncomfortable crouch for hours at a time. Of course, most people cycling long
> > distances still do that...
>
> But then some of us don't find it uncomfortable and actually enjoy it
> :)

That's true, they are called cyclists.

Paul - *** <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Roger Thorpe deftly scribbled:
> > I was just thinking about how some aspects of cycling had got much better these days. Here are a
> > few of the things that I just can't understand how we tolerated.
> >
> > 1. Woollen shorts that itched and gave me a spectacular rash. Just imagine what they were like
> > when wet.
> >
> > 2. shoeplates that you had to nail onto your sole, with nails that often managed to poke through
> > into your feet but still didn't manage to hold the plates on.
> >
> > 3. Articulated trucks that didn't have underriders along the side.
> >
> > Of what were you glad to be rid? Roger

how about pushrod brakes