What do you think of 16 inchers?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by Carolyn, Apr 19, 2006.

  1. Carolyn wrote:
    > Hah, if only you had written it like that the first. Now you're just
    > killing it.

    Well, I didn't want to be TOO "suggestive", but not everybody got it
    anyway, (hard to believe!) so no biggie...whoops, there I go again!:D

    --
    terrybigwheel

    Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

    Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. :cool:

    You -can- "Tune a fish". You simply adjust their "scales"! :D
    terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

  2. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    Mostly what John Childs says covers it all.

    I have a 12" uni that's used for shows. It was made from a high-end
    child's bike, which means it's stronger than most other 12" wheels, but
    I'm still a lot heavier than what it was designed for, so I try to be
    nice to it. It's hard to beat it up much as the seat is only a few
    inches above the tire. It's supposed to be funny.

    My experience with 16" wheels is that the pedals still hit the ground
    all the time, unless you put on really short cranks. This will inhibit
    your learning of some skills. Plus, you'll still be on a wheel that's
    made for kids only. In the 20" arena there are tons of choices of rims,
    spokes, tires, etc. which is not the case for 12", 16", or 24" for that
    matter.

    My 20" has 110mm cranks on it, which I consider too short for learning
    many types of tricks, or for my style of riding. I used to have 125s,
    which are a bit long. I should have some 114s on there. 125s will hit
    the ground as well, but only when turning fairly sharp. The short
    cranks are great for rolling and spinning tricks, which is perhaps best
    exemplified by the videos of Japanese Freestylers that you can find out
    there.

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss

    "The worst thing you can do on a unicycle when you land is stop dead."
    -- Kris Holm, world's expert on high-consequence unicycling

  3. Carolyn

    Carolyn Guest

    terrybigwheel wrote:
    > Well, I didn't want to be TOO "suggestive", but not everybody got it
    > anyway, (hard to believe!) so no biggie...whoops, there I go again!:D

    You're an idiot. But funny.

    Thanks Johnfoss... I think I'm going to hold off on getting anything
    for now, though a small uni would be awesome for show/performing. I'll
    have to think about if I want to invest in small cranks and all....

    Actually, who am I kidding, I'm still working on riding in straight
    lines and getting over really cracked patches of sidewalks. I probably
    don't need two unicycles yet!

    -carolyn

    --
    Carolyn
    Carolyn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11436

  4. Carolyn wrote:
    > You're an idiot. But funny.

    And "idiot" AND funny. Gee, thanks!:D

    --
    terrybigwheel

    Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

    Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. :cool:

    You -can- "Tune a fish". You simply adjust their "scales"! :D
    terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

  5. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 18:54:47 -0500, terrybigwheel wrote:

    >I asked that same question to my GF not long ago. Her reply was, "there
    >ok, but I'm just as happy with your 12". :cool:

    So, who's 16" has she ridden then? :)

  6. Klaas Bil wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 18:54:47 -0500, terrybigwheel wrote:
    >
    > >I asked that same question to my GF not long ago. Her reply was,

    > "there
    > >ok, but I'm just as happy with your 12". :cool:

    > So, who's 16" has she ridden then? :)

    Mine, before I had is shortened! (Burn!):cool:

    --
    terrybigwheel

    Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

    Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. :cool:

    You -can- "Tune a fish". You simply adjust their "scales"! :D
    terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

  7. Carolyn

    Carolyn Guest

  8. Carolyn wrote:
    > Face it Terry, you lost.

    Ok I'll face it.:( I just hope I can recover from a such a devastating
    loss! Now for a nice of slice of chocolate cake and a cup of java to
    start the morning...mmmmm, good!:)

    --
    terrybigwheel

    Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

    Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. :cool:

    You -can- "Tune a fish". You simply adjust their "scales"! :D
    terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

  9. joshuni

    joshuni Guest

    ...wow, this thread went from a legit debate over wheel circumfrence to
    a running penis joke. oh well, made me laugh. my brother
    (1tiredmarine) just upgraded to a 24" after learning on a 16" sun.
    it's in my posession now (he's getting deployed) and i hate it. it
    feels like a toy and it's not efficient. i don't think it would
    perform well for freestyle or anything accept novelty use. i certainly
    wouldn't spend money on one.

    --
    joshuni

    president of the norml uni sect