What do you think is the biggest gimmick in bike equipment?

I actually own a Trek OCLV but I hate Trek bikes in general.....the frame broke on me in a race and Trek are replacing it free of charge, which is jolly decent of them, but I'm much happier riding on my alu Cinelli Unica that I bought as replacement.

I've nothing against the bike itself.....it is awesome, it's just Trek has this image and reputation as the bike that the "Lance brigade" get, and the Madone in particular is the ludicrously expensive bike that the well paid middle aged recreational guys get.

In the race scene here (Euro Cat 1) the coolest bike to have is one the team make you ride, or an unmarked black frame with your own choice of wheels etc.

Each bike brand says a little about the rider perhaps?

Another personal fave of mine is overweight guys riding super light CF bikes. Could eat less / ride more and spend less!

BullGod said:
and the Madone in particular is the ludicrously expensive bike that the well paid middle aged recreational guys get.
I beg to differ. The madone is a very stiff and well balanced bike. I've ridden several different models and generations of madones and they always feel spot on as far as geometry and balance. I'm also not the only one around here that feels that way. Loads of cat 1 and 2 racers around here ride them, and my boss (a cat 2) actually prefers his madone to his look 595.

ToffoIsMe said:
I beg to differ. The madone is a very stiff and well balanced bike. I've ridden several different models and generations of madones and they always feel spot on as far as geometry and balance. I'm also not the only one around here that feels that way. Loads of cat 1 and 2 racers around here ride them, and my boss (a cat 2) actually prefers his madone to his look 595.
if you read my post you'll see that I say the Trek is "awesome" re. performance, but I don't like the image.

This is common :

Prima Dona Nuovo II
Our patented lycra polifacetic ceramic infuse 8 panel shorts, deliver a superior performance by using diagonal tension support around your anus. Our exclusive MaxUltraSensorCore® temperature sensitive gelcore antiseptical EPO enhanced pad provides uncompromising comfort almost feeling like riding on a briar's patch. Cross transverse stitching with carbon fiber threads and embedded gold slivers delivers exceptional durability at an exceptional price.
M Shorts: only $1049.99+tax

CAMPYBOB said:
Yeah. What with you being a genius "scientist" and all that ****, you might even take it as a compliment.

Main Entry: 1com·pli·ment
Pronunciation: 'käm-pl&-m&nt
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French, from Italian complimento, from Spanish cumplimiento, from cumplir to be courteous -- more at [size=-1]COMPLY[/size]
1 a : an expression of esteem, respect, affection, or admiration; especially : an admiring remark b : formal and respectful recognition : [size=-1]HONOR[/size]
2 plural : best wishes : [size=-1]REGARDS[/size] <accept my compliments> <compliments of the season>

The grammer lesson was free.
I do charge a reasonable fee if you'ld care to buy a brain or a personality.

No, I won't take your crappy little Subaru in trade.
Bwahahahahaha!So is the spelling lesson....GRAMMAR! :D

I know that I am going to draw fire for this, but IMHO, the biggest gimmick is another cog on the cluster. I mean where does it end, Googleplex Speed? Googleplex One Speed?

stevebaby said:
Bwahahahahaha!So is the spelling lesson....GRAMMAR! :D
You know, this feud between CampyBob and Stevebaby is getting serious. Let me know when the two of you decide to have a duel, Campy Bob armed with a pistol and Stevebaby hurling insults. Could be interesting.

Crankyfeet said:
What do you think is the most over-hyped, excess costing, part of a bike that really doesn't give you much benefit? Just interested in people's views.
Compact chain sets. You don't save anything 'real', and they wear out quicker.

Compact geometry. Just an excuse to make less frame sizes and hardly anyone gets a decent fit.

threaded said:

Compact geometry. Just an excuse to make less frame sizes and hardly anyone gets a decent fit.
It is also an excuse to ride a bike that is just a size or two smaller than what you normally would ride.

kdelong said:
It is also an excuse to ride a bike that is just a size or two smaller than what you normally would ride.

Ah. According to what standard, eh? So, if a person is on a compact, and their cranks, seat, bars, and stem put said person in a position that is biomechanically sound, it's not correct because it doesn't look like a bike fit from 1972? Well, now there is some sound logic.....by sound, I mean completely lacking factual data. It doesn't matter why the manufacturers did what they did. All that matters is that is that the rider end up in that biomechanically sound position.

threaded said:
Alienator is right on this one - compact frames do not compromise fit.
Not only that, but tall people would only have damn stupid looking frames to ride if it weren't for compact frames and long seatposts.

kdelong said:
You know, this feud between CampyBob and Stevebaby is getting serious. Let me know when the two of you decide to have a duel, Campy Bob armed with a pistol and Stevebaby hurling insults. Could be interesting.
Put yer foodstamps on me.
I never lose. :D

threaded said:

I disagree on both counts. Why not equip your bike with the ratios you actually use? I am embarrassed to say, until quite recently I only used my 52 ring for downhills and tailwinds. Which of course means a standard would have worn out quicker because you're only using the small ring regularly. Plus, how is it a gimmick? It's simpler and cheaper than a triple.

Compact geometry provides some welcome clearance, and not all the makers actually do skimp on the number of frame sizes available.

IEatRice4Dinner said:
Its funny about how much people ***** about stupid ****, Pull the tampon out and just ****ing ride and enjoy the bike. Buy what makes you happy. As far as shops selling gimmick products.... its a buisness.... they are there to make money. Dont get ****** at the sales ppl who push **** like that. I do it... if i dident i wouldent have a job.

You're a proof reader right?

mitosis said:
You're a proof reader right?
Don't submit posts like this:eek:! According to Alienator, you will burn in hell as there is no factual data backing up your assumption:D! Reference post 190 of this thread.

kdelong said:
Don't submit posts like this:eek:! According to Alienator, you will burn in hell as there is no factual data backing up your assumption:D! Reference post 190 of this thread.

Looks like he's asking a question, doesn't it? I sit here, giddy, awaiting little nuggets of knowledge from your vast experience.

threaded said:

Well, a compact crank and a 11-25 is a higher high gear and lower low gear than a 53/39 and 12-23...I think they are a great idea(not new BTW). As for 'wear out quicker', maybe a wee bit but decent chainrings,. like Campagnolo and shimano, wear for years.

What's really dumb is a 53/39 and 11-23, what we see on many bikesouttaboxes. What is the product guy thinkin'??

Agree on compact frames, oversized handlebars, integrated HS, threadless in general, multi material frames, carbon butt ends, carbon, carbon, carbon everywhere, wheelsouttaboxes that do nothing well but are expensive......

Say, Kdelong, speaking of gimmicks, what would you say was a good price for a set of 52/42 aluminum biopace rings which were so new you could still see the shearing marks on the drive surfaces?

garage sale GT said:
Say, Kdelong, speaking of gimmicks, what would you say was a good price for a set of 52/42 aluminum biopace rings which were so new you could still see the shearing marks on the drive surfaces?
The last I paid for a set of New-Old Stock Biopace was $49.00 but that was a little over a year ago. They seem be getting more rare so the price that I would put on a new pair right now would be $75.00 - $85.00. I really think that Biopace Chain Rings were a gimmick as they really did not do what Shimano claimed, but from my own personal experience they make riding a little more comfortable. I used to have some moderate knee pain after riding with normal round chainrings but it did not occur after using Biopace rings. I'm not saying that the Biopace rings were any sort of cure but I didn't have the pain and it was the only change that I made. I can ride round rings now without pain, but it feels funny after using biopace for so many years.