What do you think of Kurt Kinetic trainers?

wackydeirdre

Mar 12, 2005
Yes, I'm still looking for a trainer. I want to just get one already and start using it. The Kurt Kinetic Road Machine advertises to be most road like also that it can be used for both road as well as mountain bikes even has been advertised being used with "knobbies". It also can be used for tires as small as 16" which means my boys will get use from it as well. Another thing they advertise is they do not get as hot as others and are easier on tires and they are guaranteed not to leak. I haven't seen anyone talk about them but was wondering if anyone had used one and how they like it.

wackydeirdre said:
Yes, I'm still looking for a trainer. I want to just get one already and start using it. The Kurt Kinetic Road Machine advertises to be most road like also that it can be used for both road as well as mountain bikes even has been advertised being used with "knobbies". It also can be used for tires as small as 16" which means my boys will get use from it as well. Another thing they advertise is they do not get as hot as others and are easier on tires and they are guaranteed not to leak. I haven't seen anyone talk about them but was wondering if anyone had used one and how they like it.

this will be my 5th winter season on one, and I can't believe any trainer could be better than the kurt road machine. I've posted its praises before...20 on the road machine feels like 20 on the road, and if you stop pedaling it will coast like when on the road...can't do that with the wimpy flywheels on other trainers. I spend about 75+ hours a winter on one, including some 3 - 4 hour rides. can you tell I believe in the road machine?

rv said:
this will be my 5th winter season on one, and I can't believe any trainer could be better than the kurt road machine. I've posted its praises before...20 on the road machine feels like 20 on the road, and if you stop pedaling it will coast like when on the road...can't do that with the wimpy flywheels on other trainers. I spend about 75+ hours a winter on one, including some 3 - 4 hour rides. can you tell I believe in the road machine?
Excellent!!! Just the thing I wanted to hear! Thanks! :)

wackydeirdre said:
Excellent!!! Just the thing I wanted to hear! Thanks! :)
Now for the down side.

The adjustment for different wheel sizes is not real easy due to bike angle while in the trainer.

Because a small wheeled bike's back wheel will be lifted higher in the air, it will be as if the bike is riding down hill. Also for the smallest wheels, I believe an adapter must be used.

The downward slant could be alleviated somewhat by using a riser block, but the only other way requires a wrench and readjusting the legs to raise and lower the axle "clamps" for the different sized bikes.

FYI - I use, and like, the trainer too!

dgregory57 said:
Now for the down side.

The adjustment for different wheel sizes is not real easy due to bike angle while in the trainer.

Because a small wheeled bike's back wheel will be lifted higher in the air, it will be as if the bike is riding down hill. Also for the smallest wheels, I believe an adapter must be used.

The downward slant could be alleviated somewhat by using a riser block, but the only other way requires a wrench and readjusting the legs to raise and lower the axle "clamps" for the different sized bikes.

FYI - I use, and like, the trainer too!
Yes, That definetly is a bummer! I'm afraid it's a bummer I may need to deal with though as I want to get a good trainer once and for all rather than one I will need to replace every couple of years. Do you think I will require an adapter for 20" tires? How long have you had your Road Machine?

wackydeirdre said:
Yes, That definetly is a bummer! I'm afraid it's a bummer I may need to deal with though as I want to get a good trainer once and for all rather than one I will need to replace every couple of years. Do you think I will require an adapter for 20" tires? How long have you had your Road Machine?
The 1Up CPR A-2000 is in the same price range as the Kurt Kinetic ($299, free shipping). It accommodates smaller wheels without an adapter (needs adjustment with included tool) or pronounced slant. It's quiet and has plenty of resistance (I'm not really a powerhouse). I've had mine for around half a year, I'm quite pleased with it. http://www.1upusa.com/bike_trainer.html

Flatscan said:
The 1Up CPR A-2000 is in the same price range as the Kurt Kinetic ($299, free shipping). It accommodates smaller wheels without an adapter (needs adjustment with included tool) or pronounced slant. It's quiet and has plenty of resistance (I'm not really a powerhouse). I've had mine for around half a year, I'm quite pleased with it. http://www.1upusa.com/bike_trainer.html
Do you have a 1Up CPR A-2000? If so how do you like it? How would you compare it to the Kurt Kinetic? From reviews I have read it seems to have a lot of small parts to fidget with and never seems to feel really connected to the tire.

I have the kinetic for just about a year now. I use it a few times a week. It works great and is better than the other wind and fluid trainers that I've tried in bike shops. In the manual for the trainer they supply a resistance curve for the trainer. Yadda watts at such and such a speed. That may or may not be the actual resistance for you when you are out on the road. The manual supplies all the assumptions they made when they generated that curve. You can get a cheap bike computer that will give you your wattage from Kurt Kinetic. Though you can just use your speed and their chart to figure out your power output. If you get the trainer from analytic cycling they allow you to customize the resistance curve. If I had to do it againg I would do that. And also get the heaviest fly wheel possible. It has longer spin down and feels closer to actual road riding.

