What do you think is the biggest gimmick in bike equipment?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Crankyfeet, Aug 3, 2007.

1. WIGGUM1

WIGGUM1 New Member

2. rudycyclist

rudycyclist New Member

I think CF cranks really aren't worth the money. Even though they aren't really that expensive, I believe an alloy one does just fine. I'm still on a Campy Chorus alloy one and it is stiff enough for me. I'm mainly a crit rider so I do lots of hard accelerations and I really feel like a CF crank would make no difference. The only difference it makes is being lighter probably. I have ridden some CF cranks and it just seems like an alloy does the job just fine.

3. mitosis

mitosis New Member

They should sell them along with another anecdotally aerodynamic device, the aerofoil shaped seatpost.

ps. I think i've invented a new tongue twister.

4. Rocket^

Rocket^ New Member

Take an aluminum handlebar with regular bar ends and drop it on the floor. I recommend a set of handlebars that are no longer in use. Then install the buzzkills and drop it again. Compare the difference in sound and length of time vibrations occur and decide for yourself. I'm not a scientist, but this expirement was done for me and it seemed pretty conclusive.

5. typ993

typ993 New Member

I can notice the difference in vibration on the same stretch of road with and without them.

6. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

This is a bogus experiment. It applies in no way to a real bike/rider system:
    1. A falling handlebar has more degrees of freedom than a handlebar connected to a bike/rider system.
    2. The falling handlebar is not coupled to the bike/rider system; therefore it is not coupled to the damping of the rest of the system, the harmonics of the rest of the system.
    3. The load on the falling handlebar is nothing like the loads on a real handlebar.
    Such an "experiment" is a slick way to sell something to someone.

7. FreeHueco

FreeHueco New Member

Perhaps if the rider is barely holding on to the handlebar and the stem is not clamped to the bar properly? ;)

8. Bob Ross

Bob Ross New Member

...and the stem & brake cables spontaneously self-destruct, causing the handlebars sans bike or rider to topple to the ground. Yes, in that case it would be representative.

9. alienator

Exactly.....as long as the cables, brifters, and tape detach and nothing else lands on the handlebars.

Another good use for this experiment is to show how stupid a given shop employee or manufacturer rep is.

10. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I agree 100%.

The entire hype around Carbon-this and Carbon-that, has been a pretty poor gimmick in my estimation.
    Magnesium frames come a close second.

I only ride aluminium frames.

11. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. A smart salesman can create a need where none existed previously. If a useless experiment helps "create" the need, then so be it. It may not be honest, but it isn't illegal and the salesman gets to eat that night. Sleeping is another story.

12. Fat Otter

Fat Otter New Member

Hi, I'm Andrew and I own Cyclespeed (we sell the carbon bolts, among other things). I couldnt resist posting (Hi everyone!) because of the rather large number of hits my website has had in the past few days - as a result of discusson on this forum. No, I didnt put the carbon bolt post up. :confused:

The carbon bolts are something I sourced for fun. They are something different and generate a bit of discussion. I dont expect to sell any (and if anyone really wants some then send me an e-mail and I'll sort out a better price for you). The gamma ray information is accurate, its also me having a bit of a laugh. :D The C bolts are designed to go into your next hip replacement (made for medical use) which is why their spec sheet had info about gamma rays.

The carbon bolts do look quite flash when combined with carbon bottle cages on a naked carbon frame. Besides, without a bit of innovation we'd still be riding around on pennyfarthings, not that there's anything wrong with that...

13. LeDomestique

LeDomestique New Member

Good points Andrew. We sometimes forget that our consumerism funds research for new (and sometimes useful) stuff. Welcome to the boards.

And...we also like to have a bit of a laugh every now and then.

cheers

14. Rocket^

Rocket^ New Member

So what your saying is it will dampen out vibrations during this example but once it is connected to the bike it won't have any dampning qualities. Or are you saying that handlebars don't transmit any vibration due to the bike, tape, cables, hoods etc.

15. mitosis

mitosis New Member

The shifters, speedo, tape, plugs, clamp and any other mass attached to the handlebars will dampen vibration themselves. Try dropping your handlebars on the ground with and without those thing attached if you want to carry out an experiment.

Now give me my quiet, smooth, stiff (yet compliant carbon bike) and I'm off for a ride.

16. alienator

That is true. I guess by stupid, I was suggesting the salesman had no idea that the demonstration was a bag of kack.

17. alienator

+1. I'm saying the demonstration shows you nothing about how Buzz Kills might actually work on the road on a ride.

18. Akadat

Akadat New Member

19. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

I also agree. I'm surprised by hype surrounding carbon.

Unless someone actually needs an 850g frame to race up long mountains, I don't see the point spending over $2000 on a frame that could break if I bump it on a fence post. If 'good' carbon was around the price of alu, I might give it a try, but (for eg) stuff like Time VXRS frames sell down here for $7,000, a bit less for the LOOK 595, and about $5,500 for the top BMC frame.

Good thing for us is that because everyone seems to think they have to carbon, alu frames have dropped heaps in price. There are lots of sales around here on N.O.S. alu frames.

20. JohnO

JohnO New Member

You don't need a Lotus Elise, either, but I'd sure love to have one.

I ride an older carbon frame because I got a good deal on it. Put on a Chorus group, when Veloce or even 105 would have been sufficient, because I love the way it looks and works. Don't need it. But I sure like it.

The only overpriced gimmick is the cycle that gets purchased and then never ridden. Unless, of course, it's a Pinarello and the non riding owner sells it to me cheap.