What do you think is the Single Most Important Piece of Equipment on or Part of a Bike?

SierraSlim

Oct 4, 2010
[COLOR= #0000ff]Hey, Y'all.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I just read all 23 pages of the thread on what the biggest single gimmick in bike equipment is -- talk about fascinating reading! (Don't usually have that kind of time, but am home sick and bored -- or I'd be out RIDING!!!) [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]So I thought I'd turn it around and ask this one:[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]OTHER THAN FIT -- which is not a tangible, physical thing you purchase -- WHAT DO YOU THINK IS THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT PIECE OF EQUIPMENT ON OR PART OF A BIKE YOU SHOULD BUY? And, if you don't mind, why? [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hope this thread is as interesting as the last one. Thanks! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif[/COLOR]

Wheels.

Upgrading wheels is the number one easiest way to improve the feel/performance of your ride (IMHO). And, you can get wheels to suit your specific needs - aero wheels, light climbing wheels, spin up fast wheels, low rotational weight wheels, little bit of everything wheels. And you can swap them between bikes easily.

The saddle. An uncomfortable saddle will ruin any ride. Many people have ventured into cycling only to give it up because of a saddle that could have been replaced by one more suited to the riders posterior./img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

I agree 100%, my new seat almost doubled my distance before getting the least bit squirmy.

It made all the difference in the world and only cost $17. A very minor sum.

The other thing is tires, they need to fit the way you ride. When I replaced the
knobbies on my mountain bike with rode thread it made a big difference in how
far I could ride in a day. Almost twice. With less tiring.

I was going to say the Stem - but only as it relates to fit which was excluded - so I would have to agree with the seat (which you could also argue is a fit related thing, but still.....)

I base that off of the seat and the stem being the two most replaced parts on a brand new bike to personalize the bike to your body.

Originally Posted by McLoki .

I was going to say the Stem - but only as it relates to fit which was excluded - so I would have to agree with the seat (which you could also argue is a fit related thing, but still.....)

I base that off of the seat and the stem being the two most replaced parts on a brand new bike to personalize the bike to your body.

You know what I think your right that the saddle is related to the fit which was excluded. So I am going to change my mind here (dont tell my wife). I am going with brakes.

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hi, Guys![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I'm so excited to read your answers here! I'll reply to you all together, if you don't mind, since I'm under the weather and my meds will kick in any moment. (Better living through chemistry, I always say. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif)[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Calico -- I had wondered if tires might be one of the answers that popped up, so that didn't surprise me. What I DIDN'T know, though, was that they could be swapped out easily. How cool is that! So I wouldn't necessarily need different bikes for different activities, if all that differed was the road type. Cool![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Dave, a saddle was the first thing I thought of when I asked myself the question. I'm shopping as we speak for a new one. I was quite happy -- though uncomfortable -- on my cruiser's thick, over-padded seat --- until I figured out that it didn't HAVE to chafe and hurt that way, lol. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif So I can't wait to get a better one and see how that improves the ride.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]BHOFM, that statistic is impressive, that with your new one you could ride almost twice as far. That's encouraging, because here lately it isn't my legs that give out on me when I've gone far enough, it's just that I can't stand to SIT on it any longer, lol. I need to work up to 4 hours a day for the bike tour, per their suggestion, so being able to sit on it is crucial. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]McLoki, I didn't know that the seat and the stem were the two most replaced parts used to personalize a bike! See how good y'all are for me? I'm learning, I'm learning! And you CAN make the stem your choice, because it looks like almost everything anybody posts might be related to fit! I guess that only makes sense, since if you don't wanna sit on it, it doesn't matter if everything else works![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]And Dave, you changed your choice (I won't tell Mrs. Dave, lol) from the saddle to the brakes. I am assuming that's for safety reasons? Is one type of brake better than another? Dear Hubby likes it when I tell him a bike has disc brakes, but -- bless his heart -- isn't good at explaining why he likes some things better than others. When I test-rode some bikes at REI, I nearly threw myself head-first over the handlebars the first time I used the hand brakes; all I've ever used was pedaling backward, lol. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif So I'll have to be careful learning to use those things. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks for the input, y'all! We have the tires, the saddle, the stem, and the brakes -- all answers that I kind of expected, but am also surprised at because I figured people would be on here clamoring for their favorite gear system or component or widget. Maybe that's to come yet -- or maybe it really is all about fit! We'll see.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Have a great evening, y'all. And thanks! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif[/COLOR]

Sierra, I'm going to agree with the saddle and tires being most important (behind fit). If you're not comfortable on the bike, you're not going to ride. As others have implied, a saddle that is fine for a short ride may not be so fine once you progress to longer rides. They're easy to change, but of course they can run into money. After doing a lot of riding on Performance brand road saddles, I put a Brooks B17 on my bike. I must admit it was partly for reasons of vanity. But I'd had some experience with that type of traditional solid leather saddle before, and never had a problem. So far, the Brooks is very comfortable for me, I don't think about the saddle at all and that's a good thing. I posted to you about tires before, they are important. If you have a frame that's not a strict racing frame, you will have flexibility in your choice of tires because there will be clearance for wider tires. Also, you can change your ride just by adjusting the air pressure in your tires. It's cheap (75 cents or free, depending...) Take care, Steve

Originally Posted by CalicoCat .

yeah, you are right. I concede. It's the breaks. Skewers probably rank pretty high too.
[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks for the vote, Calico and Yojimbo. It's interesting that people are voting for the brakes; I had never considered them, lol. And Sierra is now doing research... because I didn't know bikes HAD skewers! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Happy pedaling![/COLOR]

The rider. This factor makes a much bigger difference than any other. Put me on a Cervelo P1000 time trial bike weighing 1 kg with dish wheels and Contador on a dual suspension Huffy with knobbly tyres, race us both over 100 km, and I don't think I'll be the winner.

You might also include the clothes on the rider, specifically shorts or bibs with chamois padding. Personally for me though, it is the water bottles. I can't ride without my hydration.

[COLOR= #0000ff]Y'all are all so smart!!![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I would not have thought of the clothing, KD, OR the water bottles. But I just today got my first pair of padded bike shorts, and you can't imagine how glad my bottom is, LOL. And I'm like you about the hydration. I drink 3-4 times as much as most of my friends, and can't imagine that they're not dying of thirst. (It helps me keep from having the munchies, too.) My worry is that on the bike tour next June, it'll also mean lots of potty stops with maybe no potties around! Hope there are lots of bushes, lol.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]And Artemedoris, I also wouldn't have thought of the rider -- though, technically, since slavery is illegal here and you can't buy him, he doesn't count, lol. But I think I know what you're saying (even though I don't know who/what a Contador is), that being fit is important. I actually feel sorry for my poor bike, lol. It'll be embarrassed to be saddled with (no pun intended) such a pathetic rider. But maybe we can grow together. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Keep the good ideas comin', y'all. I'm loving it! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif [/COLOR]

Tire liners , I was having 2 or 3 flats a week I don't know if I would still be rideing if it wern't for tire liners, my flats are way down /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hi, Wild![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I have GOT to remember that one! My hubby has flats all the time, and he uses liners and all kinds of things. Nothing seems to help. He says it's because of the city streets he rides on. I dunno; but I DO know that if I have a flat once a week like he does, I will not be a happy camper! [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Happy pedaling -- on inflated tires, lol.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Sierra[/COLOR]

I think this is a personal question every rider should ask him/her self. I am a "techie" at heart so I will say bike computer. I use GPS to track my miles and keep track of my progress. I upload and share this info with other riders and we compare time and speed. I use the cycle app on my iphone to update my status on facebook with my progress. My friends and family can respond back and i get it live while i am riding.

Spend the money on good tires and you don't even think about them. I use Continental " Ultra gatorskins" size 23c

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hi, Jagonz![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]You sound like my hubby; he's a techie, too, so I have a fondness for them, I guess. I'm just not one, lol. I have a bike computer thingie that tells me 4 things: speed, time, mileage this trip, and total mileage from beginning. Maybe as I progress other information will become more important to me. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]That GPS WOULD come in handy, though. Dear Hubby tells me I'm the only person he knows who can get lost on the way to the mailbox, LOL.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks for the info on tires, too; I was wondering what kind people use.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Have a great one.[/COLOR]

Originally Posted by SierraSlim .

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hi, Wild![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I have GOT to remember that one! My hubby has flats all the time, and he uses liners and all kinds of things. Nothing seems to help. He says it's because of the city streets he rides on. I dunno; but I DO know that if I have a flat once a week like he does, I will not be a happy camper! [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Happy pedaling -- on inflated tires, lol.[/COLOR]

Under inflated tires can lead to pinch flats. Sometimes taking to many precautions to prevent flats can lead to flats. Your husband may be underinflating his tires believeing this will give him added protection from puctures. Ask him what the puncture in his tube looks like the next time he gets a flat. If it looks like a snake bite (two tiny holes) his tires are to soft.

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks a lot, Dave! Will do! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif[/COLOR]