What do you think of 16 inchers?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by Carolyn, Apr 19, 2006.

  1. Carolyn

    Carolyn Guest

    Hello!
    This is my first post-- I'm pretty new to unicycling. I got a 24"
    Torker Lx a month or two ago, and can ride fairly well, do some small
    jumps, free mount ect.
    I was thinking of investing in a 16" just for fun... I'm sort of in the
    circus biz (trapeze and dancing anyway) so I thought it might be cool
    for manuvering/differant kinds of tricks, but not too many of you guys
    seem to ride them, so I was looking for advice.

    I can get a Torker Cx 16" for about 80 bucks, is it worth it?

    -Carolyn

    --
    Carolyn
    Carolyn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11436

  2. podzol

    podzol Guest

    :) Welcome!

    I suppose you could get one for clowing around on, but tf that's all
    you want it for get a 12"!

    If you want to learn freestyle get 20" They are more versatile and you
    can get a better unicycle too.

    --
    podzol

    THE MISSING WHEELS TOUR DA YOOP!
    Check out the charity ride, planning is under way.
    Seeking riders and support.
    *http://missingwheels.unicyclist.com/ *
    podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

  3. ntappin

    ntappin Guest

    A 16 inch is great for what you are describing. I find that a 12 incher
    is too restricting for anyone that can ride anything bigger as it is
    extremely hard to turn without hitting the pedals.

    --
    ntappin

  4. trials_uni

    trials_uni Guest

    if you want somethign to clown around on get a 12"er but if you want to
    ride around for more that 3 seconds get a 16"er.

    --
    trials_uni

    TRIALS 4 LIFE !
    [image: http://tinyurl.com/qz2fv ]

    koebwil wrote:
    > I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
    > letters I don't want

    w00t...i got reply # 60666 in MR

  5. Carolyn

    Carolyn Guest

    trials_uni wrote:
    > if you want somethign to clown around on get a 12"er but if you want to
    > ride around for more that 3 seconds get a 16"er.

    Hah- thanks! I think I'd def go for a 16 over 12... It's mostly just a
    money crunch I guess. I don't know if I should invest in a second uni
    yet, or save up for a better freestyle. If all were right in the world
    I'd be laying down 4 grand worth of unicycles....
    Ahh! I've become addicted to unicycles!

    --
    Carolyn
    Carolyn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11436

  6. trials_uni

    trials_uni Guest

    only 4 grand cuz if thing were right id be spending a bit more then
    that!

    id buy 'this' (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=101)

    'and this' (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=461)

    'and this' (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=568)

    'and this' (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=697)

    'and this' (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=54)

    'and this' (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=828)

    'and this' (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=810)

    'and every this on this page' (http://tinyurl.com/p7a7h)

    which all comes to...$4604.55 USD

    --

    koebwil wrote:
    > I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
    > letters I don't want

    w00t...i got reply # 60666 in MR

  7. irvinegr

    irvinegr Guest

  8. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    A problem with the 16" and smaller unicycle is that you hit the pedals
    on the ground when turning. It is also difficult to get one with a
    seatpost that is long enough for an adult or a teen.

    If you actually want to use the unicycle to learn skills with then a
    20" uni with a long enough seatpost for your height will be best. Keep
    in mind that many of the 20" unicycles are still designed for kids and
    the stock seatposts are sized as such. You can always cut a seatpost
    shorter with a hacksaw, but it's more difficult to make them longer.

    If you want to use the unicycle to look goofy or clownlike then one
    with a smaller wheel (16" or 12") and a short seatpost will do the
    trick. But don't expect to use the unicycle for anything other than
    novelty riding. It won't be a unicycle for skills development.

    --
    john_childs

    john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
    Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
    'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
    'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

  9. Carolyn

    Carolyn Guest

    trials_uni wrote:
    > only 4 grand cuz if thing were right id be spending a bit more then
    > that!