Customer service from Kurt Kinetic is fantastic. I managed to strip the bolt that tightens the trainer to the rear wheel. Twice. Both times they sent me a new bolt for free. No questions asked.

To avoid stripping the bolt I started greasing it. Greasing made a world of difference. 6 months no stripping of bolt.

Flatscan said:
Thank you so much for that! I researched the trainer and really liked it then called the manufacturer and asked a ton of questions. Bottom line, I was very pleased! They were very informative and helpful. I ordered the trainer, YAY!!! They are going to provide me with an additional set of cups so I don't have to take out the wrench and adjust the cups when I want to put my sons on. Free shipping, a heavy flywheel and a lifetime guarantee. I don't think that can be beat anywhere! Kurt Kinetic only gives 5 yr warantee and has a lighter flywheel. I'm so happy you wrote. Thank you so much! I should get the trainer some time next week. I'll be sure to let you know how I like it.
I've been researching trainers for some time now. Why have I not seen this one before?

wackydeirdre said:
Thank you so much for that! I researched the trainer and really liked it then called the manufacturer and asked a ton of questions. Bottom line, I was very pleased! They were very informative and helpful. I ordered the trainer, YAY!!! They are going to provide me with an additional set of cups so I don't have to take out the wrench and adjust the cups when I want to put my sons on. Free shipping, a heavy flywheel and a lifetime guarantee. I don't think that can be beat anywhere! Kurt Kinetic only gives 5 yr warantee and has a lighter flywheel. I'm so happy you wrote. Thank you so much! I should get the trainer some time next week. I'll be sure to let you know how I like it.
I've been researching trainers for some time now. Why have I not seen this one before?
I'm glad you found my post useful. I hope the trainer works out well for you.

I've read that 1Up customer service is great, but I've never had to use them. Providing an extra set of cups is an excellent solution, you should be able to swap between bikes very easily.

One thing you should be aware of is that it's difficult to get the tire tight enough against the drum. I use one bike and leave it attached, so I tend to forget about this. I use 2 tricks: deflate the tire a little, tighten the drum a turn or two, then pump the tire back up; or take the bike off, tighten a turn or two, then force the bike in (this loads the wheel sideways, so I've tried to avoid this).

I think the CPR A-2000's proprietary resistance unit is part of the reason that it's less well known (wind, mag, fluid, and ... "other"). It's also only sold direct, so it doesn't get exposure from being in stores.

Flatscan said:
I'm glad you found my post useful. I hope the trainer works out well for you.

I've read that 1Up customer service is great, but I've never had to use them. Providing an extra set of cups is an excellent solution, you should be able to swap between bikes very easily.

One thing you should be aware of is that it's difficult to get the tire tight enough against the drum. I use one bike and leave it attached, so I tend to forget about this. I use 2 tricks: deflate the tire a little, tighten the drum a turn or two, then pump the tire back up; or take the bike off, tighten a turn or two, then force the bike in (this loads the wheel sideways, so I've tried to avoid this).

I think the CPR A-2000's proprietary resistance unit is part of the reason that it's less well known (wind, mag, fluid, and ... "other"). It's also only sold direct, so it doesn't get exposure from being in stores.
When I read the reviews the tire tightening problem was one of the only negative things I saw on it, thanks for the tip. If you should think of others please let me know. My kids are really psyched the trainer is finally coming. They feel funny next to the other kids who are so much stronger than themselves.:)

Ill throw in another vote for the Kurt Kinetic. Its quiet enough to ride in a dorm room with a roommate, and him not complain. The fact of the matter is, it wont be like road riding IMO. Yes, the trainer is power tap calibrated, which is fine and dandy, but a road isnt. Just take that for what its worth.

Also, someone mentioned the bike angle, if you adjust the legs in the different positioning holes, you can get your rear wheel fairly close to the ground and eliminate the need for the block.

wackydeirdre said:
When I read the reviews the tire tightening problem was one of the only negative things I saw on it, thanks for the tip. If you should think of others please let me know. My kids are really psyched the trainer is finally coming. They feel funny next to the other kids who are so much stronger than themselves.:)
I tried greasing the threads that the tightening knobs go on, and it seemed to help the problem - I was able to tighten it sufficiently by hand. It wasn't easy, but I had previously found it to be impossible. I applied dollops of grease with a cotton swab, then screwed the knobs from one side to the other to spread it around. After wiping off the excess, the grease isn't messy, and it seems to help quite a bit.