What do you think is the biggest gimmick in bike equipment?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Crankyfeet, Aug 3, 2007.

1. WIGGUM1

WIGGUM1 New Member

[​IMG]my thoughts exactly

2. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Owned?

Wow. All this for a car? Is there an age limit on certain cars?

Did you run out of Aricept?

3. nerdag

nerdag New Member

I believe it's grammAr.

n

4. Akadat

Akadat New Member

;) "A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends."
    --Balthasar Gracian

5. BikingBrian

BikingBrian New Member

Sorry, but as someone who has done work for the World Rally Championships, I couldn't let this go without saying something.....The Subaru WRX model line has won how many World Rally Championships??? Peter Solberg seems to like his Subaru just fine.
    And it does 0-60 mph in 4.7 seconds (STREET-legal version).....not bad for an econobox :rolleyes:

6. alienator

See? That's why CampyBob is such a useful tool.
    :D

7. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

Holy freakin God this is great.

picking on minor grammatical or spelling errors is very petty though.

I wouldn't class a Subaru as an econobox. I'd quite like a WRX or Forester GT as a functional yet fast car. I'd rather drive something like that than a V* whatever. But then again, some people need to compensate when they are lacking in other areas (in this instance mental, if your mind instantly wandered to other possible areas, shame on you ;)) by purchasing an unnecessarily powerful, innefficient car with obscene aftermarket and service prices, further adding to the already critical global warming issue. But apparently that is a 'real' car.

And Alienator, 'owned' is a term from the 'internet speak' dictionary. It roughly translates to beaten. This particular dialect originated from groups of 'computer enthusiasts' playing games such as counter strike and world of warcrap.

8. Akadat

Akadat New Member

See? That's why CampyBob is such a useful tool.

Witty! best laugh I've had all week.

No offence CampyBob, keep em coming.

"Smart....but not wise".
    --Old Saying

9. mitosis

mitosis New Member

I've been following this petty spat for a little while myself and was looking to post something to put it all in perspective. But you did a much better job than I could.

Good onya bobby optical character recognition (hope you don't mind if I use your full name). :)

10. alienator

Yeah, I got that part. I was jez wonderin' how it was that I got owned and when owning became a possibility.

11. 1id10t

1id10t New Member

+1
    I'd like to thank all of the participants for making my otherwise crappy day at work (yes, I'm one of the many out there who contributes to the billions lost in industry) bearable. I raise my bottle of gatorade (not allowed to have alcohol in the office) to you all.:D

12. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

It is never a possibility, it is a state of mind, for the ownee or the owner, or both. You see, when an 'owner' believes they have owned at a particular point in time, they make the effort to point it out. Whether the 'ownee' accepts this state of being owned is a completely personal decision. Thus, it does not take both to create a situation where someone has been owned, though it does take an owner to initiate the situation. Let CBob believe he has owned you, you are only 'owned' if you begin to vehemently deny being owned or accept it.

FI, you responded correctly by not accepting the possibilty of being owned.

And a situation like this has no winners, but continued insistence of ownership despite being ignored and/or continued arguments about who got owned etc. guarantee generating some amusement for the people reading.

13. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

That would have been the moment your mouth started outrunning your brain. I'm guessing that it started about two years after your birth.

p0wn3D

14. dm69

dm69 New Member

BAHAHAHA. rofl. Thanks Campy Bob and OCR, thats some funny stuff.

And yes alienator Campy bob pwnd you nub!

PS: I swear sum1 mentioned w.o.w and counter strike in a cyclingforum!!! thats when you know the threads going downhill :p

15. Xsmoker

Xsmoker New Member

The internet is a strange place indeed, where else would two people whom share the same passion for something exchange barbs like this? They certainly wouldn't do it in person..

16. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

exactly! :p I don't think they'd talk to each other like that if they were both in the same bike shop.

17. alienator

You don't think? I have no problem letting someone know, in person, that I don't like them. It's how I came by the "alienator" nom de guerre. A fellow paramedic/work partner bestowed it upon me for the way I dealt with incompetent nurses that insisted on doing their best to either harm, kill, or otherwise not help their patients. Dang. I wish I'd known about "owned" back then, 'cuz I coulda yelled "owned" at the nurses, raised my hands high, flashin' the hook'em horns, and done the head banger thing with my head.

Does this mean you're "owned" now? I can never tell.

18. goindowntheroad

goindowntheroad New Member

Ain't this the truth.

19. formernoreasta

formernoreasta New Member

This is probably an interesting experiment, but it's irrelevant. Why? The bar ends may damp or change the placement of higher-order vibration modes in your bars, and may, as you put it, shorten the decay of those vibrations...

but.... you're not holding to them! If little bar ends make a difference, think of what your hands do.

What you put between your hands and bars (i.e. gloves) are much more important for any 'buzz' killing. All that said, it is a neat idea.

20. Armenian

Armenian New Member

I have one and I am not a clown idiot!!!Your opinion already shows you are much more concern about the "image" then riding!!What a poser:mad: