What do you think of Kurt Kinetic trainers?

wackydeirdre

Mar 12, 2005
Yes, I'm still looking for a trainer. I want to just get one already and start using it. The Kurt Kinetic Road Machine advertises to be most road like also that it can be used for both road as well as mountain bikes even has been advertised being used with "knobbies". It also can be used for tires as small as 16" which means my boys will get use from it as well. Another thing they advertise is they do not get as hot as others and are easier on tires and they are guaranteed not to leak. I haven't seen anyone talk about them but was wondering if anyone had used one and how they like it.

Not used mine, yet. I'm planning to get one in the next week or so.

16" tires?? :eek: What kind of slave-driving mom are you? You gonna put a 4-yr old on the fluid trainer and have them doing intervals? Better get the Kinetic for the 2500w rating on the power unit, just to be safe. :D (j/k, of course)

frenchyge said:
Not used mine, yet. I'm planning to get one in the next week or so.

16" tires?? :eek: What kind of slave-driving mom are you? You gonna put a 4-yr old on the fluid trainer and have them doing intervals? Better get the Kinetic for the 2500w rating on the power unit, just to be safe. :D (j/k, of course)
Just trying to get the guys used to their bikes in hopes that riding them comes easy to them in the spring. They aren't the "once you ride a bike you never forget" type kids. They are very intelligent, just motor delayed and have ADHD - bad combo. Riding is hard work for them. They actually asked me if I could get a trainer they could use. One of my sons is skin and bones. Hopefully he'll gain some muscle. What is the 2500w rating? Are you getting the Road Machine? They are selling them on EBAY for $275.00 w/ free shipping FYI, full warranties. Just make sure you buy from an "authorized Kurt Kinetic dealer if you want the warranty. "Depending on the seller you get some DVD's tossed in. One guy is throwing a heart monitor & 2 DVD's in but that is with the 2005 model. Do you know if there is a difference between the 2005 & the 2006 models aside from color? Also, how necessary is it to have the stand for the front tire? Thanks!
PS My sons are 10 :rolleyes:

I'm an aspiring racer, and I chose the Kinetic for road feel, resistance to leaks, and a very high maximum power rating (2500 watts). Most riders (including myself) are typically down in the 200-400 watt range except during sprint exercises, so the power rating on a fluid trainer is absolutely not an issue for less serious riders. Likewise with road feel. I've been perfectly happy with my Mag trainer for a couple years now, and am just now starting to feel like I've outgrown it. All that said, the Road Machine may be more than what you *need,* but from what I've seen and heard I'm convinced that it's an excellent trainer if it fits your price range.

Regarding small wheels, I hope your kids love it and get some benefit from it. You might check this out (if you haven't already) and note that a small-wheel adapter is required for wheels smaller than 22". http://www.kurtkinetic.com/compatibility.php?osCsid=7718073c26a989a047b058b5ad417904 That's typical of most trainers.

You will want to prop up the front wheel on something. Phone books work nearly as well as the plastic stands, and are much more economical.

One of my local bike stores is a Kinetic dealer, so warranty is not an issue for me. www.analyticcycling.com is also an authorized Kinetic dealer with the $275 price and free shipping. I've ordered from them before without issue. Good luck and post if you have more questions.

ITS THE BEST!!!!! IF YOU SPEND YOU $$$$$$ ON ANYTHING ELSE THEN YOUR ARE JUST WASTING YOUR $$$$$$$$!!!!!

wackydeirdre said:
Yes, I'm still looking for a trainer. I want to just get one already and start using it. The Kurt Kinetic Road Machine advertises to be most road like also that it can be used for both road as well as mountain bikes even has been advertised being used with "knobbies". It also can be used for tires as small as 16" which means my boys will get use from it as well. Another thing they advertise is they do not get as hot as others and are easier on tires and they are guaranteed not to leak. I haven't seen anyone talk about them but was wondering if anyone had used one and how they like it.

Bubble King said:
ITS THE BEST!!!!! IF YOU SPEND YOU $$$$$$ ON ANYTHING ELSE THEN YOUR ARE JUST WASTING YOUR $$$$$$$$!!!!!
I CAME EXTREMELY CLOSE TO GETTING THE KURT THEN SOMEONE POSTED JUST BEFORE I ORDERED TO LOOK INTO THE 1UP USA TRAINER. I LOOKED INTO IT AND GOT IT. IT FITS ALL SIZE & STYLE BIKES AND HAS A LIFETIME GUARANTEE. I PICKED IT UP AND AM VERY HAPPY WITH IT. THANKS EVERYONE! ;)