What do you think is the biggest gimmick in bike equipment?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Crankyfeet, Aug 3, 2007.

1. roshea

roshea Well-Known Member

2. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

Carbon saddle rails

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=328673&highlight=alliante

......and titanium rails, for that matter. John Kennedy busted his ti rails, but I suppose he is a big dude.

Just what you need: you're out the front of the pack, about to win the biggest race of your life, then your saddle rails bust! At least you cut 90g off the weight of the bike :rolleyes:

3. JohnO

JohnO New Member

They turn up on ebay from time to time. Magnificently finished, just like the rest of their equipment.

A bit pricey, but a few grams shaved off means you can open the wine bottle that much quicker.

4. tfstrum

tfstrum New Member

280.00 jerseys. The people at ASSos have some nerve. People that buy them have no brains

5. JohnO

JohnO New Member

I've always wanted to get a cycling jersey printed up.

Yellow, and it says on the front: "I won the TDF and all I got was this lousy jersey"

6. Frigo's Luggage

Frigo's Luggage New Member

A Cervelo frame (or the frame du jour). I'm sure Cervelo makes great frames and I don't mean to critisize them. Its just from my perspective people get all gooey eyed over the latest bike advertisements and the bikes ridden by their favorite teams and go out and buy the bike. However, even if a bike is good doesn't mean it is good for the buyer. The bike that Cancelera rides at Roubaix probably doesn't make sense for the guy doing metric centuries. The Madone doesn't make sense for the guy doing crits, etc.

7. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Oooooooo! Ooooooo! Mr. Kotter, I know another great bicycle gimmick: cyclists that think they know what's best for other cyclists or think they know what will work for other cycllists.

8. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

Wow, Horshack with an engineering degree. Never even imagined that one!

9. alienator

How insulting! I'm a scientist, thank you.:D

10. 531Aussie

11. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

Oh...ok. Vinnie Barbarino then.

"I'm soooooo con-fuuuuuuused"

12. alienator

Yeah, you're right: you do have that whole Barbarino, dull witted vibe going on.

13. rudycyclist

rudycyclist New Member

How does the Madone not make sense for guys doing crits? 90% of my races are crits and I love the Madone for crits. It accelerates like a son of a bitch and is light. You don't need a really aero frame like some of the Cervelos for crits.

14. alienator

It doesn't make sense because Frigo's Luggage doesn't like it and doesn't understand that what makes sense is actually a function of what a given rider feels most comfortable on in a given race discipline or riding environment. Of course, he's not alone in that. The Steel Is Real distards miss that point do.

15. CAMPYBOB

Up your nose with a rubber hose!

For a "scientist" you sure are fast to run your mouth. Let's see you type a couple of "cupcakes" for your next trick.

You're a moron.

16. alienator

Coming from you, I'll take that as a complement.

17. CAMPYBOB

Yeah. What with you being a genius "scientist" and all that crap, you might even take it as a compliment.

Main Entry: 1com·pli·ment [​IMG]
    Pronunciation: 'käm-pl&-m&nt
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle French, from Italian complimento, from Spanish cumplimiento, from cumplir to be courteous -- more at [size=-1]COMPLY[/size]
    1 a : an expression of esteem, respect, affection, or admiration; especially : an admiring remark b : formal and respectful recognition : [size=-1]HONOR[/size]
    2 plural : best wishes : [size=-1]REGARDS[/size] <accept my compliments> <compliments of the season>

The grammer lesson was free.

I do charge a reasonable fee if you'ld care to buy a brain or a personality.

No, I won't take your crappy little Subaru in trade.

18. alienator

Dang! You got me on the typing error. Clearly, that shows your level of genius....and how pathetic your life is that you get a stiffie when you ID a spelling error. What great intellectual feats you have achieved!
    :D

It's flattering that you're so emotionally invested in me that you remember what car we have. Really. Oh, and the car quip was really a genius riposte. It really displayed your critical thought "skills."

19. CAMPYBOB

You're welcome.

Consider your dumbass owned.

If "emotionally invested" is laughing at the thought of a forty-something moron still running around in a soob, I guess it's time you saw your analyst more frequently.

Speaking of gimmicks...a subaru? For god's sake, man! I wouldn't let my son drive one of those tinny little econoboxes to a high school prom let alone be seen in one at a meeting of the pencil-necked geeks of academia. Don't worry, when you graduate and get a real job, you'll be able to afford a real car.

PM me your address. I'll send you out a free year's supply of pocket protectors with the Tribeca logo. Snazzy styling job, that Tribeca, huh?

20. 531Aussie