What do you think is the biggest gimmick in bike equipment?

has anyone mentioned those new shimano gears that need batteries.... electric gear for the man how has far too many dollars and not to many cents...

Shimano Electronic Intelligent System, now that is what I call a gimmick.

Adam-from-SLO said:
Thank you for the lesson on the centripital!
I'll be taking my first Physics class next year!

Good luck with Physics. I think it's a blast.

Don't Ti. bolts last longer though, vs. a alloy bolt (amount of times you screw, then unscrew the bolt in/out) ?

You're right about that.

I agree, $300+ dollar cycling shoes is a big chunk of money(about 1/2 or more the money you can spend on a good/decent frame!!!). If you check ebay frequently, a barely used pair of 2-5 yr. old Sidi's can be had for under $100.

Ah but feet/shoes are one of those special things like saddles and chamois. If a $300-400 shoe is the one that gives comfort, then that's the right shoe. Besides, you can just about wear 'em forever.

curby said:
did anyone mention insulated water bottles? surely not the latest gimmick but...

I have a couple of those called "Polar Bottles". They work very well.

I don't use 'em, but a lot o' people here in the desert use 'em. I think the desert is a gimmick.

Crankyfeet said:
What do you think is the most over-hyped, excess costing, part of a bike that really doesn't give you much benefit?

Internet cycling forums.

Suspension forks on city/commuting/"lifestyle" bikes. The rare times I ever actually pass anyone on the way to work, he/she is always riding a bike with a suspension fork.

insulating bottles preventing drinks from freezing up, good idea! but wouldnt antifreeze work just as well? ;P

how cold is the drink in an insulated bottle after 3hrs in the sun? would you consider it a cold drink? or just not so warm? i have never needed my drink to be cold when cycling... surprised to hear of this need. ya learn something new every day eh? ;-)

im with you on insulated bottles. that and the ones that have the tube that goes down the middle to freeze. sounds great on paper, doesnt really work

Ceramic bearings are my all time favorite gimmick, though. They are used for high rpm applications...like thousands of rpm's. nothing you will ever reach on a bike, even if your bike has a corvette engine somehow integrated into the drivetrain haha.

CF parts are right up there with ceramics for me. you take a product that in raw form costs less than aluminum, shape it into a bike, and charge 10g for it. I love the guys that "just dropped 100grams from their bike by spending 300 on cf parts.

531Aussie said:
Carbon saddle rails

So long, Alliante :(

......and titanium rails, for that matter. John Kennedy busted his ti rails, but I suppose he is a big dude.

Just what you need: you're out the front of the pack, about to win the biggest race of your life, then your saddle rails bust! At least you cut 90g off the weight of the bike :rolleyes:

I'd say for the most part Selle Italia Ti rails are solid(never heard of one busting), plus Ti gives some shock absorption value. I had a SDG comp saddle w/Ti rails bust on me(back in 1999), but they weren't quality rails(durable saddles otherwise).
Yes, Hollow steel(stainless if possible) is the best overall.

Peter@vecchios said:
What's really dumb is a 53/39 and 11-23, what we see on many bikesouttaboxes. What is the product guy thinkin'??

Hey, those are my favorite gear ratios :D
Also ride a 54/42, with 12-23 cassette.

I suppose those are not "normal" gearing ratios for most people.

Flyeater said:
People who have ultra light bikes but ultra heavy bodies.:(

remember 1hg on a bike is like 1kg body weight...

so an ultralight bike (9kg) on a 90kg bloke is the same as a 11kg bike for a 70kg wimp...
:D

/E

The art-factor. Art is something you desire and pay for and it is indeed beautiful.

The biggest gimmick is selling art as a functional need.

I confess to not having read through all 16 pages, so hopefully this is not a dupe...

All the comments about ceramic bearings reminded me of seeing a little blurb in Bicycling Magazine a couple of years ago, about ceramic-bearing derailleur pulleys. Yes, the two little pulleys (with half teeth) in every rear derailleur. These ceramic-bearing versions were supposed to reduce drag ever so slightly, and at only $160 or so a set, who wouldn't want them???

cutecub00 said:
Maybe not a gimmick, but an ultralight stem seems like something want to stay away from. That would really suck to have your handlebars detach on a fast decent.
carbon stems are a gimmick.
as are carbon bottle cages,
But if you like them then go for it, its your money.
The only carbon you'll find on my bike are my easton forks and time pedals which are an excellent use of carbon fibre.
But the biggest gimmick of all is the 11 speed cassette. It has no real function when 9 speed is sufficient.

migelon said:
carbon stems are a gimmick.
as are carbon bottle cages,
But if you like them then go for it, its your money.
The only carbon you'll find on my bike are my easton forks and time pedals which are an excellent use of carbon fibre.
But the biggest gimmick of all is the 11 speed cassette. It has no real function when 9 speed is sufficient.

8s was 'sufficient' as well. 9s is overkill. I have a very useful 7s FREEWHEEL. Very sufficient for my riding. C'mon, there are cars that now have 7s transmissions!!!

Ceramic bearings, specially the crank ones, maybe the hubs will be a little more useful and all small carbon or titanium pieces!

I forgot to add this one, since it is a new standardization in the road cycling industry:

1 1/8" headtubes on frames.

I get the reason why the industry went that way; however for the folks out there with perfectly good frames it can be a pain to then find a good 1" fork(carbon, etc). It seems as though the only carbon fork makers currently making 1" is Reynolds... and I think Eason EC90 makes one. To find new is tough; so the only other option is ebay. I'm surprised another carbon fork maker hasn't stepped up to the plate to produce a nice 1" carbon fork(LOOK, etc). There definitly is a market to be had there!

1" headtubes/ forks were perfectly fine for over 100 years of hard road cycling.:confused: