What do you think about the Trek1500 or Trek2000

dmskin

Jul 19, 2004
Last year I got into road cycling. Getting a cheap €400 Decathlon bike.

Now, since I really love cycling. I want to step up to something more creditable. So been thinking about a Trek 1500.

Also at the local bike shop they have a Trek 2000 (ex demo) on sale for the same price as the 1500.

So what do people thing of the 1500/2000 (or can they suggest similar bike).

Thanks

dmskin said:

Now, since I really love cycling. I want to step up to something more creditable. So been thinking about a Trek 1500.

Also at the local bike shop they have a Trek 2000 (ex demo) on sale for the same price as the 1500.

Thanks
I have a 2003 model 2000. 105 components. Great bike.

I have the 2004 trek 1500. no complaints, just need to upgrade the tires sooner rather than later.

dmskin said:

Thanks

dmskin said:

Thanks
A buddy of mine who is all of 140 lbs cracked both of those frames. I must say Trek did stand by the warranty though...

dmskin said:

Thanks

I have a 2005 1500 and i love it :) , with the exception of the wheels :mad: .

the main diffrence between the 1500 and the 2000 is the addition of a carbon seat stay on the 2000; and it will cost you an extra $600. For this you get a slightly lighter bike, the ride feel will be pretty much the same.

My recomendation is get the 1500 and save the extra for a wheel upgrade.

jcjordan said:
I have a 2005 1500 and i love it :) , with the exception of the wheels :mad: .

the main diffrence between the 1500 and the 2000 is the addition of a carbon seat stay on the 2000; and it will cost you an extra $600. For this you get a slightly lighter bike, the ride feel will be pretty much the same.

My recomendation is get the 1500 and save the extra for a wheel upgrade.

Thanks for the advice. So what wheels would you recommend then?

dmskin said:
Thanks for the advice. So what wheels would you recommend then?
I am currently having build a set of DT Swiss R1.2, 28 spoke with ultegra hubs. alot of the guys in the club swear by the R1.1's, the 1.2's are the same but more areo

Have mine (2004 1500 full 9-speed Ultegra model) for almost 2 years without further problems, although I do not use it as much as I would like.

Never let me down at the triathlon races I´ve done and seems to handle well the not-so-very-well paved roads of the city (which are almost a nightmare to handle). My biggest concert was the wheels not being durable, but they seem to be true until now.

My wishes would be just a lighter wheel (pehaps when I really start to have more than 20 Mph averages at the races) and the seat (which I changed, but still waiting to buy a lighter one).

For you, depends on what will it be your goal. For weekend rides, it is more than enough. If you do not plan to be a pro, it is also great. No need to upgrade to a 2000 if you don´t have cash to do it.

On the other hand, if you don´t feel guilty to buy a more expensive one or if you really want to be more than a cat-5 racer, go for the 2000.

PeterF said:
A buddy of mine who is all of 140 lbs cracked both of those frames. I must say Trek did stand by the warranty though...
I have a Trek 1000 that supports my 190 pound body with no trouble at all.