    Hah, very good point.
    I think I'll hold off on a 16inch for now. My 24" is working well for
    basic skills (though I now wish I had a 20") so I'll stick with that
    and not spend my money for awhile. Maybe I'll invest in a nice 20incher
    before I go to school in august.

    Thanks for the info john childs, it helped alot. And yea, I had to cut
    the seatpost on my Lx... that was lesson one in my unicycly training:
    How to use a hacksaw.

    Thanks for everyone's input!
    -Carolyn:D

    --
    Carolyn
    Carolyn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11436

  10. weeble

    weeble Guest

    I had a 16" MaxDaddy with an adult-height frame for several years. It
    had custom 3" cranks, so pedal strikes weren't a problem. It was great
    fun to ride at gym practices and such, and the only uni that I've ever
    been able to ride one-footed. I rode it outside a couple of times, but
    it was just too silly. I had to sell it recently. :(

    |Filename: uni_16_2.JPG |

    weeble

    All brontosauruses are thin at one end, much MUCH
    thicker in the middle, and then thin again at the
    far end. That is the theory that I have and which
    is mine, and what it is too. - Ms. Anne Elk
    weeble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1625

  11. uni57

    uni57 Guest

    I have a Sun 12" unicycle. The Semcycle "Deluxe" seatposts (the ones
    with the holes) fit it. Sometimes I put a 400mm seatpost with KH seat
    on the 12er. It makes the seat height around normal, but you are
    riding a 12" wheel. Strange feeling. But there are only three or four
    spokes* on the wheel -- I doubt it's a very strong wheel (it's made for
    tiny kids, not 200+ pound, six-foot-tall adults).

    It does look funny when you ride it, especially with the stock (very
    short) seatpost. And like others have said, you can barely turn at all
    without knocking the pedals on the ground. But at US$49.00, it's a
    cool novelty item.

    * - okay, maybe there's a few more spokes than that, but not many

    --
    uni57

    -\"what's a troll?\"- - billythemountain
    uni57's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2085

  12. evil-nick

    evil-nick Guest

    I did my 1st unispin on a 16" :D Yeah, pedal strikes were a problem,
    worse on the 12", but I get them sometimes with my 20" too :(

    --
    evil-nick

    Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total
    obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and
    through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see
    its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will
    remain.

    * Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.

    I'm late for checkers with the Dalai Lama!

    My gallery:
    http://evil.linuxfreak.ca/uni.html
    Our Club:
    http://cs.ubishops.ca/~buuc/
    evil-nick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6692

  13. krring

    krring Guest

    i'd love to have a 12" simply to be able to disassemble it and put it in
    a normal rucksack, then take it out at the end of school.

    it's very ridable, though. i think i even managed to go backwards on
    one.

    --
    krring
    krring's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11391

  14. sarah.miller

    sarah.miller Guest

  15. dan de man

    dan de man Guest

    I want to get a 12 inch to take to school and ride around during reccess

    --
    dan de man

    James_Potter wrote:
    > Each end has to eat. What goes in one end, comes out the other.
    > Therefore, whatever end A eats, let's call him Fred, what Fred eats has
    > to come out of side 2, let's call him Charlie. Whatever Charlie eats
    > must come out of Fred.
    >
    > It's gruesome, I know. But the truth hurts sometimes.

    dan de man's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11403

  16. I asked that same question to my GF not long ago. Her reply was, "there
    ok, but I'm just as happy with your 12". :cool:

    --
    terrybigwheel

    Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

    Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. :cool:

    You -can- "Tune a fish". You simply adjust their "scales"! :D
    terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

  17. koebwil

    koebwil Guest

  18. koebwil wrote:
    > That was inevitable, but still hilarious.

    She actually said she was just as happy riding my 12".:D

    --
    terrybigwheel

    Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

    Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. :cool:

    You -can- "Tune a fish". You simply adjust their "scales"! :D
    terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

  19. unijesse

    unijesse Guest

  20. Carolyn