What do YOU use to pull glass/wires/nails/goatheads out of tires?

Hiya:
You know how it goes at flat tire time. Step one: Fix tube or get
replacement tube ready. Step two: See if you can find that gol-danged
foreign object that holed your tube still embedded in the tire, and
remove it before it flats you again.
Currently, i'm using a $10 imitation Leatherman multitool. If I
can't yank it out with the pliers, I can push it out with the awl to
the point where I can yank it.
What do you use -- especially if it weights less! Stamp tongs?
Beesting removal tweezers from the first aid kit? Poke it out with a
spare spoke or your trusty crocheting hook?

Robert Leone [email protected]

[email protected] wrote:
> What do you use -- especially if it weights less! Stamp tongs?
> Beesting removal tweezers from the first aid kit? Poke it out with a
> spare spoke or your trusty crocheting hook?

I rarely go anywhere without my beloved Swiss Army Knife. I got the
fanciest one that they make that doesn't have a corkscrew. I think it's
called a Super Tinker. It has tweezers that are next to useless, but
makes up for it with a superb pair of miniature pliers. It also has
scissors, an awl, and a sort of "crochet hook."

Bill

| True peace is not merely the absence of tension: |
| it is the presence of justice. |
| --Martin Luther King |

> Hiya:
> You know how it goes at flat tire time. Step one: Fix tube or get
> replacement tube ready. Step two: See if you can find that gol-danged
> foreign object that holed your tube still embedded in the tire, and
> remove it before it flats you again.
> Currently, i'm using a $10 imitation Leatherman multitool. If I
> can't yank it out with the pliers, I can push it out with the awl to
> the point where I can yank it.
> What do you use -- especially if it weights less! Stamp tongs?
> Beesting removal tweezers from the first aid kit? Poke it out with a
> spare spoke or your trusty crocheting hook?
>
> Robert Leone [email protected]

Between the 3 different keys on my key-chain I always find one that
works as a make-shift tool for all sorts of stuff that fingers can't do
themselves.

Joseph

[email protected] wrote in news:1137954989.113926.261150
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Hiya:
> You know how it goes at flat tire time. Step one: Fix tube or get
> replacement tube ready. Step two: See if you can find that gol-danged
> foreign object that holed your tube still embedded in the tire, and
> remove it before it flats you again.
> Currently, i'm using a $10 imitation Leatherman multitool. If I
> can't yank it out with the pliers, I can push it out with the awl to
> the point where I can yank it.
> What do you use -- especially if it weights less! Stamp tongs?
> Beesting removal tweezers from the first aid kit? Poke it out with a
> spare spoke or your trusty crocheting hook?
>
> Robert Leone [email protected]

Old Victorinox Swiss army knife.
I stick the blade flat against the tire, sharp edge into object,
and pry. If it's unexposed, I use the flat part of the small
screwdriver/can opener to massage it out enough to pry.

[email protected] wrote:
> Hiya:
> You know how it goes at flat tire time. Step one: Fix tube or get
> replacement tube ready. Step two: See if you can find that gol-danged
> foreign object that holed your tube still embedded in the tire, and
> remove it before it flats you again.
> Currently, i'm using a $10 imitation Leatherman multitool. If I
> can't yank it out with the pliers, I can push it out with the awl to
> the point where I can yank it.
> What do you use -- especially if it weights less! Stamp tongs?
> Beesting removal tweezers from the first aid kit? Poke it out with a
> spare spoke or your trusty crocheting hook?

I'm decidedly minimalist so I just use the blade tip of my pocket
knife. When that has failed, I've always been able to find something
lying around I could use. A pop top ring pulled from the inevitable
soda can works particularly well on glass shards. Twigs or even rocks
can push out a nail far enough for my knifeblade tip to carefully pry
it out.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] writes:

> What do you use -- especially if it weights less! Stamp tongs?
> Beesting removal tweezers from the first aid kit? Poke it out with a
> spare spoke or your trusty crocheting hook?

I've mostly gotten by with just my fingernails.
But then, note my .sig.

Since reaching reading-glasses-needing age, it's
/finding/ the damn thing that's the hard part.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> What do you use -- especially if it weights less! Stamp tongs?
>>Beesting removal tweezers from the first aid kit? Poke it out with a
>>spare spoke or your trusty crocheting hook?

> I rarely go anywhere without my beloved Swiss Army Knife. I got the
> fanciest one that they make that doesn't have a corkscrew.

The most usefull part of a swiss army knife is the corkscrew. The second
one is the beer opener. And the third one is the knife.

And when I want to find the foreign body, I use bare fingers. I find
it much more efficient than my eyes. But most of the time I found that
the tire itself was dammaged (broken thread (wires?)) pointing toward
the tube. Then my main option is always to change tire. Is there
something more clever (less expensive) I could do?

Herve

[email protected] wrote:
> Hiya:
> You know how it goes at flat tire time. Step one: Fix tube or get
> replacement tube ready. Step two: See if you can find that gol-danged
> foreign object that holed your tube still embedded in the tire, and
> remove it before it flats you again.

My key ring has a very small tool with a blade and a fingernail file
with a pointy thing. I find that between the two, I can get about
anything out.

My main problem is that I find that goatheads frequently only do their
damage when the tire is fully inflated with weight on the bike. When
removed from the bike, the tip of the goathead disappears back into the
casing and is impossible to detect with either your finger or your
eyes. The pinhole in the tube is extremely small, and often I can't
find the leak without a tub of water and the tube significantly
inflated. Then I must do an extremely careful external inspection of
the tire to find the remains of the top side of the goat head, which is
usually nothing more than a small white mark in the tread.

[email protected] wrote:
> Hiya:
> You know how it goes at flat tire time. Step one: Fix tube or get
> replacement tube ready. Step two: See if you can find that gol-danged
> foreign object that holed your tube still embedded in the tire, and
> remove it before it flats you again.
> Currently, i'm using a $10 imitation Leatherman multitool. If I
> can't yank it out with the pliers, I can push it out with the awl to
> the point where I can yank it.
> What do you use -- especially if it weights less! Stamp tongs?
> Beesting removal tweezers from the first aid kit? Poke it out with a
> spare spoke or your trusty crocheting hook?

A hemostat one of my friends gave me is the best thing I've found so
far. It's fairly light and small. However I don't bother carrying it
with me. I use fairly heavy tires and rarely have problems with things
sticking in them. It's handy for lots of things at home though, so it
hangs in the tool rack by the bike bench.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
"Go cut down the carcass of the Duke of Longmot. Cut through the

Herve Henry <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > [email protected] wrote:
> >
> > I rarely go anywhere without my beloved Swiss Army Knife. I got the
> > fanciest one that they make that doesn't have a corkscrew.

> The most usefull part of a swiss army knife is the corkscrew. The second
> one is the beer opener. And the third one is the knife.

I own a corkscrew, and if I ever use it, I know where to find it: in
the kitchen drawer, next to the potato peeler and the lemon zester.
Get an SAK with a corkscrew and you have to do without the phillips
screwdriver.
Worst thing about corkscrews on a pocket knife is what they do do the
insides of your pockets.

Bill

| Americans will always do the right thing... |
| after they've exhausted all the alternatives. |
| -Winston Churchill |