what do you think...

nanook08

Jul 6, 2005
Ok, so I'm planning out my mtn bike purchase... and I have a few bikes in mind. I'm looking around the 600-800 dollar range. I want a good bike that I can use for some XC and general trail riding. I'm not too serious about racing right now, but I might consider it. I'm looking at hard tails just because of the cost factor.

The bikes I have been looking at are Kona Blast or Cinder Cone; Giant Rainier; Gary Fisher Tassajara.

I'm open to suggestions too. I don't know as much about mtn bikes, so I'm not sure exactly what components are more important for what I'm looking for. Ideally I'd like to spend the least amount possible, but at the same time I'd much rather pay for a good bike that will last for a few years, rather than something that will break, or I'll outgrow. However, I am thinking that within 2 years time I'll probably want a full suspension mtn bike, so should I consider something less expensive for now, and then get a FS later? I don't know.

Thanks
D

Full suspension prices have gotten so reasonable that it is hard to argue against them. You will have to be more diligent regarding maintenance (bushings, etc.) but the reduced wear and tear on the body is noticable. But, if you are really considering racing, you do pay a small weight penalty with FS. If you live in an area with much climbing, it may be a real disadvantage. I ride a Litespeed Obed with XTR and a Rock Shock post. For racing applications it is the fastest bike I've ever ridden (and I've ridden a lot). Specialized still makes some of my favorite FS designs.

You might want to take a look at the canondale F300-$500 range and F600 $750, good light hardtails with good/decent components. Trek also has some good/decent bikes in that price range and getting later in the year your LBS may be dropping prices soon.